Which Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which filter would you use? Filter A is what the OEM filter crosses to, both have the same beta ratio, by-pass vale setting, anti-drain valves, etc.
But Filter B has a micron rating of 5 vs 21 for Filter A, plus its a little longer. They Do & Will interchange, I have run Filter B on the engine for 450 hours, changing oil & filter every 200 Hrs w/ No Problems.
So which would you use? the OEM interchange Filter A or Filter B ?? BTW Filter B is cheaper, LOL
confused2.gif
confused2.gif

FILTER A
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Cellulose
Height: 2.98 (76)*
Outer Diameter Top: 2.69 (68)*
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed:
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/20
Burst Pressure-PSI: 400
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 21

FILTER B
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Synthetic
Height: 3.404 (86)*
Outer Diameter Top: 2.921 (74)*
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed:
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/20
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 5

Obvious these are WIX filters based on the beta ratio format info. I don't see how they can have the same "nominal micron rating" when they have the same exact beta ratio - unless it's WIX making up their own definitions. Go by the beta ratio.

ZeeOSix said:
Obvious these are WIX filters based on the beta ratio format info. I don't see how they can have the same "nominal micron rating" when they have the same exact beta ratio - unless it's WIX making up their own definitions. Go by the beta ratio. [/

Yep those are Wix specs, I wondered about the same exact beta ratio myself.

Originally Posted by 10ecfarmer
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Obvious these are WIX filters based on the beta ratio format info. I don't see how they can have the same "nominal micron rating" when they have the same exact beta ratio - unless it's WIX making up their own definitions. Go by the beta ratio.

Yep those are Wix specs, I wondered about the same exact beta ratio myself.

In the filter industry, "nominal" efficiency typically means at 50% efficiency (ie, beta=2).

Filter B shows 50% at 6 microns (beta 2 = 6 microns), which is essentially what they show for the nominal micron rating (5 microns).

Filter A also shows 50% at 6 microns, but shows a nominal microns rating of 21 microns, which makes no real sense.

I've completely given up on Wix's weird & inconsistent micron rating system.

And like Imp4 said: it won't matter - - at least not in your lifetime.

The beta ratios of Wix website were whitewashed more than a decade ago; nearly all are the 2/20=6/20 format. There are exceptions; they are rare. (Example being the filter for the 6.7L PSD where it's fully stated).

I ignore Wix "nominal" ratings; they're about as useless as their whitewashed beta data ...

If warranty matters, then pick the officially spec'd one. If not, then it won't matter most likely.

I'll say any "nominal" rating is a vague rating these days. As the linked thread also confirms it's not limited to Wix as seems to be implied here. See multiple links (ie.,Cummins, lenntech) and comments in thread. As for topic, unless you have a filter/vehicle warranty concern, use whichever you want.

Nominal vs Absolute Rating.

Filter B has better specs and is cheaper? As long as it is a name brand filter and will retain the warranty, I would definitely run filter B.

Just run the Wix, your engine will thank you....
Since they both are Wix, looks like the OP still has the option of either one with that recommendation.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back