EBC Yellowstuff on Toyota Sienna. or...?

Advics makes their rotors. Pads can be Advics, NBK or Akebono (rarely). Advics was OE for the pads in that application and they also have a revised compound for shudder issues. The revised pads have a different part #.

I have only used the Advics branded rotors once and they looked identical.

Any recollection on whether OE has any coating or paint at all? It's been a few years since I used Toyota dealer rotors and the vehicle in question has been gone a couple of years so I can't just go look.

Really depends on the vehicle, but in my experience the more recent vehicles are more likely to have coated rotors. But that doesn't mean the coating is very corrosion resistant.

For uprated pads I've used Sparco T-51, Ferodo DS performance, Ferodo DS2500 and Brembo HP2000

Sparco, very sensitive to cold. The first stop of the day required double the normal pedal pressure but on the flip side I couldn't overheat these pads. The rotors wore faster than the pads

Ferodo ds: really felt and behaved like a regular pad but didn't overheat and lasted 5 times as long as the OEM pads did. No noises, no temperatyre sensitivity and no extra disc wear observed.

DS2500: can squeal a bit while heating up, but works from cold to very hot. Currently using these on the rear of my car. Can't comment on wear yet.

Brembo HP2000: using these on the front, quiet, higher initial bite than stock (ferodo btw) and can take some heat. Not quite up to DS2500 level of heat resistance but significantly better than stock.

All of them dusted.

I was going to mention in the thread - Rockauto will ship here. Shipping is ~$160 but sometimes it's still less expensive than buying from a Canadian online retailer (never mind brick and mortar or the dealer). It's a sad state of affairs when it's still cheaper with shipping expenses as high as that.

Pre-COVID I was starting to send stuff to a US holding location and drive across the border every couple of months and pick stuff up. Saved tons. Can't really do that right now. The holding company isn't even operating.

EDIT: ...and even with Rockauto...they don't list Element3 for the front, only "Street Performance". Raybestos site says Street Performance line may or may not be fully coated "depending on application". I want the edges and vanes/interior coated - period. It matters not to me whether the hat is Grey Fusion or Black Fusion as long as it's one of the two. And, even at that, Rockauto only has 1 front "Street Performance" rotor. Good thing this isn't an urgent job lol

Rock Auto has the Power Stop rotors, which seem to be the same as the Raybestos E3. There is also amazon.ca which has both the Powerstop rotors and EBC pads :unsure:

Any recollection on whether OE has any coating or paint at all? It's been a few years since I used Toyota dealer rotors and the vehicle in question has been gone a couple of years so I can't just go look.
They are coated on the hat and along the edges.

A lot of you recommend pads like DS2500 etc. One thing to take into consideration is that options for Sienna are very limited. It is not like Ferodo anticipates bunch of soccer moms on track with Sienna. I cannot even find Bilstein for Sienna let alone DS2500.

Another car could be using the same pad size

yes but also other japanese makes. Sometimes it pays to widen the search

My rear pads weren't listed for my car for example. They are missing the pad wear indicator.

Front pads are the same as evo X if i don't need the pad wear sensors there either

Rock Auto has the Power Stop rotors, which seem to be the same as the Raybestos E3. There is also amazon.ca which has both the Powerstop rotors and EBC pads :unsure:
Several days ago I was entertaining a Powerstop solution (Z36 pads and coated rotors), then I found a bunch of information saying Powerstop rotors are (now, at least) low quality and should be avoided. I located the proper EBCs on az.ca and I have those saved but opened this thread before clicking "buy", which has been enlightening.

Several days ago I was entertaining a Powerstop solution (Z36 pads and coated rotors), then I found a bunch of information saying Powerstop rotors are (now, at least) low quality and should be avoided. I located the proper EBCs on az.ca and I have those saved but opened this thread before clicking "buy", which has been enlightening.

The Powerstop rotors are my first choice of rotors. The last brake job I did all 4 wheels, front and back, but the only had Powerstop for the front, so for the rear I tried the E3 since everybody on here seems to like them. I compared the Powerstop to the E3, and they looked identical in terms of finish, metallurgy, and the coating.

Powerstop's pads do seem to be low quality, though.

I'm using Z36 with Toyota new oem rotors. Did you check the airdam?

Just got done putting on Centric GCX rotors and Raybestos EHT3 pads on. Also flushed a bottle of brake fluid thru the fronts. And trimmed the air dams.

Did a handful of 30mph - 5, 45mph - 5 bed in. Now to see if it passes the wife test.

Attachments

• PXL_20210921_185647555.jpg
    PXL_20210921_185647555.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 33
My wife go though brakes. A year ago I got Toyota pads but couldn’t stomach the amount they wanted for rotors. Went with the economy line Raybestos ones. 20k miles and they are doing fine. I kept the factory rotors and figured I might have the ground and use them the next time.

The Powerstop rotors are my first choice of rotors. The last brake job I did all 4 wheels, front and back, but the only had Powerstop for the front, so for the rear I tried the E3 since everybody on here seems to like them. I compared the Powerstop to the E3, and they looked identical in terms of finish, metallurgy, and the coating.

Powerstop's pads do seem to be low quality, though.
What’s low quality about powerstop pads? Getting ready to do brakes on my sienna and was leaning towards their package as the rotors are coated and as a package it’s very economical. Last brake job I used akebono pads and centric rotors…disappointed in centric coating longevity and akebono brake feel.

Love the clean wheels but looking for more of a happy medium of good brake feel and performance, good rotor coating longevity and little to no dusting.

Experimented with a pad and rotor package that some Mazda nerds LOVE on a Mazda group and I’m very disappointed. Rotors are fine, but pads (ceramic) dust badly and also knock in the caliper bracket when first applied and when changing directions front to backwards. Contacted the company and they won’t do s$%* about it.

What’s low quality about powerstop pads? Getting ready to do brakes on my sienna and was leaning towards their package as the rotors are coated and as a package it’s very economical. Last brake job I used akebono pads and centric rotors…disappointed in centric coating longevity and akebono brake feel.

Love the clean wheels but looking for more of a happy medium of good brake feel and performance, good rotor coating longevity and little to no dusting.

Experimented with a pad and rotor package that some Mazda nerds LOVE on a Mazda group and I’m very disappointed. Rotors are fine, but pads (ceramic) dust badly and also knock in the caliper bracket when first applied and when changing directions front to backwards. Contacted the company and they won’t do s$%* about it.

The Raybestos EHT pads seem to be the best compromise between feel and dust, and they are very popular on here. Rock Auto even has a package with the E3 rotors and EHT pads for some cars. I would take that over the Powerstop pad/rotor bundle.

The Raybestos coated rotors seem to be the same as the Powerstop, with the same coating with good longevity.

Good in theory but having just had to replace front rotors and pads on a very gently driven 2019 RX350 with 24k miles on it I'm not as confident about Toyota's choice of brakes.
My 2019 Camry OE Pads/Rotors lasted 3 years of winter in Jersey with some snow storm. Now at 52k miles, they are not vibrating and pads are about 70%.

I'm using Z36 with Toyota new oem rotors. Did you check the airdam?

Alrighty - and by my recollection you're liking those pads.... This isn't my vehicle in my garage so I haven't been able to get under it since starting the thread but the airdam is on my list for the next couple of weeks along with a dozen other things. I appreciate the thread having brought that TSB to my attention.

Back