Ecoboost first gen , a bit confused with oil choice

Some members believe that I will make a good move if i stop using PP 5 w 30 . They suggest a 0w40 and or a 5w40 .

Now, all of these oils seem to be labeled has European oil meeting api SN but not the specific spec m2c 946 from Ford for my first gen 3.5 f150 2014 with 95000 km

This engine is renowned for fuel dilution , and timing chain and phasers problem. Ive read somewhere that the Turbo need the spec or ....

My truck is just starting the dreaded cam phaser noise at start up, no code logged and its not happening very often. I do not think that I will stop the cam phaser problem progression but its never too late to change our habit and improve thing.

Castrol edge 5w40 is easy to find in Canada so , is it a good idea to leave Pennzoil platinum after 8 years, I had so much confidence in that oil ...

How better or what are the obvious advantage to use Castrol Edge 5w40 European oil vs PP 5w30 in my application ?

Rotella T6 5w40 is also readily avail in canada ... this one or Edge ?

thanks
I bought a 2011 F-150 EB with 156,000 miles that grew up on Motorcraft SynBlend 5w-30 and FL500s filters every 10,000 miles. Now at 161,000 miles on Rotella truck. So far trouble free.

I'd say weather conditions and driving styles have a lot to do with "no problems" vs "junk engine".

Used vehicles could've also been thru multiple repairs. Fleet vehicles have nothing in common with the 'short commuter' or what I call "soccer mom" engine destroyer.

I could care less what an automaker recommends when numerous owners start having 'common problems'. There is an issue out there. And, issues are affecting ALL automakers. But hey, CAFE is happy happy happy!

Good that OP's driving pattern includes highway usage.

How heavy is the trailer?

Don't forget the ATF, xfer case, diffs, and the often forgotten brake fluids and coolant.

Only engines that are tuned poorly and have garbage fuel are 'prone' to LSPI. Pretty sure every automaker tuned LSPI out by now. I would think that most owners would know about 'quality' fuel and additives to prevent excessive CC/piston carbon deposits, and hopefully premium for turbo'd towing.

Some members believe that I will make a good move if i stop using PP 5 w 30 . They suggest a 0w40 and or a 5w40 .

Now, all of these oils seem to be labeled has European oil meeting api SN but not the specific spec m2c 946 from Ford for my first gen 3.5 f150 2014 with 95000 km

This engine is renowned for fuel dilution , and timing chain and phasers problem. Ive read somewhere that the Turbo need the spec or ....

My truck is just starting the dreaded cam phaser noise at start up, no code logged and its not happening very often. I do not think that I will stop the cam phaser problem progression but its never too late to change our habit and improve thing.

Castrol edge 5w40 is easy to find in Canada so , is it a good idea to leave Pennzoil platinum after 8 years, I had so much confidence in that oil ...

How better or what are the obvious advantage to use Castrol Edge 5w40 European oil vs PP 5w30 in my application ?

thanks
Do you do lots of short trip driving?
If so why not bump it to a 40?

I'd say weather conditions and driving styles have a lot to do with "no problems" vs "junk engine".

Used vehicles could've also been thru multiple repairs. Fleet vehicles have nothing in common with the 'short commuter' or what I call "soccer mom" engine destroyer.

I could care less what an automaker recommends when numerous owners start having 'common problems'. There is an issue out there. And, issues are affecting ALL automakers. But hey, CAFE is happy happy happy!

Good that OP's driving pattern includes highway usage.

How heavy is the trailer?

Don't forget the ATF, xfer case, diffs, and the often forgotten brake fluids and coolant.

Only engines that are tuned poorly and have garbage fuel are 'prone' to LSPI. Pretty sure every automaker tuned LSPI out by now. I would think that most owners would know about 'quality' fuel and additives to prevent excessive CC/piston carbon deposits, and hopefully premium for turbo'd towing.
7850 for the Travel trailer since the last time on the scale , 1050 on the hitch truck has a max payload of 1998lbs good for 11300 lbs IIRC

Truck is pulling that trailer fine , even on hilly terrain , rarely drop more than 2 gears , rarely above 3750 rpm but I would not want anything heavier

Temp gauge never moved even on super hot days, tranny temp. never really rise on any of our trip.

