Educate me about Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently made the switch to Amsoil Signature Series for my Silverado. However I am a bit OCD when it comes to maintainance and will more than likely change the oil well before I see any benefit from an extended OCI.

I can get Amsoil at PC prices. I also have a 2014 Accord to consider now as well. Prior to my recent OC I had used Mobil1 exclusively and changed the oil in my truck every 3k for no reason other than why not?

So that brings me to today. I am getting antsy as I have now passed 3k on this oil change. I'm wondering if there is actually a benefit to using Amsoil over Mobil1. I'm really looking for an unbiased opinion of this if possible. If there is no benefit than I would almost prefer to use Mobil1 since I can get it locally much faster. I have my eye on the XL line as I don't believe signature is of benefit to me unless I'm missing something.

What about amsoil oil filters as well? I'm more than likely going to have the dealer continue with oil changes on the Accord. Would you bring in some XL and a filter or just oil and let them put and oem Honda filter in?

Mobil 1 is a very robust motor oil.

It would work fine in all your vehicles.

In fact, a good dino oil like Mobil 5000 or PYB would work well at 3,000 mile OCI's.

The OEM Honda filter seems to be well respected here and is a good choice.

You can change the M1 at 3,000 miles if you want.

But if you accidentally run it out to 5,000 miles, you can rest easy knowing you are well within the capabilities of the oil you have selected.

Many here on BITOG run M1EP at a 10,000 mile OCI without any problems.

Amsoil SS is a fantastic oil, but I would not change it out at 3k. It's just getting started! I would have to believe that your OLM would register something more around 8k before asking you to change it. You can definately, safely run that oil for much more than 3k. I have used SS for a long time and normally change it around 7k in my 2 cars, and OLM in my truck. Even those mileages are a little premature to change the oil, but like you I am a little anal on my maintenance.

The XL oil is also fantastic, and that or the OE line, which is also a great oil might be more cost effective for what you are doing with it.

I don't believe that my opinion is biased since I use different oils all the time, but the Amsoil line of oils are all excellent. I personally believe it to be superior to Mobil 1, although some may differ in opinion.

Even if you don't run super long intervals, the test results on the SS vs M1 should give you some piece of mind in knowing that the oil in your engine is probably protecting it as well, or better in just about every category.

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf

As far as your Honda, I would feel confident in using their OEM filter or something like a Fram Ultra with the XL oil and 7500 mile intervals (which I think is what Honda recommends)

While I was the service manager at a Nissan dealer, we starting selling both the OE and XL lines of Amsoil in customers cars, along with a 7,500 mile interval and tire rotation (to keep maintenance conviennt) . I had sent in several samples of different Nissan engines using both OE and XL Amsoil oil, along with Nissan OEM filters and the UOA was excellent. Between 7.5k - 10k intervals, TBN still was strong, wear metals were very good, and nothing looked out of the ordinary. Most OEM's recommend something like a 7.5k interval, and this is using regular oil and filters. Therefore, stretching your 3k to 7.5k with any of the Amsoil lines wouldn't be a problem at all. If you have an oil that is still staying clean and in good shape at 7.5k, there is really no benefit to changing that oil at 3k. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not an owner who try's to stretch out my maintenance intervals as long as I can to pinch pennies. I'm not cheap when it comes to my vehicles. I don't have a problem with spending a little bit more on a premium product, and replacing it before it is completely worn out. That good feeling and piece of mind is worth the extra money for me, but don't short change yourself either. Not only is changing your synthetic oil at 3k a waste of money and resources, in most cases there is no benefit with new oil when compared to what you have in the sump now at 3k. It isn't going to lubricate any better, or clean better, or protect better. If the oil is in good shape, it's in good shape.

Just my 2 cents on the whole thing. But like I said, if you want to stick to the shorter intervals, you can feel good about running one of the best oils available in the SS, or just as good about running XL which is also a fantastic oil. I would choice either or over M1 from my experience over the years.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Might as well use the cheapest mineral SN-rated oil at that interval. Seriously, someone should fine you for even thinking of changing Amsoil's SSO at that interval!

+1 buy the cheapest bulk oil for 3000 oil change intervals...your obviously the "cheap insurance"/"peace of mind" kind of guy, being practical is not something your accustomed to.

Sorry I couldn't give you a non-biased opinion as mobil 1 or amsoil ss at 3000 OCI is a waste of money and resources.

One thing stops me from being frustrated with people like you, you bring my oil change cost down by overpaying these companies for your specific needs!

I would use the OE Amsoil. It will save money and it is perfect for your interval. I use Amsoil and run it out a ways.

Mobil 1 is good as well, but you don't need it, or the SS Amsoil.

You could compromise and use the XL Amsoil.

Wow. Thanks for the info! What makes Amsoil better than Mobil1? I'm going to extend the intervals until the OLM on both my truck and car. Signature would be the too of the line? What makes it or even oem or XL better than mobil1. Oil is cheap so cost isn't a huge issue, and I would prefer to have fresh oil more often.

Would you recommend OE, XL, Sognature vs Mobil1 and more importantly, why?

I know one thing is for sure I will not be changing everu 3k like I used to.

