EBC Yellowstuff on Toyota Sienna. or...?

6AD279B6-89DA-4CEF-8A6F-539836B7910E.jpeg

I have actually used Yellow Stuff alot. They work from cold in +5 degrees C. Never tested them in colder. So cold bite is good enough to get them road legal in Europe.

Cold friction isn't even part of ECE R90.

I have tried EBC Green on my wife's Golf TDI both front and rear (along with Brembo rotors).
Friction has been HIGHLY dependend on temperature. Cold: worse than OE VW, fairly warm:
more bite than stock VW, hot (and that's on public roads, not even on track): fading occurs,
way before the OE pads gave up.
The worst issue has been corrosion on the rears though. After less than two years the backing
plates lost contact to the friction compound. Others experienced the same and a distributer
admitted to me, it happened a couple of hundred times at least. Relying on EBC? No, thanks.
Fitted OE VW pads after this, then Pagids a couple of years later, all along with Brembo rotors.

So, I've heard a couple of thoughts here that I'd like to summarize, perhaps challenge, and maybe eek out just a little more conversation.

The factory design is fine - it's "fine", but really not great. On my German cars I'm usually an OE guy but here I think I can do better, which means some aftermarket parts but performance is the key while still maintaining daily driving safety (e.g. cold performance) and fit (e.g. pads don't rattle around in the calipers because of poor tolerances)

Yellowstuff is for racers - I have heard in the meantime that Yellowstuff is different between "cars" and "truck and SUV". That means that Sienna "Yellowstuff" might not be the same as Miata or GTI "Yellowstuff" in terms of formulation and performance. There are a lot of different members here with a lot of different cars - I'm quite interested in minivan Yellowstuff just as a datapoint. Thanks to those pointing out other good options like R4S. I don't have a place in Canada to purchase yet but working on it.

Sources for quality rotors - don't have many choices for high quality in Canada. Was surprised to hear some criticism of Centric, which I thought were alright. Will keep looking.

@edyvw - I haven't been able to find a source I can use for Pagid pads for Sienna anywhere.... I'd be interested in some more info on their pad formula. And if they make high-carbon rotors for Sienna. I have Pagid two piece high carbon rotors on my 535 right now (might be Pagid pads too) and I've been quite happy (happier than factory). I'd absolutely consider trying "Euro OEM" brands on the Sienna, but would like first hand feedback.

Sources for quality rotors - don't have many choices for high quality in Canada. Was surprised to hear some criticism of Centric, which I thought were alright. Will keep looking.

@edyvw - I haven't been able to find a source I can use for Pagid pads for Sienna anywhere.... I'd be interested in some more info on their pad formula. And if they make high-carbon rotors for Sienna. I have Pagid two piece high carbon rotors on my 535 right now (might be Pagid pads too) and I've been quite happy (happier than factory). I'd absolutely consider trying "Euro OEM" brands on the Sienna, but would like first hand feedback.
IME, the factory Toyota advics rotors are extremely high quality and much better quality than any of the aftermarket rotors. They are also priced very fairly.

In fact, Toyota/Lexus is the only brand I will purchase OE rotors for (whenever possible).

Oddly, I just ordered rotors and pads for our new to us 2013 Sienna with 121k. Noticing the shakes while braking from speed.

Ordered Centric GCX coated rotors and Raybestos EHT pads. RockAuto only has 1 Raybestos EHT rotor on hand unfortunately. Tho I've never had problems with Raybestos and Centric coated rotors. I use them interchangeably with most cars that come into my garage.

I'll have to check if the front air dams have been trimmed.

IME, the factory Toyota advics rotors are extremely high quality and much better quality than any of the aftermarket rotors. They are also priced very fairly.

In fact, Toyota/Lexus is the only brand I will purchase OE rotors for (whenever possible).
Have you noticed any differences between the Toyota/Lexus OE rotors made by Advics vs Advics branded rotors?

So, I've heard a couple of thoughts here that I'd like to summarize, perhaps challenge, and maybe eek out just a little more conversation.

The factory design is fine - it's "fine", but really not great. On my German cars I'm usually an OE guy but here I think I can do better, which means some aftermarket parts but performance is the key while still maintaining daily driving safety (e.g. cold performance) and fit (e.g. pads don't rattle around in the calipers because of poor tolerances)

Yellowstuff is for racers - I have heard in the meantime that Yellowstuff is different between "cars" and "truck and SUV". That means that Sienna "Yellowstuff" might not be the same as Miata or GTI "Yellowstuff" in terms of formulation and performance. There are a lot of different members here with a lot of different cars - I'm quite interested in minivan Yellowstuff just as a datapoint. Thanks to those pointing out other good options like R4S. I don't have a place in Canada to purchase yet but working on it.

I don’t think Pagid makes rotors for Sienna and all their rotors are high carbon.
YellowStuff will be same compound. If you are willing to test it, by all means do it and let us know.

