EBC Yellowstuff on Toyota Sienna. or...?

I'm looking to improve braking on a 2013 Sienna LE. Sometimes it's got 7 people and a mountain of stuff in it, sometimes it's got one occupant commuting to work. No towing.

I'm in Canada, and pricing/supply chain seems vastly different here lately (no surprise). I am looking for quality, coated, no-slot, no-drill rotors (thinking Centric GCX) and pads which prioritize stopping power and bite over long life or low dust, so thinking semi-metallic instead of ceramic, perhaps something like EBC Yellowstuff or Power Stop Z36.

I have driven Siennas with full Toyota OE brakes. Right now this vehicle has ceramic-whatevers that the PO put on. They stop, but are not confidence inspiring, and don't have bite that increases as much as I'd like when pedal pressure is increased in a hard stop situation, hence looking a different direction for pads. The combination of increasing front vibrations plus not knowing what these are have me looking at a full brake job.

Anyone used Yellowstuff in a mini van application before? Any other suggestions to look at? Again, I'm in Canada so no Autozone, Pep Boys, etc...

Thanks

Craig, your Siena is certainly the wrong application for YS. Cold bite is less than stellar.
Are Brembo Xtra, Ferodo DS Performance and PFC Z-rated easily available in Canada?
I'd even just fit some standard Ate Original or Ferodo Premier to your Sienna. Both do
provide more than sufficient stopping power and are very cost-effective. Don't under-
estimate them. Not sure if you've read what I said about EBC here:

Reactions: Y_K
I'm looking to improve braking on a 2013 Sienna LE. Sometimes it's got 7 people and a mountain of stuff in it, sometimes it's got one occupant commuting to work. No towing.
Toyota designed it for 7 people and their stuff in it. OEM pads and rotors are perfectly fine for it. I always thought people who buy EBC pads are just boy racers who think the colors, yellow red green are cool and are willing to pay double for them.

Craig, your Siena is certainly the wrong application for YS. Cold bite is less than stellar.

Cold braking is a factor for sure. So far everything I had found said that cold braking was still good with yellow. If that's not accurate, I'm happy to have that corrected.

Not sure if you've read what I said about EBC here:

I will do so.

Do not go EBC YellowSTuff on SIenna. Go GreenStuff and EBC Premium rotors or Raybestos Element3.
I had GreenSTuff and EBC premium on Sienna, and it is an excellent combination. YellowStuff is good, but in cold weather, they need to get up to a certain temperature and will create noise in cold weather.
Also, look at Pagid pads. I have them now on SIenna. Excellent bite, no noise. Lots of dust, like any Euro performance pad.

Toyota designed it for 7 people and their stuff in it. OEM pads and rotors are perfectly fine for it. I always thought people who buy EBC pads are just boy racers who think the colors, yellow red green are cool and are willing to pay double for them.
It is absolute garbage. Their rotors will start to vibrate after any aggressive use. It is absolute garbage on Land Cruiser Prado I have in Europe (maybe understatement actually) and EBC definitely resolved the issue with vibrating rotors. Right now on Sienna, I have Raybestos Element3 and Pagid pads, and it is holding fine.
My SIenna is some 4,600-4,700lbs. The front rotor has less contact surface than the rotor on my 328 which is a 3,500lbs vehicle.

Well... Sure it's "designed" for that, but I also feel that a driver should be able to feel like you can lock up if you "want to" (and if ABS didn't stop it of course). Brakes should always be able to overwhelm tires, IMO.

Even though the Sienna can only get less-than-stellar tires, neither it (a 2013) nor its predecessor (a 2009) which always had OE brakes can come anywhere close. Multiple Siennas, same observations. EBC was just an example of something I saw which specifically described greater friction without emphasis on only improving brake fade and not prioritizing "less dust" and "long life". I have no specific love or hate for EBC.

Same situation with tire shopping for the Sienna - top priority seems to be "mileage guarantee" instead of traction. Comes with minivan territory I guess... :)

Screenshot_20210914-114927.jpg

I have actually used Yellow Stuff alot. They work from cold in +5 degrees C. Never tested them in colder. So cold bite is good enough to get them road legal in Europe. Not the pad that give high bite when pressed lightly on brake pedal, but they will keep up good in high temperatures. In Europe pads can't have too high initial bite to be road legal.

I have actually used Yellow Stuff alot. They work from cold in +5 degrees C. Never tested them in colder. So cold bite is good enough to get them road legal in Europe. Not the pad that give high bite when pressed lightly on brake pedal, but they will keep up good in high temperatures. In Europe pads can't have too high initial bite to be road legal.
I have them now on BMW for track use during summer. They are very good pads, but not something I would put on Sienna. I used them in winter on VW CC and noise in really cold weather can be horrid sometimes.
GreenStuff is all he needs. Very civilized pad, very good cold bite, no fading issues at all. Dust is there of course, but who cares.

Toronto gets colder than +5°C.

Redstuff works fine in temps colder than freezing, even around -10°C for first thing in the morning braking.

The best coated rotors seem to be Powerstop Geomet coated rotors or Raybestos Element3 coated rotors.

EBC makes awesome pads, but the Yellowstuff might not be the best ones for your driving conditions. Instead, consider the Ultimax/Blackstuff pads. They are amazing.

the brakes suck. it’s federal law that minivan brakes must provide inadequate performance in all conditions

I'm in Canada, and pricing/supply chain seems vastly different here lately (no surprise). I am looking for quality, coated, no-slot, no-drill rotors (thinking Centric GCX) and pads which prioritize stopping power and bite over long life or low dust, so thinking semi-metallic instead of ceramic, perhaps something like EBC Yellowstuff or Power Stop Z36.

I have driven Siennas with full Toyota OE brakes. Right now this vehicle has ceramic-whatevers that the PO put on. They stop, but are not confidence inspiring, and don't have bite that increases as much as I'd like when pedal pressure is increased in a hard stop situation, hence looking a different direction for pads. The combination of increasing front vibrations plus not knowing what these are have me looking at a full brake job.

Anyone used Yellowstuff in a mini van application before? Any other suggestions to look at? Again, I'm in Canada so no Autozone, Pep Boys, etc...

Thanks
I'm using Powerstop Z36 pads, Much better braking than stock. Also make sure the air dam under the bumper is cut out as per TSB.
I didn't cut the dam off i just enlarged the hole as big as possible while keeping the dam intact. Adds cooling front rotors. Using OEM rotors front and rear.

Back