Which Oil and Filter, and Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're changing oil at 3k just cause you're bored and like working on your truck,I understand that,but why not just leave the oil alone and find something else on your truck to work on??
Just a thought.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Might as well go with the best since you want to over maintain it, go with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and a Fram Ultra.

It isn't over maintaining it. The OP has a great point that many here dont care to realize. Oil is cheap and motors are expensive. Just because an oil can go more than X number of miles doesnt mean it should. I think he has a good point. I use Mobil 1 AFE for no more than 5k and Royal Purple API for no more than 7k and NEVER use an oil filter more than once. Heck I change my air filters every other oil change. Could all these things go farther? Probably, but why risk it. Why do I PM my vehicle on the same rigorous schedule as an Apache Helicopter? Because I care about it (and I dont have an Apache yet
grin.gif
)

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Might as well go with the best since you want to over maintain it, go with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and a Fram Ultra.

It isn't over maintaining it. The OP has a great point that many here dont care to realize. Oil is cheap and motors are expensive. Just because an oil can go more than X number of miles doesnt mean it should. I think he has a good point. I use Mobil 1 AFE for no more than 5k and Royal Purple API for no more than 7k and NEVER use an oil filter more than once. Heck I change my air filters every other oil change. Could all these things go farther? Probably, but why risk it. Why do I PM my vehicle on the same rigorous schedule as an Apache Helicopter? Because I care about it (and I dont have an Apache yet
grin.gif
)

Oil is far from cheap. Let's not even go into the environmental issues to which there are so many listing them would be near imposdible but let's get real here and consider how many American lives are lost in the sandbox fighting for the stuff.
Oil isn't cheap. That's the most foolish comment I've read here yet.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

grin.gif
)

Oil is far from cheap. Let's not even go into the environmental issues to which there are so many listing them would be near imposdible but let's get real here and consider how many American lives are lost in the sandbox fighting for the stuff.

It isn't even the most foolish comment in that post.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

grin.gif
)

Oooh Mr. Friendly neighbor to the north, you cant be serious. Let me try and tackle these one at a time:

-Environmental issues? What issues? The used oil is returned to a recycling center. The refineries here in the U.S. operate under such stringent EPA regulations that they are much cleaner than many would expect.

-Im sure everyone has a different definition of "cheap," but at 2-6 dollars a quart, yeah its pretty darn affordable. Dont take my word for it though. Stop changing your oil and see how much the repairs cost.

-Soldiers dying for oil? Oh goodness. You may as well stop while your ahead. Im pretty sure there are forum rules against discussing politics instead of oil.

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete

It isn't even the most foolish comment in that post.

Something you dont agree with there pete?

My 1994 LS400 has more than 370k miles on Odometer, OCI with dino 7-10k/6mo and 15-20k/12mo with synthetic, oil filter is changed once a year.

In 21 years the car used 21 low end to mid-range oil filters, I used about 180 quarts dino in 15 years and 30 quarts synthetic oil. The cost of $2/qt dino and $5/qt syn and $3/filter total about $600.

For 3k OCI with synthetic and high-end oil filters I would use 740 quarts(at $5/qt) and 120 filters(at $8/ea). Total cost would be $4650.

The different is $4,000. The question is 3k OCI with syn oil and high-end oil filter will make my 370+k miles engine run any better ? The answer is a big NO, the only different is I save $4000 over 21 years and the engine is running well without any problem.

3K OCI with synthetic oil and high-end oil filter is a waste of resource and money. But, it is your money you can spend it anyway you like.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
My 1994 LS400 has more than 370k miles on Odometer, OCI with dino 7-10k/6mo and 15-20k/12mo with synthetic, oil filter is changed once a year.

In 21 years the car used 21 low end to mid-range oil filters, I used about 180 quarts dino in 15 years and 30 quarts synthetic oil. The cost of $2/qt dino and $5/qt syn and $3/filter total about $600.

For 3k OCI with synthetic and high-end oil filters I would use 740 quarts(at $5/qt) and 120 filters(at $8/ea). Total cost would be $4650.

The different is $4,000. The question is 3k OCI with syn oil and high-end oil filter will make my 370+k miles engine run any better ? The answer is a big NO, the only different is I save $4000 over 21 years and the engine is running well without any problem.

3K OCI with synthetic oil and high-end oil filter is a waste of resource and money. But, it is your money you can spend it anyway you like.

It seems like many people dont know that it costs money to maintain a vehicle. We refer to it as "cost of doing business."
wink.gif

$4000 over 21 years (252 months) = $15.87 per month.

So now, how "expensive" is it to maintain your vehicle? I bet almost everyone here wastes more than $15 a month on nonsense. When you put the math to it, that argument really doesn't hold water.
36.gif

Im not going to be following a 3k oil change interval, that was what I used to do prior to doing a ton more research. My truck has an oil life monitor so more than likely my oil change intervals will end up somewhere between 3k and the olm.