The element3 or raybestos eht is currently my go to. On both my f150 and gs350 they are major improvements in brake effectiveness and feel. They have a slight dusting penalty over oem ceramics, but the stopping power is significantly better. I believe they are semi metallic, yet there is very little penalty when cold. They do seem to take a deeper bite out of the rotors, but my priority is braking function not rotor life. The GS is more of a sports sedan while the truck is a tow vehicle - the pads are excellent in both uses.

Craig, did you check that?

Are Brembo Xtra, Ferodo DS Performance and PFC Z-rated easily available in Canada?

I still think PFC Z-rated should suit your needs quite well.

Reactions: Y_K

OK so Toyota OE is "Advics"? I have seen that brand for sale somewhere. FWIW, the local dealer is a place I've priced. Front rotors have been backordered for 2 months with no confirmed end in sight.

Craig, did you check that?

No sources yet. The last 24h have afforded no opportunities to search, however. I see you've mentioned amazon.ca. I get lots of stuff from there however I have run into general observations from others that there is a lot of counterfeit items there, especially if not sold & fulfilled by Amazon. I'm not ruling them out, but Amazon is never near the top of my list for car parts. I've heard enough stories of plug/coil/fuel injector issues for N55 alone that it's never the first place I shop.

Last edited:
Craig what about Raybestos element 3 pads and rotors? I've used them on my Caravan and they are working well. You can get them shipped to Canada from Rockauto. Shipping was about $60 but I added a few other things to the order.

Craig what about Raybestos element 3 pads and rotors? I've used them on my Caravan and they are working well. You can get them shipped to Canada from Rockauto. Shipping was about $60 but I added a few other things to the order.

I was going to mention in the thread - Rockauto will ship here. Shipping is ~$160 but sometimes it's still less expensive than buying from a Canadian online retailer (never mind brick and mortar or the dealer). It's a sad state of affairs when it's still cheaper with shipping expenses as high as that.

Pre-COVID I was starting to send stuff to a US holding location and drive across the border every couple of months and pick stuff up. Saved tons. Can't really do that right now. The holding company isn't even operating.

EDIT: ...and even with Rockauto...they don't list Element3 for the front, only "Street Performance". Raybestos site says Street Performance line may or may not be fully coated "depending on application". I want the edges and vanes/interior coated - period. It matters not to me whether the hat is Grey Fusion or Black Fusion as long as it's one of the two. And, even at that, Rockauto only has 1 front "Street Performance" rotor. Good thing this isn't an urgent job lol

Last edited:
Toyota designed it for 7 people and their stuff in it. OEM pads and rotors are perfectly fine for it. I always thought people who buy EBC pads are just boy racers who think the colors, yellow red green are cool and are willing to pay double for them.
Good in theory but having just had to replace front rotors and pads on a very gently driven 2019 RX350 with 24k miles on it I'm not as confident about Toyota's choice of brakes.

Good in theory but having just had to replace front rotors and pads on a very gently driven 2019 RX350 with 24k miles on it I'm not as confident about Toyota's choice of brakes.
That is probably longer than what aftermarket will last you. I've seen aftermarket pads and rotors last 10-15k on the vans/suv's before developing pulsation. Just had a RX350 with terrible pulsation with Centric Pads and rotors after 10K.

OK so Toyota OE is "Advics"? I have seen that brand for sale somewhere. FWIW, the local dealer is a place I've priced. Front rotors have been backordered for 2 months with no confirmed end in sight.
Advics makes their rotors. Pads can be Advics, NBK or Akebono (rarely). Advics was OE for the pads in that application and they also have a revised compound for shudder issues. The revised pads have a different part #.

Have you noticed any differences between the Toyota/Lexus OE rotors made by Advics vs Advics branded rotors?
I have only used the Advics branded rotors once and they looked identical.

It is absolute garbage. Their rotors will start to vibrate after any aggressive use. It is absolute garbage on Land Cruiser Prado I have in Europe (maybe understatement actually) and EBC definitely resolved the issue with vibrating rotors. Right now on Sienna, I have Raybestos Element3 and Pagid pads, and it is holding fine.
My SIenna is some 4,600-4,700lbs. The front rotor has less contact surface than the rotor on my 328 which is a 3,500lbs vehicle.
Agreed with all of the above. When our 2018 Sienna had 12k miles the front rotors were vibrating badly. The rotors were also completely rusted after about a year. The replacement rotors were also from Toyota and did the same thing. I finally got tired of it and went aftermarket. I'm not sure what Toyota used for OEM brakes on these vans, but they are garbage. It doesn't help that the rear brakes look like they were designed for a small car.

Agreed with all of the above. When our 2018 Sienna had 12k miles the front rotors were vibrating badly. The rotors were also completely rusted after about a year. The replacement rotors were also from Toyota and did the same thing. I finally got tired of it and went aftermarket. I'm not sure what Toyota used for OEM brakes on these vans, but they are garbage. It doesn't help that the rear brakes look like they were designed for a small car.
It appears that the rotors are like 1" bigger than the camry.

It is front heavy vehicle, but my wife’s Tiguan, also front heavy vehicle, has bigger rear pads and packs some 1,100lbs less. Front is also larger.

Back