Toyota oil and oil filter recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
As already said. You are upgrading going to synthetic anyway. Any synthetic meeting your mfg specs will get you to 10k oci.

Originally Posted by StevieC
My choice would be Signature Series but we need to know what you are driving.

I'm in the process of using up my Amsoil EA filters and going to Fram Ultra. The filtration is slightly better than Amsoil and the Amsoil price on their filters is much higher than the Fram Ultra for me so no need to stick with that filter IMO.

Amsoil SS is my top choice too but is it worth an extra $40-50 per oil change? Is Amsoil SS a lot better then mobil1 EP?

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by diyjake
I drive a 2009 Toyota Camry - about 30k a year
My wife drives a 2014 Toyota Sienna - about 15-20k a year

PP 5w20 or Vavoline Advanced Synthetic and FU 4967 filter
smile.gif

Why not 0w20, I believe that is what it calls for?

My choice would be Signature Series but we need to know what you are driving.

I'm in the process of using up my Amsoil EA filters and going to Fram Ultra. The filtration is slightly better than Amsoil and the Amsoil price on their filters is much higher than the Fram Ultra for me so no need to stick with that filter IMO.

Amsoil SS is my top choice too but is it worth an extra $40-50 per oil change? Is Amsoil SS a lot better then mobil1 EP?

I can't answer that question without certain members attacking me. So I will say this. I believe this to be the case but you will have to make that decision for yourself.

Originally Posted by Gebo
I do not think it is overkill as you are going to 10k OCI's. I'd do the SS and the Amsoil filter. I feel more comfortable with the longer OCI's and Amsoil filters. Maybe do an oil analysis at 5k and 10k the first time. Maybe experiment with the Fram Ultra and the Amsoil filter while doing the OCI's.

I guess I don't think right but I don't really consider the filter price if I am going 10K on it. How much extra am I gonna pay in a year for the filters? $10-20. $1-2/month?

What oil do you use and long is your OCI's?

Originally Posted by toneydoc
Autozone in AL has Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 extended performance filter on sale for 29.99
If you have Autozone near you, you should check and see if they have the same deal
Mobil 1 has a $17 rebate for that oil and filter purchase which makes the deal even better as final cost is 12.99

Happy motoring

Where do you find this rebate or how do you apply for it?

I can't answer that question without certain members attacking me. So I will say this. I believe this to be the case but you will have to make that decision for yourself.

Those who do criticize should realize that Amsoil isn't terribly priced up here, and would do well to note the mileage you rack up.

Amsoil SS and Mobil1 EP seem to be in the same top tier category correct? Now what does Amsoil XL and OE line compare to?

If I buy Amsoil OE with Fram Ultra filter and Mobil1 EP with their EP filter, Mobil1 would still cost about $10 cheaper.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
I drive a 2009 Toyota Camry - about 30k a year
My wife drives a 2014 Toyota Sienna - about 15-20k a year

PP 5w20 or Vavoline Advanced Synthetic and FU 4967 filter
smile.gif

Curious why do you recommend PP or Vavoline over Amsoil and Mobil1?

OP is willing to do 10K OCIs. That's not overkill for Amsoil, not even Mobil-1 EP, Castrol Edge EP or Ultra Platinum. 10Ks are long enough OCIs for any oil...... RedLine and Schaefers too.

Is it me or does Pennzoil Platinum seem to be favored over Mobil1 on here?

Mobil-1 may be terrific oil, but I have 3 vehicles that don't seem to like it:

I have two engines (GM LS1 5.7L, GM LQ4 6.0L) that make lifter ticking noises on Mobil-1, either regular 5W-30 or the high mileage version. No such noise after switching to Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5W-30. Same for Rotella T6 5W-40 when I tried it in the LQ4, dead quiet lifters.

And my '09 Subaru 2.5L burns Mobil-1 5W-30 high mileage and 0W-40 at a rate of approximately 0.5qt/1K miles after the first ~3K miles of each OCI. Near zero consumption for the first 3K miles with fresh oil, then it starts burning/consuming it. New PCV installed after the first 2 OCIs at the time, no effect. Haven't tried Pennzoil in that one, Castrol 0W-40 only loses approx 1/2 quart by the 6K mile oil change so I settled on that oil.

edit: however, when the LS1 car goes to the road course for track days, it has Mobil-1 15W-50 loaded.

Last edited:
So the valve / lifter ticking noises is a common thing with mobil1? I used to have that issue with Mobil1 on my Lexus IS300 but then I got introduced to Amsoil so I ran that because I drove that car pretty hard, I never had that ticking issue after changing to Amsoil.

So the valve / lifter ticking noises is a common thing with mobil1? I used to have that issue with Mobil1 on my Lexus IS300 but then I got introduced to Amsoil so I ran that because I drove that car pretty hard, I never had that ticking issue after changing to Amsoil.

Funny, I had valve ticks and weird rod-knock type noises with 0W20 PP in my 2013 3UR-FE. Being a Toyota that what their VVTI systems sound like anyways, it's really tough to tell, and and my TechStream said the knock sensor didn't move the timing back, so it was "within spec" as far as the ECU was concerned. That stopped when I happened to pick up 0W20 Castrol Magnatec on clearance and used that, which was unexpected.

OP - whatever the Toyota viscosity for the vehicle in a good synthetic, and Denso filters, you'll make a 10k/1 year OCI with ease. Fram Ultras or whatever if you can get them for a price close to the Densos, but super-duper filtration isn't needed for any 21st century Toyota I am aware of. Test then, you might be able to go 12k or more even without going with M1EP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back