Emergency vs Parking brake

Something sounds off. Maybe your battery? The solenoid that activates or releases the parking brake should be instant like any other electric switch operation. The operation on mine either way is done before I release the button.

Nah, it’s operating as it should. It‘s just that it’s annoying to have to have my foot on the brake in order to engage or disengage, and a standard handbrake is quicker for me.

I also don’t like certain other electronics, like automatic climate control systems, lane-keeping assist systems, etc.

I just prefer completely manual control over certain systems.

My wife’s 2018 Civic (6MT) has the electronic parking brake.

I hate it.

It takes longer to engage/disengage, and will not engage or disengage unless your foot is all the way down on the brake.

I much prefer a manual handbrake.

The HR-V electronic parking brake automatically disengages as soon as you hit the gas :unsure:

Maybe because it’s an automatic?

My wife’s Civic is manual.

True, but I thought they'd still work the same way, through it's possible they're different.

Auto EPB disengagement in a manual would actually be a great idea. Easier to use it for hill holding or any other time you'd need to use the parking brake to assist you with launching from a stop.

True, but I thought they'd still work the same way, through it's possible they're different.

Auto EPB disengagement in a manual would actually be a great idea. Easier to use it for hill holding or any other time you'd need to use the parking brake to assist you with launching from a stop.
It actually has that feature, but it’s separate from the parking brake. There’s a “HOLD” button. It‘s also automatic on a hill. It holds the brake for you. Of course, I don’t need it, because I learned on vehicles that didn’t have it. But, it is convenient, and I go ahead and use it because it’s not intrusive like it was on my 2016 WRX (on that car, I had it switched off).

However, it is separate. When I engage the parking brake, that servo is audible from inside the car and out. But, with the hold feature, it just holds brake line pressure somehow.

Also, there is no emergency braking capability to this system. After reading This thread last night, I decided to try it out, so, from about 5 mph, I engaged the EPB. The rear wheels locked for a split second, and then the EPB released.

It actually has that feature, but it’s separate from the parking brake. There’s a “HOLD” button. It‘s also automatic on a hill. It holds the brake for you. Of course, I don’t need it, because I learned on vehicles that didn’t have it. But, it is convenient, and I go ahead and use it because it’s not intrusive like it was on my 2016 WRX (on that car, I had it switched off).

However, it is separate. When I engage the parking brake, that servo is audible from inside the car and out. But, with the hold feature, it just holds brake line pressure somehow.

Also, there is no emergency braking capability to this system. After reading This thread last night, I decided to try it out, so, from about 5 mph, I engaged the EPB. The rear wheels locked for a split second, and then the EPB released.

On some of those systems if you pull up and hold the switch it will act like a emergency brake.

I don't have much occasion to use a parking brake here in The Dead Flat Swamp. When I lived in Denver, yes, there were hills. I knew to turn the wheels to or away from the curb depending which way the car was facing, and to put on the parking brake. I seemed to be in a minority, though. In Golden, CO, particularly, the hills in town could be sort of steep, and yet I was usually the only one I saw turning his wheels while parked.

Here, if there is a bit of an incline where I park, I'll put on the electric brake. But it isn't necessary very often.

Back