Which Oil and Filter, and Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I'm looking to see what you all would recommend for my '05 Silverado 5.3 but more importantly why.

I had been using M1 5/30 EP and a K&N oil filter and for the last two changes I have been using Amsoil SS 5/30 and an EA oil filter. I'm not comfortable with extended intervals, when I was using M1 I was changing every 3k for not reason other than I was bored and oil is cheap. So I had the chance to get some Amsoil at wholesale cost so I did.

I'm wondering if there is some reason that Amsoil is truly better than M1 in my case. I'll be changing the oil roughly around the olm if not a bit earlier, again I like to just have fresh oil and go over the truck to make sure everything is good. Which filter would be the best to use? I'm not necessarily concerned too heavily about cost per change as I have used Amsoil SS and didn't get close to its potential.

I have considered going to M1 for the ease of picking it up and also I figure I can save about $10-15 per oil change.

Thank you for the help!

GM dexos oil and a ACDelco oil filter every 5K miles. Anything more than that is unnecessary.

FYI, my 2006 GMC Sierra 4.8 gets Quaker State green bottle 5W30 (have a ton, bought for $1 per quart) and a PF46 oil filter once a year.

Amsoil EA is one of the better filters out there, essentially the same as Royal Purple's synthetic media filter, both made by Champion labs. Fram Ultra is equivalent and may be cheaper depending on your application.

M1 with 6000-9000 mile change interval with any of the above filters would still be a very conservative plan. You could safely go longer.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Amsoil EA is one of the better filters out there, essentially the same as Royal Purple's synthetic media filter, both made by Champion labs. Fram Ultra is equivalent and may be cheaper depending on your application.

M1 with 6000-9000 mile change interval with any of the above filters would still be a very conservative plan. You could safely go longer.

What about M1's Extended Performance filter? Or even a AC Delco PF46E? Again I'm not looking for super super long oil changes but I want the best protection if that makes sense.

Amsoil better than Mobil 1? Really? I've heard people claim that but I've never seen any proof. There's no doubt that both are excellent products. "Better" or "best" is an almost impossible standard to establish. There are too many variables and not enough real world long run testing with controls and tear-downs including direct comparisons.

K&N push the idea of increased flow. The only way to get that from the same size filter is to reduce the amount of filtering as the oil goes through. To get increased oil flow you might also have to install a larger pump, reset the bypass valve(s) and increase oil gallery sizes. With a daily driver a standard filter like the Amsoil filter should do the job because you don't need increased flow, so accept a bit better filtering.

In the end you will pick the oil and filter you "like" best. From your concern and the research you are doing it sounds like you will do just fine.

Please, post your final selection.

Royal Purple oil and a Purolator synthetic or Royal Purple filter. Why? Because they are the best. End of story.

Last edited:
Any full synthetic oil and any name brand filter would work fine for your 3k interval. If it were mine, I'd UOA with a tbn and see what the oil looks like. For me, oil is cheap. But my time is precious and changing the oil every 3k is a waste of time.

Best protection? Id probably step up to a 0w40 or 5w40 and use a free flowing stainless mesh reusable media.

Do you also change out the PSF, BF, coolant, ATF, differential.... regularly??

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Royal Purple oil and a Purolator synthetic or Royal Purple filter. Why? Because they are the best. End of story.
29.gif

This:
Originally Posted By: Wills05
I'm not comfortable with extended intervals, when I was using M1 I was changing every 3k for not reason other than I was bored and oil is cheap.
and this:
I'm not necessarily concerned too heavily about cost per change as I have used Amsoil SS and didn't get close to its potential.
does not necessarily agree with this (unless you are now seeking to save money):
...I figure I can save about $10-15 per oil change.
But with that said, any synthetic oil you use for a 3K OCI will be underutilized so there is really no need to search for "the best" because with your OCI they are all "the best". M1 will more than serve your needs and when coupled with any mid-grade filter (FRAM TG, WIX, AC-Delco) you will be all set. However, you should consider going to at least a 5K OCI.

