EBC green stuff and coated rotors for 16 Odyssey

Tuesday I installed EBC green stuff pads and their rotors on our 16 odyssey. I had turned/machined the OE rotors with Hunter on car brake lathe in the past for the vibration/judder/pulsation whatever you want to call it. Pads still had some life left but the initial bite isn’t something I can awe inspiring

We are at 70k on the van figured it was time to just put new ones on. First dealings with EBC.

Rotors were very nice looking with some sort of black coating on the entire rotor.

Pads have a bed in/brake in coating on the friction material. The fit was very good on OE hardware.

Price for the kit S14KF1178 was right around $186 plus tax shipped via fed ex to my EBC S14KF1178 Brake Kit https://a.co/d/6z5dVUb house.

Will give some more updates as time goes on but for now the initial drive was a bit noisy like that break in coating taking off the rotor top surface coating. That went away obviously quickly and no squeak or squealing has happened yet. Good feel haven’t had to brake hard yet they want 200 miles of easy braking if possible then some bed in 60-20 stops. Will likely be able to do that this week.

Impressed so far. Don’t know about dust or life but initial thoughts are positive

Anyone else like green stuff?

Not Greenstuff, but I installed the EBC Ultimax II and plain coated rotors on my Patriot about 3.5 years ago and have been very pleased with them (thanks Bitog recommenders). Very high quality and fit, with excellent wear. The rotor coating was effective for over 2.5 years, but has developed light rust on the vane edge this past winter. The rotor hat coating is a bit better, but also wearing away. I normally put a paper thin layer of moly paste on the hats to alleviate rust.

Initial performance was OEM (Akebono) equivalent at first (good). I was hoping for improved "bite", like my son's Kia Soul had. After several thousand miles the bite/grab I was hoping for developed. I am very pleased with EBC and likely to use them again.

Please keep us posted on your Greenstuff experience. I see they now have an Elite Greenstuff boasting better performance. Kind of confusing to have 2 products so close. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Interested in your findings. We have had no issues with our 14 odyssey, and are at 85k miles or so of around town and road trip use on the original pads and rotors.

But I see the pads getting thin and I’m going to need to buy at least pads soon, so this will be good to get another perspective.

Ditto @JHZR2
I just had my niece's 2015 Oddy fronts resurfaced after 20K miles (Raybestos Element 3 pads and rotors) due to shake. Van has close to 160K now...
That’s crazy. Were they OE replacement rotors? I see a lot of people driving too fast/hard, and accelerating into red lights.

We have had no such issues fortunately, but the adage of “drive like there’s an egg between your shoe and the pedal” is shared by my wife and I.

Interested in your findings. We have had no issues with our 14 odyssey, and are at 85k miles or so of around town and road trip use on the original pads and rotors.

But I see the pads getting thin and I’m going to need to buy at least pads soon, so this will be good to get another perspective.
Well you did good with OEM pads....Why not stick with them. If you do your brakes yourself you can get them online and they come complete with new shims and a graphite grease...Thats what I have been doing with my last 4 Hondas and get around 80k on a set of pads...

That’s crazy. Were they OE replacement rotors? I see a lot of people driving too fast/hard, and accelerating into red lights.

We have had no such issues fortunately, but the adage of “drive like there’s an egg between your shoe and the pedal” is shared by my wife and I.
Yes, the Element 3 pads and rotors; no drilling, slots, etc. Wendy is generally in hurry. I was blown away with the rotor runout build up in such a short time. I've used the Element 3 stuff in a number of cars; I may go back to Centric.

It was a huge disappointment.

Yes, the Element 3 pads and rotors; no drilling, slots, etc. Wendy is generally in hurry. I was blown away with the rotor runout build up in such a short time. I've used the Element 3 stuff in a number of cars; I may go back to Centric.

It was a huge disappointment.
Wasn't there some tire work involved from a blow out? Maybe the shop overnighted the wheel causing the vibration. Unless I'm confusing people on here.

@edyvw did some brake upgrades to his Sienna. I think using EBC pads with another brand rotor. But i forgot all the details.

Wasn't there some tire work involved from a blow out? Maybe the shop overnighted the wheel causing the vibration. Unless I'm confusing people on here.

@edyvw did some brake upgrades to his Sienna. I think using EBC pads with another brand rotor. But i forgot all the details.
That wasn't me. The rubber is newer BFG.

Not Greenstuff, but I installed the EBC Ultimax II and plain coated rotors on my Patriot about 3.5 years ago and have been very pleased with them (thanks Bitog recommenders). Very high quality and fit, with excellent wear. The rotor coating was effective for over 2.5 years, but has developed light rust on the vane edge this past winter. The rotor hat coating is a bit better, but also wearing away. I normally put a paper thin layer of moly paste on the hats to alleviate rust.

Initial performance was OEM (Akebono) equivalent at first (good). I was hoping for improved "bite", like my son's Kia Soul had. After several thousand miles the bite/grab I was hoping for developed. I am very pleased with EBC and likely to use them again.

Please keep us posted on your Greenstuff experience. I see they now have an Elite Greenstuff boasting better performance. Kind of confusing to have 2 products so close. Thanks for sharing.

Funny you mention the Elite pads. Mine actually say that on the pad. I don’t believe it was marked that way on the box but the pads definitely say that. Perhaps newer stock are elite now ?

I have a set of NOS Greenstuff waiting to go on my car, but otherwise I have no experience with them.

However, I do have experience with the Ultimax2/Blackstuff (OE replacement), and they are awesome.

Back