Its a great little horse , thanks for the reminder about the other fluid :) and thanks for your other suggestion i finally made up my mind based on price and availability back home, we are not blessed like you in Canada in regards of filter and oil .... QS 5w40 Euro and fl500s thats is im stopping my research right here :)

. Apparently even if its not (maybe ) by your standard the best regiment it is I believe a better one than PP 5w30 with whatever foilter on sale :)

I read a lot about all kind of oil filters enough to get dizzy .... why one more than another ... well ... its a fight so easy to start lol ...

Same with the oil , man you can spend your whole life here to realized that as soon you think you have found the Holy Graal ... bammm you know nothing . How many 3.5 Ecoboost on the road running well on motorcraft blend 5w30 and fl500s only Gods no , !! We are learning a lot on this site, thats fun however that made me worry more than anything else lol

7850 for the Travel trailer since the last time on the scale , 1050 on the hitch truck has a max payload of 1998lbs good for 11300 lbs IIRC

Truck is pulling that trailer fine , even on hilly terrain , rarely drop more than 2 gears , rarely above 3750 rpm but I would not want anything heavier

Temp gauge never moved even on super hot days, tranny temp. never really rise on any of our trip.

Its a great little horse , thanks for the reminder about the other fluid :) and thanks for your other suggestion i finally made up my mind based on price and availability back home, we are not blessed like you in Canada in regards of filter and oil .... QS 5w40 Euro and fl500s thats is im stopping my research right here :)

. Apparently even if its not (maybe ) by your standard the best regiment it is I believe a better one than PP 5w30 with whatever foilter on sale :)

I read a lot about all kind of oil filters enough to get dizzy .... why one more than another ... well ... its a fight so easy to start lol ...

Same with the oil , man you can spend your whole life here to realized that as soon you think you have found the Holy Graal ... bammm you know nothing . How many 3.5 Ecoboost on the road running well on motorcraft blend 5w30 and fl500s only Gods no , !! We are learning a lot on this site, thats fun however that made me worry more than anything else lol
Super tech has a decent 5w-40 at wallymart.
It has a bunch of specs..check it out.
24 for 5 liters.

I'm going to ask a question because I don't know the answer.
Would it not be wise to run at least an SN+ or SP oil? These engines are very prone to LSPI, are they not?

The possibility exists but with that said you will have a hard time finding any oil that is at least SN+ these days. SP is the current standard and has been for a while now so any SN+ oil would be stock that hasn’t moved.

The possibility exists but with that said you will have a hard time finding any oil that is at least SN+ these days. SP is the current standard and has been for a while now so any SN+ oil would be stock that hasn’t moved.
Let me ask another question then: when many post on here about Euro oils, they are not SN+ or SP though, correct? Would they be susceptible to LSPI?

Let me ask another question then: when many post on here about Euro oils, they are not SN+ or SP though, correct? Would they be susceptible to LSPI?

There are European oil specs that euro oils follow. ACEA for one. There are others as well from BMW and VW.

thanks

I've got a 2016 gen 1 eco boost. Fuel dilution has been a problem from day #1.

But it's got 206,000 miles on it, about 80k of them towing. Engine runs as smooth as the day it left the lot with 15 miles.

I run Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40. Doesn't burn a drop. Oil analysis has shown that it dilutes down to about a 30 weight before I change it every 5,000

I plan to run the same oil until it's time to scrap it.

I never opened the engine up. Consumed zero oil, quiet as a mouse. Plugs, filters and oil. Flushed coolant twice. Serviced the trans twice.
EF706A36-70D9-46F5-A75F-4CED7C5A87D9.jpeg
Ford paid for a vacuum pump but it wasn’t connected to the engine. One of the best vehicles I ever owned.

thanks
Why change after 8 years

I never opened the engine up. Consumed zero oil, quiet as a mouse. Plugs, filters and oil. Flushed coolant twice. Serviced the trans twice.
View attachment 137198Ford paid for a vacuum pump but it wasn’t connected to the engine. One of the best vehicles I ever owned.
impressive , another proof that the internet can make you paranoid about everything that can go wrong with your vehicule ... ford is seilling millions of truck , they cant be all bad :)

Why change after 8 years
Why ? Because only fools never change their way of thinking.

Getting opinion here, reading UOA , seeing all the problem related to Timing chain and phasers , fuel dilution etc etc made me change my mind .

Seeing PP 5w30 being a borderline w20 at the very beginning of is life is a new concern and made me questioned the choices made 8 years ago

The truck is 8 years old but with only 60k miles so its not too late to make a change what do you think ? :)

Back