Emergency Parking Brake

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use it almost always. Takes pressure off the parking pawl. Minimizes/prevets that loud CLUNNNNGGGG when I shift out of park on a steep hill.

I always set it as well...but never knew that reason. Awesome...appreciate it.

I live on a hill but I only use the P break on steep hills. I don't want to stretch the cable but I want to keep it in working condition for when I do actually need it, like to slide around a corner
cool.gif

I always use it, BEFORE shifting into park. However be sure you get in the habit of releasing it because on some vehicles it can be a real PITA to service the pads, needing to be adjusted out very far then a fight to get a rear disc back on.

My wife and I never use the parking brake. Maybe if we parked on hills we might.

We live in a marsh that was drained over 150 years ago, so we're table flat and never have had a use for setting the parking brake.

My daughter moved to Pittsburgh a few years ago and when we visit she always reminds me to set the parking brake, and when I ask why she explains to me that you have to in hilly terrain.

I use mine when I park on a hill or worried it could roll into the street.

1) Foot on Brake Pedal
2) Vehicle in Neutral
3) Engage Parking Brake
4) Let off on Brake Pedal
5) Vehicle in Park

This way, the vehicle weight is on the Parking Brake and the Transmission Pawl is a backup.

When I back out of my driveway (incline) I coast with vehicle in Neutral and listen for any dragging/hangup in the Parking Brakes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MasterSolenoid
I use mine when I park on a hill or worried it could roll into the street.

1) Foot on Brake Pedal
2) Vehicle in Neutral
3) Engage Parking Brake
4) Let off on Brake Pedal
5) Vehicle in Park

This way, the vehicle weight is on the Parking Brake and the Transmission Pawl is a backup.

Doing this gives you a good feel for the brake too, you can determine exactly how many clicks you need to lock the wheels.

Originally Posted By: Dave9
I always use it, BEFORE shifting into park. However be sure you get in the habit of releasing it because on some vehicles it can be a real PITA to service the pads, needing to be adjusted out very far then a fight to get a rear disc back on.

Very good point. I forget to do that sometimes. There's a bit of movement before the parking brake sets, and I've experienced some clanging shifts out of park, though still not as bad as if I hadn't used the parking brake at all.

Originally Posted By: Silk
I guess you all leave your manual car parked in gear ?

I used to, in all of my previous manual vehicles, why?

I've done this on every automatic transmission car I've ever owned. I apply the parking brake after I've stopped,before shifting it into park.

I always park my manual transmission cars in gear along with the parking brake.

Yep without the parking brake at home as its parked on the flat but anywhere it could roll always the park brake in addition to in gear.

I would on flattish ground.

My brother left his 2002 jetta VR6 manual in 2ND gear on a pretty steep driveway let out the brake and he heard a crunch.

Timing chain stretched and broke....

When I was young and nieve,
I had a (manual transmission) older truck parked on my (incline) driveway.

The Parking Brake was OFF and the vehicle rolled down my driveway,
across the street and up onto the neighbors lawn across the street.

The neighbor lady came out (wasn't too upset),
I was a little embarrassed.

Got in my truck, started the engine and drove off their lawn.

After that, I learned to use the Parking Brake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back