Ecoboost first gen , a bit confused with oil choice

Why ? Because only fools never change their way of thinking.

Getting opinion here, reading UOA , seeing all the problem related to Timing chain and phasers , fuel dilution etc etc made me change my mind .

Seeing PP 5w30 being a borderline w20 at the very beginning of is life is a new concern and made me questioned the choices made 8 years ago

The truck is 8 years old but with only 60k miles so its not too late to make a change what do you think ? :)
Your opinion

But what about your opinion ? Im interested
He wants you to just not think about it and just keep doing what you're doing. Which defeats the purpose of coming here.
If it were my vehicle I'd use m1 0w40 fs on sale for $30/5qts (that's what's frequently on sale in my area) or Castrol 0w40 if that's what you find on sale. I think it's a good step up from a typical 5w20/5w30 synthetic based on the approvals they meet. That's why I run them in my 240k mile gm LS engine that will basically be fine on any old conventional oil but I want to get 400k miles plus out of it plus a lot of idle time.
If you're possibly going to max out the potential lifespan of the engine (probably like 300k miles plus for most good modern engines) then it might be worth being fussy about what oil and what grade you use.

Been using PPHM 5-30 with Purolator One oil filters in my 2015 F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost since the odometer hit 80 K miles...Been doing 5 K mile oil changes since I've owned my truck (purchased brand new)...I'm up to 130 K miles and so far so good.

He wants you to just not think about it and just keep doing what you're doing. Which defeats the purpose of coming here.
If it were my vehicle I'd use m1 0w40 fs on sale for $30/5qts (that's what's frequently on sale in my area) or Castrol 0w40 if that's what you find on sale. I think it's a good step up from a typical 5w20/5w30 synthetic based on the approvals they meet. That's why I run them in my 240k mile gm LS engine that will basically be fine on any old conventional oil but I want to get 400k miles plus out of it plus a lot of idle time.
If you're possibly going to max out the potential lifespan of the engine (probably like 300k miles plus for most good modern engines) then it might be worth being fussy about what oil and what grade you use.
Well for the next 4 oil change its going to be QS euro 5w40 and FL500S filter .... I bought the jugs and the filter already :)

I reset the OLM at 75% instead of using the whole interval suggested by Ford ... Ill see if it was too late or not to make any positive change.

One thing for sure and Ill knock on wood, the 1 occurrence of the dreaded cold start up phaser noise never came back since almost 1 month , Am I riding on a unicorn now ? I dont know, , was it caused by a bad ADBV on the last Fram XG ? who knows anyway with the new QS euro and the motorcraft filter the engine seem quieter , placebo effect ?, that I also dont know :)

Thanks to all for your input

Back