Easiest way to x-ref a larger oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a larger oil filter for my wife's car. It currently uses a Wix 51348 (or equivalent) oil filter. I'd like to use one that's a little larger and maybe an inch longer.

What's the easiest way to cross-reference to the same spec filter, except a little bigger and longer?

Thanks,

Al

51348 specs:

Part Number: 51348
UPC Number: 765809513488
Principal Application: Various Chrysler/Jeep (82-06), Various GM (85-05), Lexus (90-06), Saab (67-06), Saturn (91-01), Suzuki (86-02), Toyota (88-06), Yugo (86-89), Harley-Davidson, Various Lawn&Garden, Farm Equip.
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 3.404
Outer Diameter Top: 2.921
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=21/37
Burst Pressure-PSI: 275
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micro Rating: 19

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.734 2.430 0.226

The easiest way is to call Wix. They probably can do a cross reference on their computer while you are on the phone.

Or, wait for TallPaul to get his new Wix catalog and he can go through it and find your filter.

Check the 51516 on their web site. Gasket and filter body seem indentical. About 1.3 inches longer.

I do what TallPaul does. I run the numbers through all the xef's ..even Donaldson and usually Baldwin/Hastings will give you a "longer/shorter" option when you run all those numbers through their xref. I then run all the various offerings back through WIX to see the spec's in a more informative format.

Most times you can get all the options. Otherwise it's "I found this works" type stuff.

At least you are looking for the most popular filter thread in existance ..at least in the USA
patriot.gif
Everyone uses it. VW, Ford, Mopar, Toyota. 3 or 4 can sizes, various lengths, and a few gasket sizes.

Wow, n8wvi, you're only about 45 miles or so from me.. here at Glenn, (just North of S. Haven)
offtopic.gif

Putting a 18mm X 1.5 thread in place of a 20mm on a vehcile? I'm afraid it might be too loose, unless you "doctored" the treads a bit, but still 2 mm is a bit loose if that is what you are after.

Also keep in mind my 18mm X 1.5 thread the ST3980 or PH3980 or PH3387A, etc etc.. all flavors of this filter..both short and long don't have a bypass valve built into the filter. I really would like a bypass valve in an oil filter. Call me cautious, but it is a way for oil to flow into the engine even withstanding of no or little filtering. Of course, with a bypass, then it pretty much becomes moot.

[ September 15, 2006, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Nebraskan ]

Putting a 18mm X 1.5 thread in place of a 20mm on a vehcile? I'm afraid it might be too loose, unless you "doctored" the treads a bit, but still 2 mm is a bit loose if that is what you are after.

No. Turning down a 20mm to 18mm so that you could have a perfectly snug fitting adapter for converting to 3/4-16. You probably have a 18mm stud/nipple. A 20mm won't fit. Turn it down and you too may be able to enjoy a larger variety of filters. Now whether or not 2mm is enough meat to rethread a 20mm stud ..that's something I don't know. The threads/mm are the same ..so it should work.

2mm is equal to only 0.07874" ie 78 thousands, so it is possible to 'rethread' 20 to 18, same pitch of 1.5mm I would hazard a guess that you would be wise to shave off about 0.020 in a lathe before beginning to uncomplicate thread roll.

Well, I don't need to ...I've got all 3/4-16 thread filters ..on an extended fleet of 6 cars.
grin.gif

However, if YOU wanted to expand your horizons of access to filtration it might be an option.

Yea I could do that, then I'd have to find a new CENTER adapter for my sandwich affair that came off a Buick LeSabre.

What would make more sense would be to use a center stud for the main oil filter mount that was 18mm X 1.5 (to fit into the car's oil mount) and then 3/4" x 16 pitch for other filters. Again, I would need to buy the perma cool sandwich adapter plug that was 3/4 X 16 for it to work as I would have no way of attaching the sandwich once I did that.

That's true. You would have to buy a $30 Permacool sandwich ..at least to get the extension ..well heck, you might as well just use the thing
dunno.gif

3/4" X 16 thread size IS pretty common...like weeds!
grin.gif

My Buick takes an oddball size, 18mm X 1.5mm pitch.
frown.gif
You can also take a tread gague with you shopping and check the pitch of the proposed filter and then make sure it IS 3/4" I have the 3/4 X 16 by 3/4 X 16 insert that goes in a dual bypas filter. I could just take that to the place that sells filters, check a few models and it if fits well, check it our online. Most of them are quite compatible, just difference in some specs.

Saaay.... I wonder if you could "EZ-OUT" the exisiting filter plug on a vehicle and screw in what thread you would like?
tongue.gif
Only thing is the poor guy that bought the car used wouldn't know that unless you TOLD him!
lol.gif

Saaay.... I wonder if you could "EZ-OUT" the exisiting filter plug on a vehicle and screw in what thread you would like?

Sometimes you can. Not all filter studs are threaded. Some are cast.

Anyone with a threaded 20mm thread that wants a 3/4-16 can get the MOPAR stud for the 80's jeep engines (probably others). They converted the 3/4-16 thread to 20mm with an adapter stud. Reverse the stud and you can use 3/4-16 on your 20mm application.

But if your filter mount is cast ..you're out of luck
dunno.gif

Hmm ..tmvtaylor could start a new line of filter adapters. He finds machine shops to do this sort of stuff for a very cheap price.

Hmm ..Nebraskan ..is 2mm enough to rethread a 20mm stud to 18mm ???????

Think of the possibilities
gr_eek2.gif

n8 ..glad you stopped by. I didn't think I could find the thread of your brilliant coup.
grin.gif

Albin,

To answer the original question....

An Amsoil EAO-34 or equivalent will work...it's 4.8" long and the same diameter as the filter you're currently using and of course the other functional specs are the same. I made this substitution on my 2.4L Tacoma (specs the EAO-57).

If you have room, the even larger EAO-96 (L=4.25", D=3.66") or EAO-15 (L=5.25", D=3.66") might fit. These are now manufactured with a slightly larger diameter gasket than the old SDF-96/15, which used an identical gasket to the 57/34. However this gasket looks close enough (about 0.03" larger ID/OD) to fit on a typical filter mounting plate.

Hope this helps!

TS

Albin,

The EAO-34 or equivalent fits the old 3.0L "Vulcan", Ford V-6 used in a number of applications. You can look up that application and find a number of filters with 8-11, psid bypass valves to use.

TS

Mobil 1, 209
K&N, HP2009

In place of the EAO34

Mobil 1, 301
K&N, HP3001

In place of the EAO15

Check out those at Autozone/Advance Auto, respectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back