EBC Yellowstuff on Toyota Sienna. or...?

yellow stuff on my 2011 frontier is great BUT wears fast, only 14 thou + on the way out, but i drive mostly local hilly roads which contributes to a short life + braking power is great regardless of temps IMO

The brakes and all kinds of other work were done on the van this weekend. The air vent/dam modifications were done as well. Parts shortages were seriously affecting my choices and what was available me, and existing stock was disappearing before my eyes as I thought and shopped.

Pads: Powerstop Z36
Front rotors: Advics
Rear rotors: Brembo UV coated

Everything is still breaking in but there is more friction with less pedal pressure/travel than there was before but not sure that it's remarkably different. I'm not behind the wheel of this vehicle all that often. I suppose the fact that I wasn't telling myself "wow, these brakes are bad" says something. :)

Not terribly impressed with the Advics once I saw them in person. Only the outside of the hat is coated/painted. Not the edges, not the inside of the hats. Some surface rust was already starting on the rough casting on the inside. The Brembos seemed quite nice. Rockauto supplied both.

Brembo.jpg
Brembo1.jpg
Brembo2.jpg
Brembo3.jpg

I took advantage of Brembo's Memorial Day sale and purchased their complete brake kit for the Sienna. I would have easily gone with OEM but since the Brembo pricing was so competitive not only against OEM but also other aftermarket kits, I decided to go with Brembo. This is not my first experience with Brembo brakes on the Sienna. I have had Brembo rotors on the 06 a few years back but that was with OEM Toyota pads and that combination went really well. This current setup has been on the 17 for almost 5,000 miles now and has been excellent. The pads are Brembo's NAO ceramic pads as so far, I have noticed excellent bit even when cold. The paddle feel is progressive with good feedback so overall all, I am very happy with them. And most importantly, the Brembo sticker should help me shave off at least a second off my lap time should I decide to track the Sienna on the local race track.

I ended up doing my Sienna brakes today. Raybestos EHT pads all around and front rotors, Bosch quiet cast rear rotors due to parts availability issues.

I don’t know what you guys all love about raybestos pads. If I hadn’t opened the sealed box and shrink wrapped pads, I’d have thought they were used. The pad backing was so dusty and dirty. The silencing shims didn’t fit for $hit. There was a good 1/4” gap between the ears on the shims to the pad back. They’d literally fall off. I removed and tweaked them, but geez. There’s still a gap because the shim itself is just too large for the pads back, but at least they don’t move now (and I hope they stay that way, no confidence in that though).

So like I said, we’ll see. I just couldn’t believe how crappy the shims fit right out of the box (they’re pre-installed). The rears were tight enough out of the box, but I still removed them to apply brake grease between the pad and shim, and also tightened them up some too.

Hardware all fit and seemed fine otherwise, though.

Break in test drive went fine. No abnormal noises to note. Brake performance seems unchanged from previous setup of centric rotors and akebono pads.

I ended up doing my Sienna brakes today. Raybestos EHT pads all around and front rotors, Bosch quiet cast rear rotors due to parts availability issues.

I don’t know what you guys all love about raybestos pads.
Me either. For the popular Asian applications that I have used them for, they are nothing special. Noisy, hardware is average. About the same as most jobber pads.

EBC Yellows have a good cold bite, only *slightly* less than a street pad but will hold up to much higher temps like light track use or heavy duty mountain runs. I ran them up front on my Sportwagen for a year and still have them out back. I only noted a slight increase in pedal pressure needed on v. cold morning leaving my neighborhood, they would be at-temp at the first light I hit. They were not noisy at all. They are dusty and will wear faster than a typical OE street pad.

Craig, your Siena is certainly the wrong application for YS. Cold bite is less than stellar.
Are Brembo Xtra, Ferodo DS Performance and PFC Z-rated easily available in Canada?
I'd even just fit some standard Ate Original or Ferodo Premier to your Sienna. Both do
provide more than sufficient stopping power and are very cost-effective. Don't under-
estimate them. Not sure if you've read what I said about EBC here:

The stories about EBC backing plate issues are old-news and they re-desgined them to deal with that issue. I know plenty of folks running their pads for street and light track use with no drama.

Toyota designed it for 7 people and their stuff in it. OEM pads and rotors are perfectly fine for it. I always thought people who buy EBC pads are just boy racers who think the colors, yellow red green are cool and are willing to pay double for them.
I don't see how a set of EBC Yellows for $140 for my Golf isn't competitively priced against other companies producing a similar compound pad for aggressive street/light track use.