I have ran mine 4500 miles every nine days and use pennzoil platinum 5w30 and change it because I get free tire rotation where I bought the tires and it only costs my a 10 spot to hand them 3 qts and my own filter. I could go longer but with direct injection and me not turning it off during the nine hour drive I just change it on habit. I like Amsoil but a reap the rebates at Menards on PP and I got 18 qts of qsud for a 1$ each so I am on that soap box right now. Any quality synthetic with honda hto6 spec would be fine for your car. Out of warranty run what works for you but I would stay with a spec'd oil..PP/PU/Qsud or Mobil 1

I just checked pricing on XL and Signature. What are the differences between the two? It's a $2/qt difference, while that's not much at all what if any benefits are here with Signature Series. I will not be going over 7.5k per OCI.

It seems that Amsoil is supposed to be the better oil, but why?

Amsoil SSO is made from primarily group IV base stocks. (PAO) many competitors use primarily group III base stocks (hydro cracked mineral oil) with Amsoil SSO The pour point is lower and it can handle high temperatures better than either of the lesser Amsoil products or most competitors. Yes, any oil that meets the specs will protect your engine. and Mobil 1 is a great product that is well proven. but, in my opionion, if you want the best and cost is no barrier....

If you are going to drop to Amsoil's XL or OE line, you might as well use M1. once again, just my opinion....

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Amsoil SSO is made from primarily group IV base stocks. (PAO) many competitors use primarily group III base stocks (hydro cracked mineral oil) with Amsoil SSO The pour point is lower and it can handle high temperatures better than either of the lesser Amsoil products or most competitors. Yes, any oil that meets the specs will protect your engine. and Mobil 1 is a great product that is well proven. but, in my opionion, if you want the best and cost is no barrier....

If you are going to drop to Amsoil's XL or OE line, you might as well use M1. once again, just my opinion....

That's what I was looking for! I know that SS is supposedly the one of the best oils out there. But I was wondering about XL and OE, compared to M1.

Also keep in mind I will not be exceeding my OLM for the OCI from now on. I would like to also buy a case, which if I buy a case of SS I would be able to buy a case of XL and two filters for the same price. Which has me torn...

Also if the case that Amsoil XL is not leaps and bounds better, my dealer will change the oil with Mobil1 and a ACDelco filter for 64.99 which makes it very appealing to not DIY...

Originally Posted By: Wills05

That's what I was looking for! I know that SS is supposedly the one of the best oils out there. But I was wondering about XL and OE, compared to M1.

Also keep in mind I will not be exceeding my OLM for the OCI from now on. I would like to also buy a case, which if I buy a case of SS I would be able to buy a case of XL and two filters for the same price. Which has me torn...

well 7500 seems more reasonable, any quality synthetic can handle that.

Mobil 1/Pennzoil Platinum/Castrol Edge/Valvoline Synpower

Amsoil isn't worth the cost unless it is SS and that's only worth it if you can extend your oil change interval to at least 15,000 and I doubt you will do that.

So since your someone who is a big fan of Mobil 1, continue to use that with full confidence, Mobil 1 is suppose to be guaranteed up to 10,000 miles. So to handle 7,500, it will be more then sufficient.

Oil filter? the best bang for the buck and in fact filtering efficiency wise, Fram Ultra is the best, it is rated up to 15,000 miles and you could easily use it for two oil change interval, as the filter gets loaded it becomes more efficient.

As far as your statement about "i would like to keep fresh oil in there", in laymen terms oil's detergents are more in effect towards the beginning on an oil change, and later on the anti-wear aspect are more in effect, this is shown in many used oil analysis where for example a 7500 mile run and 8500 mile run had the same wear metals. So your probably doing more harm then good by changing your oil every 3000 miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Originally Posted By: Wills05

well 7500 seems more reasonable, any quality synthetic can handle that.

Mobil 1/Pennzoil Platinum/Castrol Edge/Valvoline Synpower

Amsoil isn't worth the cost unless it is SS and that's only worth it if you can extend your oil change interval to at least 15,000 and I doubt you will do that.

So since your someone who is a big fan of Mobil 1, continue to use that with full confidence, Mobil 1 is suppose to be guaranteed up to 10,000 miles. So to handle 7,500, it will be more then sufficient.

Oil filter? the best bang for the buck and in fact filtering efficiency wise, Fram Ultra is the best, it is rated up to 15,000 miles and you could easily use it for two oil change interval, as the filter gets loaded it becomes more efficient.

As far as your statement about "i would like to keep fresh oil in there", in laymen terms oil's detergents are more in effect towards the beginning on an oil change, and later on the anti-wear aspect are more in effect, this is shown in many used oil analysis where for example a 7500 mile run and 8500 mile run had the same wear metals. So your probably doing more harm then good by changing your oil every 3000 miles.

Why is it not worth it to run Amsoil in OE or XL? I see a lot of info out there about their flagship Signature Series but not so much with XL, which (correct me if I am wrong) would be comparable to M1?

The OLM on my'13 Accord 4 banger with just over 10K on M1 recently showed 15% when it was changed. I ALWAYS run quality synthetic and filters for 10K and have been for years. If I were going to change at 3K I'd used SuperTech or similar dino, otherwise you're wasting good money.

AMSoil is basically charging more for their oils that have longer change intervals:
OE is their oil for changing at the manufacturer's recommended interval.
XL gives extra life over the manufacturer-recommended interval; 10,000 miles.
SS is for up to 25,000 miles or one year in normal service, or 15,000 miles in severe service.

Arguing about oil is like arguing about whos wife/girlfriend is the prettiest or uglyest.

All of my 5 cars listed below have used Amsoil since 1st Oil Change....a combined total of 467k miles AND 50+ years of combined service.

03S2000,02Z06 &96GST use 0w30 while the 02CRV and 13EXV use 0w20.

No arguing.....just saying.

\db2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back