Was I wrong ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made lasagna last night...huge tray, and I've been trying to get as much vegetables as tastily as possible into it.

Usually use eggplant and silverbeet as a couple of the layers, but the silverbeet is just about ractus at present.

So yesterday tried something different.

Bottom layer was 1" square, approximately 1/2-5/8" thick eggplant. roast pumpkin was squished between the eggplant "quadrants".

Sauce was made with 1-1/2lb prime mince (ground beef), a large red onion, large brown onion, 6 cloves garlic (large cloves). Cooked until meat has dried off.

4 tbspn salt free tomato paste, cooked a little, so it starts to colour. A tin of chopped tomatoes, tin of cherry tomatoes, cup of red wine.

2 finely chopped carrots, 2 finely chopped zukes, orange capsicum (bell pepper?), half a medium chilli, couple of mushrooms.

Spices 6 sage leaves, heap of tubed basil, oregano, and marjoram. Dessert spoon of cocoa.

had no silverbeet, so grabbed some nori from the cupboard and added that instead.

layer of eggplant/roast pumpkin, pasta, meat, pasta, meat, bechemel and cheese, or potato mash and bechemel depending on which end you eat (better half doesn't work well with cheese).

Turned out pretty good.

Neighbour was over last night...sent her home with a big plate.

Fed a family of 4, a family of 3, and I'll have lunches 'till Wednesday.

(Only told the neighbours about the Nori this afternoon, thus the question)

I haven't put nori in a lasgna, so I can't say if it's good. The questions is, what did you think?

You put cocoa in there?

Yeah, I liked cocoa in a chilli that I cooked, and then the next one, so I thought if I spiced the lasagna up with a little chilli, then cocoa would be a compliment.

I like a layer of spinach/silverbeet in lasagna, as it adds a tanniny (well probably oxalic acidy) tang to it. Nori sheets were my idea, but I only had plate sized "brillo pads", which I cut and added to the sauce.

I thought it was pretty tasty, one of my better...kids ate their serves, and didn't get the chillie hint.

I'm more traditional I guess. If you didn't call it lasagna....I would be better off.

I like cocoa in molé sauces, typically for chicken or turkey - so it's not foreign to me. With peppers, and tomato - you are well within the bounds of "new world" foods. But nori - which is a stand alone food in combo
grin2.gif
with fish and rice and maybe some green onion, tofu, soy sauce, and wasabi.....is just something that doesn't go. To each his own!!

I understand...was watching a cooking show a while back and they has a lasagna which had a lot of pumpkin, no meat, and no tomato. I was horrified. Then saw a magazine with a "tortilla lasagna" of chilli and tortillas...even seen a creamy fish "lasagna".

Sometimes add Worcestershire sauce to spag bol to get the anchovy thing working.

Quote:
To each his own!!

Yesterday thought "what the heck"

What would you like me to call it ?

Would love to make a full on chilli lasagna(?) with some serious heat...would take me a long time to eat it.

I reckon a chilli biryani could be a winner.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I like a layer of spinach/silverbeet in lasagna, as it adds a tanniny (well probably oxalic acidy) tang to it.

I usually put either spinach or kale in my lasagna. Kale needs a little acidity added. A bit vinegar works well.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Yeah, I liked cocoa in a chilli that I cooked, and then the next one, so I thought if I spiced the lasagna up with a little chilli, then cocoa would be a compliment.

Suggest adding cinnamon, clove and allspice with the cocoa you add to the chili. Add cumin and the rest as usual. I generally add a bit of molasses and unfiltered apple cider vinegar too.

the cinnamon, clove and allspice really bring out the flavor and merge well with the cocoa, making the chili even better, IMO.

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back