Easiest Oil Filters to Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people complain about the oil filter location on the 4.2L trailblazers, but I think it's a piece-o-cake oil change compared to other vehicles I've owned or maintained. The filter is mounted vertically with a handy plastic drip-deflector clipped to the frame that directs the drippings into your catch pan. The pan drain aims staight down & is real close to the filter so only one pan is needed. The truck is just high enough that even a stout lad like myself can slide right under. No jack or ramps needed.

G/luck
Joel

No matter how you mount a spin on, oil is going to come out when you take it loose. The easiest oil filter has to be one of the cartridge ones. Unscrew the cap from the top standing up, and pull it and the element out catching what little oil drips off on a rag. Unclip the element, clip a new one on, a drop of oil on the O-rings, and screw the cap back on.

Note, the worst oil filter may be one of the cartridge ones too.

quote:

Originally posted by sjlee:
2005 Honda Pilot.

I just changed the oil for the first time last weekend. If you turn the wheels all the way to the right, then you can access the filter from the right front wheel well. No crawling under the vehicle. It's even oriented so that if you can prefill the filter if you wanted to.

Same exact procedure for a Honda Odyssey. You don't have to get under it or remove an aero kit to get at it. Just turn the wheels to the right and it is right there.

Only complaint is that there is a metal bar right under the filter that gets hosed with oil when you remove the filter.

Ditto, Ford Ranger.
Ditto Cavalier Ecotec.
Bill in Utah, Do you even drive that truck?
Chrysler Sebrings, and Merc Villagers are EZ too. Both have vertical filters, and easily accessed drain plugs. Jeep GC is another EZ change, but requires moving the pan around. Hardest one I currently own is the Focus. Hot exhaust, steering gear, and have to feel for the threads to mount the filter. But, I take everything down with me when I go under the car, so it is still one stop. Bill, I just can't get over how clean the belly of your truck is.
smile.gif

1996 Toyota Camry 2.2L the engine kind of lays back (reminds me of the old Dodge slant 6) the filter is looking up at you when you open the hood.

Hyundai accents. Nicely done hanging down behind the front bumper.

The drain plug on front of the oil pan is great for access but when the car is on ramps I figure a little oil stays behind. But this thread isn't about drains.
smile.gif

most new toyota engines are reletivly easy.
Any older 5S-FE (Camry 2.2 92-01) is cake. The Engine is tilted to the rear at about 15 to 20 DEG. Filter is right there.
1GR-FE (4.0 in current 4 runner and taco) is right on top. 1ZZ-FE (1.8 98-current corolla & 2k- current cellica) right on the bottom straight up and down. Same with the 1NZ-FE (1.5 ECHO,Xa,Xb) and 1NZ-FXE (1.5 Prius) I useto crack this filter loose and zing it off right into the drain bucket. (I was lube tech at toyota dealer.)
2AZ-FE (2.4 02-currnet camry)almost as easy, but the splash shield is kinda close to it.
My 03 Windstar 3.8 is also preaty easy. (Right underneath the van)

If you ever get caught with a low car and no ramps, here's an old mechanic's trick.

Drive the front wheel on the side where the filter and/or drain plug are up the little ramp formed by the curb at the edge of your driveway, onto the level curb. This will give you an extra 6" or so of clearance under the vehicle for you and your drain pan.

quote:

Originally posted by beanoil:

Bill in Utah, Do you even drive that truck?

Bill, I just can't get over how clean the belly of your truck is.
smile.gif

It's used quite a bit,
grin.gif

I just don't go looking for mud holes to drive through at 40 mph!

It's the best truck I've ever owned (out of 11 I've owned through out the years).

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

S10 Blazer 4x4 with the filter behind the front bumper on a remote oil filter assembly.

No reaching, no nothing.

My vote, the Chevy V-8 350 family of engine. The oil filter is vertical right close to the drain plug. Drive a nail through the bottom of the filter to drain it as the oil is draining from the crankcase into the same pan. Sit back and drink a beer. Then you can take off the old filter without even getting your hands dirty.

I think my dad's '47 Lincoln V-12 has the easiest one to change. It's a cartridge in a canister under the hood, so you open the can (1 bolt), pull out the old cartridge, and drop a new one in. My girlfriend's Subaru Legacy is pretty easy too, since I can reach under the front of it without raising it and change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back