2 pounds of chuckroast/other cheap cut of beef
3 carrots
1 fennel bulb
1 onion
1 jar roasted red pepper
couple garlic cloves
1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
salt

Dice/chop everything up and throw it into the slow cooker for the day. Super tasty. Recipe was in our newspaper.

To go along with it, I made leek/garlic mashed potatoes.

5 Yukon gold taters
2 leeks
couple cloves of garlic
butter
sour cream
whole milk

Boil the taters (duh). While they're boiling, chop the leak, cook with butter, add garlic towards the end (so it doesn't burn). Let cool, put in a glass with some whole milk, and blend with a stick blender. When taters are done, mash and add the leak/garlic/milk puree. Salt, add sour cream, more butter until it tastes good.

Thanks for posting is right.
We're redoing our kitchen and I've been banned to the basement.
I expect to survive six weeks on crock pot fare, please keep the recipes coming. Any sources for instruction? I'm a novice.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
Thanks for posting is right.
We're redoing our kitchen and I've been banned to the basement.
I expect to survive six weeks on crock pot fare, please keep the recipes coming. Any sources for instruction? I'm a novice.

I had to look at Youtube videos to find out how to chop a leek and a fennel bulb!

I prefer the crockpot/slow cooker recipes where you chop everything up, throw it in, and that's it.

Google easy slow cooker recipes for what you're hungry for.

Sounds yummy. I like Bachelor Beef in the crock.
Medium sized beef roast.
Dry Italian salad dressing packet
6 pack of your favorite brew
Can of whole potatoes.

Perforate the beef roast with a long tine fork. Sprinkle the dry Italian salad dressing over the beef, working it into the holes.
Put 1 bottle of beer in the crock, along with the beef. Slow cook all day. Add the potatoes 1 hour before eating.
Serve with rolls or bread, and the other 5 beers.

Chili is another favorite, but it is better if you brown the ground beef first. Add all your favorite chili stuff to the crock and turn it on. Turkey chili's with white beans turn out especially good in the crock, as well as a simple Velveeta, chili, and Rotel tomato dip for snacking.

Last edited:
Some days I'll just chop up a ton of vegetables, throw in some chicken breasts, add a little low sodium stock or various soups, and let er rip for the day.

You can never go wrong with the standard fare beef stew. 1 pound chuck roast, can of taters, chopped onion and garlic, 1 bag of mini carrots, and a big can of crushed tomatoes. It's better of you brown the beef first, but if you're lazy like me, trim it a bit and throw the entire hunk in the crock put along with everything else and simmer for the day.

There is a staying facility near work that they contractors use if they can, as they allow a crock-pot in the rooms.

One will cook a leg of lamb, another a bunch of vegetables/vege stew etc. Then they all sit around their ceramic pots and eat like kings.

My beef stew is as follows.
1.5lb of gravy beef/chuck, chopped into 3/4-1" cubes
2 tablespoons of tomato paste
1 tablespoon vegemite.

Mix the tomato paste and vegemite through the beef cubes, and form a layer on the bottom of the crock-pot. Tomato paste seems to tenderise the meat some.

Two brown onions diced and layered...some (not much) garlic
2 carrots
1 Parsnip
1 small to medium swede
about 2 cupd of fairly finely chopped butternut pumpkin (finer the better, as the broken down pumpkin is the thickener.

1 375ml can guiness or other stout
1 425gramme tin of crushed tomatoes.

If I'm home in time, will rub butter through self raising flour to make a crumb, make a dough with 50% water/milk, and place dumplings on top of the stew for the last 1-1/2 hours.

Otherwise, I'll throw some potatoes into the stew when making it.

That sounds really good and I like beef stews. I'm starting to do more cooking but see I don't even know what a fennel bulb is. I would have to go to the supermarket and basically buy about everyone of those ingredients and that might add up. I guess it just sounds like a lot time and effort for a good homemade meal and that prevents me from cooking. I'm sure it's not as difficult as I'm making it out to be.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
That sounds really good and I like beef stews. I'm starting to do more cooking but see I don't even know what a fennel bulb is. I would have to go to the supermarket and basically buy about everyone of those ingredients and that might add up. I guess it just sounds like a lot time and effort for a good homemade meal and that prevents me from cooking. I'm sure it's not as difficult as I'm making it out to be.

It was actually quite cheap; 15 bucks total maybe and it's given me 3 meals already. I'm saving the last for tomorrows games.

Google is the ultimate way to learn how to cook; like I said, I had to look at a Youtube vid to learn how to cut fennel. Fennel is super tasty; it's got a nice sweet anise/licorice taste. Really made the stew flavorful without needing a ton of seasoning.

This was as easy as chopping everything and literally tossing it into the slow cooker, stirring it up, and letting it sit for 6 hours. I stirred it maybe twice in that time? Slow cookers are just awesome; easy, cheap, and healthy home cooking. It's like cooking for people who can't really cook.

Last edited:
Sounds nice!

No joke - the first book I downloaded to my Nook was a Crockpot Cookery book. 1000's of GREAT recipes. And I'm the "snobbe" who used to laugh at crock pots. No way anymore. Too many low slow good eats!

I just avoid any recipe that includes canned (cream of XXXXXXXX) soup. Yuck.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
2 pounds of chuckroast/other cheap cut of beef
3 carrots
1 fennel bulb
1 onion
1 jar roasted red pepper
couple garlic cloves
1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
salt

Dice/chop everything up and throw it into the slow cooker for the day. Super tasty. Recipe was in our newspaper.

To go along with it, I made leek/garlic mashed potatoes.

5 Yukon gold taters
2 leeks
couple cloves of garlic
butter
sour cream
whole milk

Boil the taters (duh). While they're boiling, chop the leak, cook with butter, add garlic towards the end (so it doesn't burn). Let cool, put in a glass with some whole milk, and blend with a stick blender. When taters are done, mash and add the leak/garlic/milk puree. Salt, add sour cream, more butter until it tastes good.

Drew,

I'd have to leave it on for 10 hours. For this, does the Crock Pot go on "Hi" or "Low"...?

Yikes........10 hrs might be too long. You could try it, but I'd for sure use the low setting. Maybe use high while you're getting ready for work or whatever, and turn it to low before you leave.

Here's the latest concoction that came straight from my brain:

4 chicken thighs, skinless/boneless
1 chopped onion
3 carrots chopped
1 package of mushrooms, diced up
1 celery stocks chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 pack of flavored wild rice
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1 can of cream of mushroom soup (just for Pablo)
1 cup of chicken stock

Toss it all in the crock pot, stir it up, and let er rip all day! I'm doing this one today actually. Might need to make changes to the amount of liquid.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

1 can of cream of mushroom soup (just for Pablo)

Pablo right now ------>
20.gif

I made the stew recipe from the first post today. Used a teaspoon of savory instead of fennel as the thought of licorice makes me puke in my mouth. I also used a quart of tomatoes we canned from our garden this summer instead of the 28oz can of crushed...it was outstanding! Very nice flavor and not heavy at all. Had it with a nice piece of crusty ciabatta toasted and buttered!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back