Toyota oil and oil filter recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys!

I have always grew up wrenching on my own cars as much as I can but I never really got deep into the whole engine oil / filter thing but with having multiple vehicles and oil getting pricey I figured I will start to do my homework and make sure I am using the best stuff for my money. I don't mind spending money if it is a noticeable benefit. I do have an account with Amsoil and get their oil at wholesale pricing but I don't always use amsoil because they warehouse closes early and I can't always make it into town and often the Mobil1 One specialty at Advance is hard to pass up

I would like to push my oil as long as possible but keeping it safe, 7,500 miles, maybe 10K miles? I am wondering which one of the following is a better fit and value:

Amsoil SS with Farm Ultra Filter (I would use Amsoil filter but the Farm Ultra is half the price and seems to be a good filter from what I have been reading on this site)
Amsoil XL with Farm Ultra Filter - about $20 cheaper than Amsoil SS
Mobil1 EP with their EP filter - I would buy this at advance when they have their 5 quart with filter special which is half the cost of Amsoil SS.

I would love to run Amsoil SS with the Farm filter but is it overkill?

I would say we drive 50/50 city/highway, a lot of short trips like 10-15 miles and under. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
What vehicles are you driving?

If normally aspirated, Amsoil + FU should easily be able to go for a 10k interval...and likely longer with a UOA. What is the total distance driven in a year?

My choice would be Signature Series but we need to know what you are driving.

I'm in the process of using up my Amsoil EA filters and going to Fram Ultra. The filtration is slightly better than Amsoil and the Amsoil price on their filters is much higher than the Fram Ultra for me so no need to stick with that filter IMO.

Last edited:
Heck, with Amazon and Wally World free shipping, I would use any Synthetic and decent filter.
click-click and it's at your door.
That saves the cost of picking up the products.

I drive a 2009 Toyota Camry - about 30k a year
My wife drives a 2014 Toyota Sienna - about 15-20k a year

Originally Posted by diyjake
I drive a 2009 Toyota Camry - about 30k a year
My wife drives a 2014 Toyota Sienna - about 15-20k a year

PP 5w20 or Vavoline Advanced Synthetic and FU 4967 filter
smile.gif

I'll push Mobil 1 extended and Fram Ultra to 12,000 miles OCI. 10,000 miles OCI with Valvoline or PP and a Fram Ultra.

Originally Posted by CR94
Where do you buy those Farm filters for Toyotas?

Easiest place with one of the better price is either on eBay or your local Walmart.

Amsoil and Fram Ultra are high quality filters. Your money! Amsoil SS is a great oil. Pablo is our site sponsor and gives excellent pricing. Although; you stated that you are already a member. As mentioned above. 10,000 OCI are good as long as your engines are in good clean condition. Wally World is hard to beat on pricing. You can buy a six pack of Fram Ultra on Ebay for around $4.50 each when you purchase a case. Of course; all filters vary in price.

Good luck! Toyotas are great vehicles.

I do not think it is overkill as you are going to 10k OCI's. I'd do the SS and the Amsoil filter. I feel more comfortable with the longer OCI's and Amsoil filters. Maybe do an oil analysis at 5k and 10k the first time. Maybe experiment with the Fram Ultra and the Amsoil filter while doing the OCI's.

I guess I don't think right but I don't really consider the filter price if I am going 10K on it. How much extra am I gonna pay in a year for the filters? $10-20. $1-2/month?

I bought 6 fram ultras(9972) for $35 from rock auto for my 2016 toyota.

Pennzoil & Mobil have there rebates going right now. Buy either at Wal Mart & apply your rebate -- 5W20 flavor for both & pick up a Fram Ultra while your there that you can use multiple oil changes. If you do not wanna haggle with rebates -- Super Tech Synthetic is priced $15.88 out the door for the 5 quart container all day.

Autozone in AL has Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 extended performance filter on sale for 29.99
If you have Autozone near you, you should check and see if they have the same deal
Mobil 1 has a $17 rebate for that oil and filter purchase which makes the deal even better as final cost is 12.99

Happy motoring

I would say, just go with the cheapest of the three options you have there. There all capable to do what you want it to do. I highly doubt you will notice a difference in between using any the options.

Originally Posted by diyjake

I would say we drive 50/50 city/highway, a lot of short trips like 10-15 miles and under. What do you guys think?

I think extended oci intervals favor more hwy miles vs short trips. Also what engines? I personally would not do extended on a DI engine unless its all highway greater that 10 miles each trip, due to fuel dilution.

A name brand oil on sale (Super Tech, NAPA, etc. included) and Toyota OEM filter (because they're probably as cheap or cheaper than an aftermarket filter and you know it's meant to fit). Don't overthink this.

Originally Posted by oilmutt

I bought 6 fram ultras(9972) for $35 from rock auto for my 2016 toyota.
Missed the point, didn't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back