Aftermarket brake caliper kit that eliminates parking brake function. Wow!

I was looking at another car site and there is a thread about a company that makes an aftermarket replacement brake caliper kit. That’s not unusual, but what caught my eye was the kit eliminates the emergency, or what some call the parking brake, from the vehicle. There is no option or way to have a emergency/parking brake when using this kit.

I can’t imagine any reputable company making/selling such a kit in the highly litigated world we live in or a private repair shop installing it. Maybe this is common and I’m just finding out about it? Is it legal to have a (non historic registered) car registered in any state without a functioning emergency brake?

I was looking at another car site and there is a thread about a company that makes an aftermarket replacement brake caliper kit. That’s not unusual, but what caught my eye was the kit eliminates the emergency, or what some call the parking brake, from the vehicle. There is no option or way to have a emergency/parking brake when using this kit.

I can’t imagine any reputable company making/selling such a kit in the highly litigated world we live in or a private repair shop installing it. Maybe this is common and I’m just finding out about it? Is it legal to have a (non historic registered) car so in any state without a functioning emergency brake?
Race cars?

That's pretty wild, i guess they can't be sued if they tell you it'll eliminate the e brake. It'd be your fault for buying it.

I mean it's eliminating the parking brake, not the actual brakes and I assume it is an automatic? I use the parking brake on manual vehicles but have never touched it in automatics. My state doesn't check the parking brake...

I mean it's eliminating the parking brake, not the actual brakes and I assume it is an automatic? I use the parking brake on manual vehicles but have never touched it in automatics. My state doesn't check the parking brake...

Pretty sure that Maryland checks for a working parking brake. Set brake, put in gear, must hold. Or at least it used to be that way.

Weird. I know most drivers never use the E brake, but I bet the car can't be sold if it doesn't function per OEM intent.

In the US, I think you can sell almost anything sans warranty, etc. The onus is on the buyer to pass any applicable safety and emissions inspections.

I can’t imagine any reputable company making/selling such a kit in the highly litigated world we live in or a private repair shop installing it. Maybe this is common and I’m just finding out about it? Is it legal to have a (non historic registered) car registered in any state without a functioning emergency brake?
I would be more interested if it deleted the E-brake, as I think that would attract a lot of buyers.
The E-brake is exactly what he is referring to (see above).

Have you ever applied the parking while going 60 mph? You would slow down faster if you stuck your left foot out the door onto the pavement. A parking brake is just what the name implies. A brake for parking so the car doesn't roll away. In MD and VA they test it by setting it and lightly stepping on the gas to see if the car moves. Nobody tests it while moving, letalone at any significant speed.

Have you ever applied the parking while going 60 mph? You would slow down faster if you stuck your left foot out the door onto the pavement. A parking brake is just what the name implies. A brake for parking so the car doesn't roll away. In MD and VA they test it by setting it and lightly stepping on the gas to see if the car moves. Nobody tests it while moving, let alone at any significant speed.
it depends on the car and how well maintained the parking brake is. plenty of cars you can lock up the wheels with the parking brake if you pull on the lever hard enough, but most e brakes aren't that strong from the factory or have never been adjusted properly or the inside of the rotor is all rusty.

I'm wondering if it's a similar year from the same generation that just didn't have the parking brake in the caliper , but instead used a drum in the rotor hat ... Sure it will bolt to the knuckle, but is it the right one ...

I was thinking of the electric parking brake, which I consider to be almost useless and a likely maintenance issue. Yes, I love manual parking brakes.
Apparently the electric e-brake on VW Tiguans do work at speed. Had a co-worker take a customer for a test drive and he activated the e brake and apparently it works better than expected.

Pretty sure that Maryland checks for a working parking brake. Set brake, put in gear, must hold. Or at least it used to be that way.

In the US, I think you can sell almost anything sans warranty, etc. The onus is on the buyer to pass any applicable safety and emissions inspections.
I Know for sure PA and WV it's required for inspection!

Back