Emergency Parking Brake

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always use the parking brake. My Mustang I park in gear, and when I start it I do the neutral shifter jiggle thing and keep my right foot on the brake when I start it. Any automatic car I drive I put in neutral, then put the parking brake on, let the brake off so the parking brake catches, then put it in park.

Originally Posted By: Silk
I'll just walk away shaking my head.

Don't let the door hit you in the bum!

13.gif

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
I just read through "how to be a good car owner article on U.S. World News Report - Cars (http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/ownership/40-ways-you-are-killing-your-car/ss-BBIhDoU?ocid=iehp)

One of the tips was to always set the emergency parking brake as it can put strain on an automatic transmission if you don't...is that true? Honestly, never heard of that. Take care all.

Always, manual or automatic transmission. I used to work in an oil change/tune-up shop, and at that time Fords had a nasty habit of jumping out of park.

As well, one of my fellow techs left a VW Beetle in gear w/o the parking brake set. This was before clutch safety switches, and the lead mechanic, a very good Scottish fellow, reached in through the window and turned the key with the intention of bumping the starter so as to rotate the distributor shaft slightly. The car started in gear and took off in reverse. We got it stopped, but not before it had damaged the tool shelf under the big scope. Yikes, a close call that could have been worse.

Much worse, a few years ago a woman left her young children playing in her Chrysler van. Chrysler was late in adopting an interlock, and the kids were able to pull the shifter out of park. The van was parked on a slope and rolled back backward, hitting the driver's friend and crippling her. The newspaper story was focused on how the injured woman was not allowed to sue Chrysler because of our mandatory no-fault public insurance. The role of the driver in not setting the parking brake was not mentioned.

It was corporate policy at my last job, but it made most of my coworkers crazy when I'd set the parking brake in our shared work truck.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Its law that you use the parking brake.

Well, not really. Not in all cases.

DMV Handbook, page 52, 2018 version.

When parking on a hill, turn wheel against curb and set parking brake.

Does not say it is required all the time.

in the early 70s i worked at a trencher mfg in the experimental shop. there was a law suit over the brake. the term "emergency parking brake" is a contradiction in terms. the term emergency brake means to stop it as to roles. the term parking brake is for when it is stopped and will NOT hold a rolling machine. been there done that.

always set the parking brake first!! those never using it won't be able to in time as the cable will rust fast!!!

I use the parking brake on every vehicle I've ever driven, much less owned. With a manual transmission vehicle, I leave the vehicle in gear as well as setting the parking brake.

My wife who never owned a vehicle with manual transmission rarely sets the parking brake on any vehicle she uses.

I always set the brake. I grew up in hill territory. Sometimes with the brake and left in 1st a vehicle might roll. Even worse if parked on wet leaves.

In Park, if ONE WHEEL loses traction (wet leaves) the car will move. Why rely on the diff?

Most folks I know who drive automatics don't set the brake, most folks I know who live(d) in flat areas don't set the brake.

-m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back