I'm not looking to push an oil to its limits, I am looking for an oil that is excellent and will provide the best protection for my engine.

Personally I think it's worth it to spend the extra few bucks and change it more frequently, it's amazing the lengths these lubricants can be pushed to but I am not looking to do that.

Is M1 EP at roughly $6 per quart going to provide any better or worse protection versus Amsoil Signature Series at $9 a quart.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

It seems like many people dont know that it costs money to maintain a vehicle. We refer to it as "cost of doing business."
wink.gif

$4000 over 21 years (252 months) = $15.87 per month.

So now, how "expensive" is it to maintain your vehicle? I bet almost everyone here wastes more than $15 a month on nonsense. When you put the math to it, that argument really doesn't hold water.
36.gif

If you wanted to break it down even further that's under $4 a week.

Originally Posted By: Wills05
Im not going to be following a 3k oil change interval, that was what I used to do prior to doing a ton more research. My truck has an oil life monitor so more than likely my oil change intervals will end up somewhere between 3k and the olm.

I'm not looking to push an oil to its limits, I am looking for an oil that is excellent and will provide the best protection for my engine.

Personally I think it's worth it to spend the extra few bucks and change it more frequently, it's amazing the lengths these lubricants can be pushed to but I am not looking to do that.

Is M1 EP at roughly $6 per quart going to provide any better or worse protection versus Amsoil Signature Series at $9 a quart.

Im right there with you. I haven't used Amsoil before, but judging by its availability (or lack thereof) I would stick with Mobil 1 if that is the route you are wanting to go. I would still recommend Royal Purple HPS though. Cheaper than Amsoil and (arguably) provides better performance.

HPS oil:
http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/hps-motor-oil/

RP filter:
http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/royal-purple-oil-filters/

It isn't over maintaining it. The OP has a great point that many here dont care to realize. Oil is cheap and motors are expensive. Just because an oil can go more than X number of miles doesnt mean it should. I think he has a good point. I use Mobil 1 AFE for no more than 5k and Royal Purple API for no more than 7k and NEVER use an oil filter more than once. Heck I change my air filters every other oil change. Could all these things go farther? Probably, but why risk it.
You are kidding, right? Synthetics used for 5-7K, air filters changed every other OC is not over maintaining? What do you call it? Make me feel good while I waste money and gain absolutely nothing by doing so other than that feeling?

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
It isn't over maintaining it. The OP has a great point that many here dont care to realize. Oil is cheap and motors are expensive. Just because an oil can go more than X number of miles doesnt mean it should. I think he has a good point. I use Mobil 1 AFE for no more than 5k and Royal Purple API for no more than 7k and NEVER use an oil filter more than once. Heck I change my air filters every other oil change. Could all these things go farther? Probably, but why risk it.
You are kidding, right? Synthetics used for 5-7K, air filters changed every other OC is not over maintaining? What do you call it? Make me feel good while I waste money and gain absolutely nothing by doing so other than that feeling?

What is this phrase, "over maintaining?"
confused.gif
If having a strict maintenance schedule is "over maintaining" then I am guilty as charged, but I do not understand the negative connotation you place on preventative maintenance. I dont buy new vehicles every five years like many Americans. When I take delivery of a vehicle, I am going to keep it for the long haul. You say I am "over maintaining," but in reality, I am taking proactive measures to keep my vehicle running at optimum efficiency and prepare it for the long service life that lies ahead.

Man I TOTALLY agree that changing M1 and Amsoil every 3k is wild !!! Holy cow yeah that is SUPER under using those two products. Good gosh I can't hardly imagine that. Though I change mine every 4k to 5k miles with Pennzoil Ultra or Castrol w titanium.
But I am going to change that going forward. Going to go 6k to 7k miles. I have gone 6500 miles before on the PUP. I know that us still short on that. But I don't mind doing it. I enjoy doing it and I also use that time to inspect under my car. CV joints, main drive belt and any thing else that looks out of order too. I enjoy driving actually and put 26k miles a year on my car. So I want to check the underside of it four times a year vs. Two times.
But going back to what you said about Amsoil or Mobil 1 changed that often is wild. I ain't in the boat yet.

I am looking for an oil that is excellent and will provide the best protection for my engine.

What I am looking to do is use the best oil and filter combination.

The question is which oil and filter perform the best.

I'm wondering if there is some reason that Amsoil is truly better than M1 in my case.

No.

Changing an air filter every 6k would actually result in more harm to the engine due to the higher ingestion of silicon in the early part of the cellulose filters life in which the efficiency is much lower than the end of the filters life.

