Not open for further replies.
Here's a good recipe for fried donuts.

Fried Donuts

1 cup sugar 2 eggs
1 ½ Tbsp. shortening ½ cup sour cream
½ cup milk ¼ tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder 3 ½ cups white flour
A pinch of salt

Mix eggs, shortening, milk, and sour cream. Mix flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and baking powder and add mixed wet ingredients and mix. Roll out to 3/8” thick, cut with a donut cutter, and deep fat fry at 375 degrees until both sides are light golden brown. Makes about 26 donuts. If they're hard the next day, microwave them for 10-15 seconds and next time don't fry them so dark.

Are there any donuts that are not fried?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
wink.gif

Yes. Donuts are either baked or fried. There's lots of baked donuts recipes. I prefer them fried.

Since it's Carnival/Mardi Gras season in Europe, and since donuts are THE mardi gras food, I'll gladly post a European donut recipe:

250 ml milk
42 g fresh yeast
500 g flour
2 eggs
2 yolks
40 g sugar
50 g butter
pinch salt

oil for deep-frying
250 g jam (optional, for filling donut)
some powdered sugar

Warm up the milk. Crumble the yeast into the milk and stir. Add 150 g flour and make a starter dough. Dust with flour and let rise half an hour in a warm place. Add, eggs, yolks and sugar. Mix with the starter dough, milk and flour, soft butterand pinch salt. Kneed into a smooth dough. Cover and let rest and rise for 30 minutes. Form 30 balls, flatten them and let them rise 45 minutes or until the balls' volume has doubled. Heat the oil to 170 °C. Deep-fry batches of donuts unitl golden. Remove the donuts and let them drain. With a pastry bag and metal tip, inject a little jam into each donut (optional). Dust donut with powdered sugar.

212vfc4.jpg

Originally Posted By: jmacmaster
wink.gif

Yes. Donuts are either baked or fried.

A baked donut isn't a donut.

250 g jam (optional, for filling donut)

Isn't napalm banned ?

I got some really good burns from Jam filled Donuts as a kid.

"A baked donut isn't a donut."

I assume that you are kidding, and, like me, prefer fried donuts, because there are countless baked donut recipes, and there have been since time immemorial. True, they're hardly fit to eat (they are aptly also called "cake" donuts), but nevertheless, they are donuts. Any professional baker will tell you that.

Last edited:
A baked donut is a small cake. If it's not deep-fried it's not a donut.

Well, you're most likely a minority of one on this. Check out a Google search for "baked donuts recipes". Saying that it is so does not make it so. You are, of course, entitled to define the word "donut" as you wish, but you will be hard pressed to find anyone who agrees with you. If we describe a table and call it a chair, describe a lake and call it a mountain, describe a cowpie and call it a Porsche, etc., etc, how are we to communicate with each other? We are not Alice, and we do not live in Wonderland. That said, I wouldn't eat a "cake" type donut if you gave it to me. It's like drinking decaf coffee. But, unfortunately, its still, by the common understanding of bakers worldwide, a donut.

Chef Entenmann may well call any sweet, round thing with a hole in the middle a donut -- that doesn't make it one, though. You can't just go by shape and looks, unless you are a totally undiscriminating consumer.

Do you consider "bagels" that haven't been boiled but just baked, bagels? Do you call any cheese that has holes Swiss cheese? Do you call any sparkling wine champagne? For many folks passing resemblance is all they need to define something.

Chef Entenmann may well call any sweet, round thing with a hole in the middle a donut -- that doesn't make it one, though. You can't just go by shape and looks, unless you are a totally undiscriminating consumer.

Do you consider "bagels" that haven't been boiled but just baked, bagels? Do you call any cheese that has holes Swiss cheese? Do you call any sparkling wine champagne? For many folks passing resemblance is all they need to define something.

Most people don't call something a donut simply because its a sweet, round, thing with a hole in the middle. BUT, most people who know about donuts know that some are baked and some are fried. I speak of most people; you speak of a single person, a chef.

And I have never alluded simply (or for that matter, at all) to shape and looks when it comes to a donut.

Of course, if its baked and not boiled, its not a bagel. So what? What does that have to do with donuts? The same of course applies to swiss cheese. We are not talking about the holes in, or the appearance of, a donut. For that matter, we're not talking about cheese (or bagels). We;re talking about how heat is applied to a mixture of ingredients to make it a donut. The same arguments of course apply to wine and champagne, which have nothing to do with donuts.

Yes, calling something a bagel, or swiss cheese, or champagne, does not make it so. My point is that the vast majority of opinion, if one bothers to research the issue, is that donuts can be either baked or fried. That's part of the commonly accepted definition of the word "donut". To argue otherwise is to agree with the Alice in Wonderland character who said that "A word means what I say it means". Which is a hallmark of those who seek to enslave us through language deception.

And I have never alluded simply (or for that matter, at all) to shape and looks when it comes to a donut.

Of course, if its baked and not boiled, its not a bagel. So what? What does that have to do with donuts? The same of course applies to swiss cheese. We are not talking about the holes in, or the appearance of, a donut. For that matter, we're not talking about cheese (or bagels). We;re talking about how heat is applied to a mixture of ingredients to make it a donut. The same arguments of course apply to wine and champagne, which have nothing to do with donuts.

And who said the following, sort of implying that was my kind of argumentation, while I said nothing of that sort?

Quote:
If we describe a table and call it a chair, describe a lake and call it a mountain, describe a cowpie and call it a Porsche, etc., etc, how are we to communicate with each other? We are not Alice, and we do not live in Wonderland.

You said that, and it was also utterly irrelevant. You gotta be some kind of spinmeister. Next we'll be arguing about that " low fat oil (Canola)." I'm looking forward to you supporting that piffle.
48.gif

"A word means what I say it means". Which is a hallmark of those who seek to enslave us through language deception.

You are trying to pass something off as something it's not. Shame on you for a lousy attempt at deception (or wishy-washy ignorance -- take your pick).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donut

Quote:
As well as being fried, doughnuts can be completely baked in an oven, and these varieties have appeared in some stores over the last few years. These have a slightly different texture to the fried variety with a somewhat different taste due to the lack of absorbed oil—and so have a lower fat content.

The traditional mass-produced fried yeast-based doughnut production process (such as used by Krispy Kreme) uses a partial baking (proofing) of the dough before frying (~20 minutes/125°F), but it is not classed as a baked doughnut.

When I was growing up we always talked about "baked donuts" and "fried donuts".

Originally Posted By: Pablo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donut

Quote:
As well as being fried, doughnuts can be completely baked in an oven, and these varieties have appeared in some stores over the last few years. These have a slightly different texture to the fried variety with a somewhat different taste due to the lack of absorbed oil—and so have a lower fat content.

The traditional mass-produced fried yeast-based doughnut production process (such as used by Krispy Kreme) uses a partial baking (proofing) of the dough before frying (~20 minutes/125°F), but it is not classed as a baked doughnut.

When I was growing up we always talked about "baked donuts" and "fried donuts".

If I go buy a donut I expect to get a fried donut. I have no issue with anybody selling baked donuts as long as it's clear what they are. Call it a baked donut! Then the discriminating consumer knows what he's getting before he takes a bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back