If you are only going 5k on changes you are already wasting a good oil that could go 10k easy.
For short changes just go with the cheapest namebrand and a midrange filter.

I agree. My 06 has 214,000 on the clock of all types of running. Usually change in the 5000-7500 range. A good dino, and decent filter is more than enough. For some reason people always give an engine what they think it needs, rather than what the engine actually needs. Basically your pouring yourself a glass of milk, drinking 1/2 and throwing the rest out because you feel like pouring yourself a new glass.

In that case, no recommendation is needed because you're not using the oil anywhere near its limits.

Oil that meets manufacturer's spec and a filter that meets manufacturer's spec...what are we talking about? Oh... yeah, Royal Purple being rebanded "average" quality items at a premium price
wink.gif

You are 100% correct about usage, interval etc. But not everyone wants to use their products to its fartherest degree. And there is NOTHING wrong with that either.
Quick question.. If you are in the hospital and have a PCA pump for pain.. Would you rather someone change out the bottle Before it is dry and empty or change it before it is empty? And yes, if changed early there will be "wasted" product in the tubing and the bottle too. And trust me when I tell you some places it is not easy to get a new bottle brought up right away because it is not carried on the regular floor stock.
People have the choices to do what they want to do. In this case the only wrong choice is going too long without changing it. Again, you are certainly correct in that this fella can go longer. But also not everyone wants to push what they are running to its limit. I don't believe you are not wrong for running products to where they are 100% spent either. Good for us to have choices
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
But also not everyone wants to push what they are running to its limit.
True; but running M1 and Amsoil for 3K is no where near any "limit".

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
This:
I'm not comfortable with extended intervals, when I was using M1 I was changing every 3k for not reason other than I was bored and oil is cheap.
and this:
I'm not necessarily concerned too heavily about cost per change as I have used Amsoil SS and didn't get close to its potential.
does not necessarily agree with this (unless you are now seeking to save money):
...I figure I can save about $10-15 per oil change.
But with that said, any synthetic oil you use for a 3K OCI will be underutilized so there is really no need to search for "the best" because with your OCI they are all "the best". M1 will more than serve your needs and when coupled with any mid-grade filter (FRAM TG, WIX, AC-Delco) you will be all set. However, you should consider going to at least a 5K OCI.

I'm not really looking to save money at all. What I am looking to do is use the best oil and filter combination. I understand that any synthetic oil is going to be able to achieve long intervals. That's not something that is a goal for me, I enjoy working on and maintaining my truck, hence why I want to be so conservative and "over maintain" it if you will.

I over maintain every fluid in my truck and I wanted to evaluate what would work the best. I am going to stick with a synthetic even though I don't take part in the extended intervals. The question is which oil and filter perform the best.

Last edited:
I over maintain every fluid in my truck and I wanted to evaluate what would work the best. I am going to stick with a synthetic even though I don't take part in the extended intervals. The question is which oil and filter perform the best.
I started with the same thoughts you did when I bought my FX4 new in 2010 but through the last 145K miles, I have learned a few things--namely 3K OCIs are a waste and do not gain any additional engine life. At the end of the day, there is no "best" per se and the short OCIs that you are doing are not going to stress any SN rated oil. Synthetics will not give you any better protection at that OCI than a synthetic blend or conventional will. Pick your poison and go from there--with zero worry.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

What about M1's Extended Performance filter? Or even a AC Delco PF46E? Again I'm not looking for super super long oil changes but I want the best protection if that makes sense.

You asked for "the best." That's not the M1 filter anymore, although in many cases I think M1 oil is the best choice (0w40 for example).

Back to filters- All the synthetic filters (EA, Royal Purple, Fram Ultra, Puorlator Synthetic) are superior to the M1. The M1 is a step up from a basic filter, but its a competitor to other semi-synthetic blended media filters with no wire backing like a Pure 1. I no longer use that type of filter at all. Wire-backing is such a great structural improvement which holds the media in position so that it can work best that I see no reason to ever do without it again. Its one of those "why hasn't this been the norm for 50 years?" kind of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back