So you are causing more harm than good here.

I am all for short oil intervals if you have a reason. My Buick I change every 3k with conventional because a uoa determined I have an unknown source of silicon entering the engine (probably intake gaskets again) and running synthetic at 6k caused the build up of abrasives to make matters worse.

I still run my Fram Ultra for 5x oci until I hit 15k FCI though. After I run out of Ultras I'll probably use a less expensive filter every oci to reduce further particulate buildup.

Any namebrand synthetic can go 10k easy.
If you want to get under your car and check things out,you can certainly do it without doing an oil change.
I don't understand people who pay alot of money for a top tier synthetic and they can't wait to get it out just so they can do it all over again asap.
Silly

confused.gif
If having a strict maintenance schedule is "over maintaining" then I am guilty as charged, but I do not understand the negative connotation you place on preventative maintenance. I dont buy new vehicles every five years like many Americans. When I take delivery of a vehicle, I am going to keep it for the long haul. You say I am "over maintaining," but in reality, I am taking proactive measures to keep my vehicle running at optimum efficiency and prepare it for the long service life that lies ahead.
I, like you, bought my 2010 FX4 brand new for the long haul, however, the difference is that I am using hard core data to determine the maintenance window as opposed to (what you seem to suggest) as a "feel good seat of the pants" maintenance window (unless you have some data you have not shared). While UOAs do not show actual engine wear, they do show the wear metals and silicon levels generated in the oil. Take a look at all of the Pennzoil Ultra OCs (which were in the 5-7.5K range) and then look at the OCs which are 10K and above (including the conventional ones) and I think you will find the wear metals are lower per mile on the extended runs versus the shorter ones and in most cases there was still life left in the oil when it was changed.

I started my FX4s life thinking that short OCIs with a premium synthetic would be the be-all, end-all to ensuring a long engine life, I have learned from a few veterans here, that in the end, as long as the fluids are not overused, the engine life will remain the same. Thus far, that has held true and I plan to see how long the engine in the FX4 will last doing the same thing I have been for the last 40K or so and that is using a synthetic for the amount of time/mileage as dictated by the data. As a side note, look at the silicon in the UOAs and compare to the age of the air filter, at 80K use on a Napa Gold, I am starting to see a slight uptick on the silicon so I will be changing it soon. While some may say based upon my intervals I am "under maintaining" my FX4, the data clearly shows otherwise. There is a difference between a strict maintenance schedule and simply maintaining a vehicle based upon emotions/supposition--and there is nothing wrong with doing that, but see it for what it is.

Changing an air filter every 6k would actually result in more harm to the engine due to the higher ingestion of silicon in the early part of the cellulose filters life in which the efficiency is much lower than the end of the filters life.

So you are causing more harm than good here...

Except that none of that is accurate. It is NOT more harmful, I live in a dustbowl and must maintain a filter that is capable of removing contaminants from the air 12 months a year at optimum efficiency. Oh and the harmful silicon levels? Never once shown up on a UOA. As a matter of fact they have typically been 3x lower than "average." So what this means is that changing my air filter every 10ish thousand miles is actually helping my engine!

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
confused.gif
I, like you, bought my 2010 FX4 brand new for the long haul, however, the difference is that I am using hard core data to determine the maintenance window as opposed to (what you seem to suggest) as a "feel good seat of the pants" maintenance window (unless you have some data you have not shared). While UOAs do not show actual engine wear, they do show the wear metals and silicon levels generated in the oil. Take a look at all of the Pennzoil Ultra OCs (which were in the 5-7.5K range) and then look at the OCs which are 10K and above (including the conventional ones) and I think you will find the wear metals are lower per mile on the extended runs versus the shorter ones and in most cases there was still life left in the oil when it was changed.

I started my FX4s life thinking that short OCIs with a premium synthetic would be the be-all, end-all to ensuring a long engine life, I have learned from a few veterans here, that in the end, as long as the fluids are not overused, the engine life will remain the same. Thus far, that has held true and I plan to see how long the engine in the FX4 will last doing the same thing I have been for the last 40K or so and that is using a synthetic for the amount of time/mileage as dictated by the data. As a side note, look at the silicon in the UOAs and compare to the age of the air filter, at 80K use on a Napa Gold, I am starting to see a slight uptick on the silicon so I will be changing it soon. While some may say based upon my intervals I am "under maintaining" my FX4, the data clearly shows otherwise. There is a difference between a strict maintenance schedule and simply maintaining a vehicle based upon emotions/supposition--and there is nothing wrong with doing that, but see it for what it is.

Emotions and suppositions eh? Well, it appears we will have to agree to disagree. Let us postpone this debate shall we? We can pick it up in 20 years when we can both get together, break down our engines and compare results.
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back