Oversized filter problem

So I have a 2019 Ram Classic with the 5.7 Hemi. The Fram XG 10060 is what's listed as the reccomend part # however I'd feel better having a larger filter as the 10p60 is quite small. The 10575 has the same thread and gasket size.
On Fram's website, the only discernable difference is that they say that the 10060's bypass setting is 9-15(psi?) And the 10575 is 16-28(psi?)
Is this gonna cause any issues with startup or oil flow? I have a Wix on now cause I couldn't do my own oil change last time due to an injury. I wanna run the fram XG so the solenoids for MDS/VVT stay clean and clear because of the better capture rating at 20micron.
Fram XG10060 spec's
Height3.33
Inside Diameter22mmx1.5mm Th'd
Outside Diameter3
Anti-Drainback ValveYES
By-Pass Valve Setting9-15
Base Gasket I.D.2.45
Base Gasket O.D.2.76
Base Gasket Thickness0.191

Fram XG10575 spec's
Height4.06
Inside Diameter22mmx1.5mm Th'd
Outside Diameter2.984
Anti-Drainback ValveYES
By-Pass Valve Setting16-28
Turning Specification3/4-1
Base Gasket I.D.2.454
Base Gasket O.D.2.756

I don't own a Hemi but from all that I have read and seen about them with lifter and cam issues, I would be very hesitant to go down a road not recommended by the manufacturer, particularly if you are under warranty. Just sayin'.

On Fram's website, the only discernable difference is that they say that the 10060's bypass setting is 9-15(psi?) And the 10575 is 16-28(psi?)
Is this gonna cause any issues with startup or oil flow?
Only time that could happen is if you were starting up in very cold weather with thick oil and the higher bypass valve caused the pump to hit pressure relief sooner. There would still be oil flowing, but anytime the pump hits pressure relief a bit of oil flow is cut back. Chances are if the start-up is in really cold conditions, the pump is going to hit pressure relief with either filter. As with any engine, regardless of what filter is used, it's always a good idea to keep the revs low until the oil warms up so the pump and filter stay out of bypass as much as possible.

I wouldn't use a larger oil filter unless it met all OE performance specs.

A larger size doesn't necessarily mean it can trap more particles or go longer OCI's if that's what your after.

If you want clean MDS/VVT, change the oil and filter more often than recommended by environmentalists. This way, you won't need a bigger filter.

My recommendation, if there is room, is to use a remotely mounted filter(dual filter a plus) and have a better selection of filters.

NH is cold climate, long winters, short summers... I'd want the flow of the lower bypass.

And yes, if all else being the same, if the filter has more media area, you can trap more particles and hold more. But, that is not anything someone should worry about with a sane/safe interval.

With the 5.7 engine there could be clearance issues with the taller filter. My $.02 is to stay with the correct filter size and go with a 5W30 oil.

That's a good spread in PSI spec, I wouldn't use that filter. Your going to going into bypass more often and letting unfiltered oil back in the engine. Try and find one with closer BP settings.

I think you're kind of off base here. You are looking for some theoretical improvement but are willing to deviate from manufacturer determined specifications.

You will gain nothing from a larger filter other than piece of mind. And in this case it comes with a potential risk to your engine. However small, that risk exists.

XG (Ultra) synthetic media flows FAR better than paper material.... WAY LESS restriction.

I don't have X-ray vision, but I *SERIOUSLY* doubt you will see much of any (if ever) bypass events with XG filters.

Even if you do have a "bypass event", the duration will likely be for a fraction of a second and at a fraction of the flow that still goes through the media.

This is an issue people fret over.... but shouldn't.

I put Fram Titanium FS2 ( bigger filter) on both my Hemi 5.7 and they fit fine. On the Ram, install it from the front and it’ll slide in. The only reason they went to a smaller filter at the end of 2012 was adding electric steering.
I believe Overkill runs the over sized filter too.

Don't over think this, the oil was completely filtered when the engine was last shut off....

Back