The stories about EBC backing plate issues are old-news and they re-desgined them to deal with that issue. I know plenty of folks running their pads for street and light track use with no drama.

I tried them once and that has been my (and others) experience.
I don't feel any need to try them again as there's so much choice
from more reputable manufacturers out there. Ferodo, Pagid, PFC,
Brembo, CL, Endless and OE, to name a few. Much more reputable.

I tried them once and that has been my (and others) experience.
I don't feel any need to try them again as there's so much choice
from more reputable manufacturers out there. Ferodo, Pagid, PFC,
Brembo, CL, Endless and OE, to name a few. Much more reputable.
Of course you will use what you like, we all do. But EBC is a reputable brand of brake components.

IMO, overkill on a Sienna. My pick would be Akebono’s “street performance” yellow label pads. Minivans are just hard on brakes and tires in general.

I don’t know what you guys all love about raybestos pads. If I hadn’t opened the sealed box and shrink wrapped pads, I’d have thought they were used. The pad backing was so dusty and dirty. The silencing shims didn’t fit for $hit. There was a good 1/4” gap between the ears on the shims to the pad back. They’d literally fall off. I removed and tweaked them, but geez. There’s still a gap because the shim itself is just too large for the pads back, but at least they don’t move now (and I hope they stay that way, no confidence in that though).

So like I said, we’ll see. I just couldn’t believe how crappy the shims fit right out of the box (they’re pre-installed). The rears were tight enough out of the box, but I still removed them to apply brake grease between the pad and shim, and also tightened them up some too.

Hardware all fit and seemed fine otherwise, though.

Break in test drive went fine. No abnormal noises to note. Brake performance seems unchanged from previous setup of centric rotors and akebono pads.
I had the same problem too. Akebono ProAct pads are almost the same price as the Toyota brake pads value line.

Update:
I went with Z36 pads, Brembo UV coated rear rotors and Advics front rotors (due to "supply issues" I could not get anything else. I also performed the Toyota service bulletin modification to allow extra air to get to the brakes.

The pads give better bite than the factory brakes and a bit more progressive feel. I would have liked more, but some improvement is good. Particularly improved is hard/emergency stopping, especially when loaded. No signs of any vibrations developing since the changes.

So far the Brembo coating is (unsurprisingly) better than the partial paint on the Advics. I wish I was able to get Brembos on the front at that time.

Just as another data point, I also have a '13 Sienna. It does seem to be hard on brakes and tires, but has been great otherwise.

First change I used OEM Toyota rotors and pads on the back, and OEM rotors up front with Wagner OEX pads (I think that's them, the wavy friction material ones). Rear rotors were stamped Advics. Would not use the Wagner pads again. I got maybe 30k before I started having issues with grinding and pulsing, so started swapping stuff again.

Second change was with Element3 pads and rotors. Much less expensive and performed just as well, if not better than OEM. My fronts are starting to dust heavy for some reason,.so will need.ro investigate a little when I swap over to snows.

At any rate, the E3 stuff was.priced well and shipped very fast from RockAuto. Will probably get it again for the next change.

Update:
I went with Z36 pads, Brembo UV coated rear rotors and Advics front rotors (due to "supply issues" I could not get anything else. I also performed the Toyota service bulletin modification to allow extra air to get to the brakes.

The pads give better bite than the factory brakes and a bit more progressive feel. I would have liked more, but some improvement is good. Particularly improved is hard/emergency stopping, especially when loaded. No signs of any vibrations developing since the changes.

So far the Brembo coating is (unsurprisingly) better than the partial paint on the Advics. I wish I was able to get Brembos on the front at that time.
I am not seeing Z36 pads for the Sienna.

bought a kit EBC smooth rotors + yellow pads for my porky 2011 frontier SV, they worked great + much better than OE but at 30 thou they were done!! cleaned up the rotors by hand + ground off the slight edge + installed NRS semi metallic pads from canada + they work great at all temps. with only 5 thou cant say about longevity. EBC rotors are said to be higher carbon + not from china as most are, a good thing IMO!!

Just finished some EBC yellow pads on my truck in less than 10k miles. Shocked. I heard some thing off when stopping and climbed under my truck and 1 pad just started metal on metal. No wear indicators to warn you and the pads looked fine at the last oil change. Almost ruined my EBC rotor.I don’t normally inspect pads weekly. What a joke. Performance was OK, nothing stellar. Brake dust was worst I have experienced on the truck. Explains the short life.
I swapped them for Duralast gold. After telling the counter guy his computer was wrong and showing him the pad and part number I was on my way. At least I won’t be buying anymore. I plan on keeping the truck until it’s illegal to burn gasoline.

Back