Early new car oil change or not?

Hi all, we bought a 2021 Mercedes C300 (4 cylinder turbo) late August this year. 1st "scheduled" maintenance is 1 year or 10K. We'll never have this much mileage on it in a year, probably 6-7K max. With new cars, I've always done an early 1st change and was thinking of doing one at 1K miles along with the filter. I realize probably no one else does this old school stuff anymore. I then plan on doing change #2 in August 2022 which will be 1 year after purchase. Anyone on my side with this?

I dumped my 2003 Accord's oil at 500 miles. 260,000 miles later the car looks worn, but runs like new and uses no oil, much to the horror of Hondaphiles who swear that the 'high moly' initial oil has to stay in.

I changed the oil on my 2019 CX 5 turbo at around 1200 miles. Use Mazda factory filters only. I used about a half quart of oil during the first 5000 miles and it has settled down now and consumes no oil.

I use to change my oil at 1000 km (and 5000 and 10,000, then appr. every 10,000 km).
The first oil change is the most important one. See UOA, the first one shows by far the
most wear (break-in) metals (and some silicon, mostly from sealant). New OE filter on
any OC.
Transmission fluid? I use to change it between 5000 and 10,000 km on any new car. I'd
say the same applies - The first oil change is the most important one.
Anyway, I'd recommend doing some longer distance trips during break-in to maintain
the engine is up to temp most of the break-in period at least. However, as mentioned
in the manual avoid driving at constant speed, vary speed when possible.

I always do an early 1st change. It makes me feel better, cant hurt anything and might even help. Car and motorcycle manufactures use to call for that 600-1000 mile first change until they started calculating 1st year cost of ownership. Besides if you read this forum you already know you have an oil problem so go get that fix.

I always do an early 1st change. It makes me feel better, cant hurt anything and might even help. Car and motorcycle manufactures use to call for that 600-1000 mile first change until they started calculating 1st year cost of ownership. Besides if you read this forum you already know you have an oil problem so go get that fix.
Bingo.

I used to change early years ago but on my last new car which was my 14 Mustang GT, I just waited until the car hit the one year mark of the manufacturer's date which by then I had about 4,600 miles on it.

After that for several years I went by the OLM which the longest oil change was at 7,200 miles. Now I just change every 5,000 miles and leave it at that.

On my 98 Chevy truck which I bought new, I did the early oil change and it has always burned a little oil since new and does have piston slap when cold with 141,000 miles and I change oil on it every 3,000 miles. The Mustang uses no oil at 34,000 miles.

I'd do a 6k-7k oci and since it's going to take you a year to get there anyway I would just go with the scheduled maintenance. Dumping top of the line synthetic early is just a waste.

I did my "first oil change" on my new 2018 Toyota Camry at 450 miles. Only because it had 0W-16 in it from the factory. I put water in my backyard fountain, not in my crankcase. Since then it see's 0W-30 every 6 months with a new filter. It hasn't been to a dealer since we bought it 3-1/2 years ago.

With a turbo you're wise to change it more often.

350 miles into the IONIQ - oil and filter was changed. Being a hybrid, that's probably only 250 miles on the ICE. Reason? Just wanted to familiarize myself with the process and nothing else.

If you insist on changing oil early and the recommended interval is 10K, why not just cut it in half and do it at 5K?

Because most run-in and so most come-up of wear metals such as Fe, Al
and Cu happen on the first 500 to 1000 miles. I mentioned that in post #4.
Why drive with that crap in your oil another 4000 to 4500 miles? It doesn't
help at all with run-in, it's just causing unwanted wear. And yes, there are
studies out there proving this. Ideally you'd change your oil and filter at 500,
1000 and 5000 mls, though the very first question is whether it's just a lease
or you want to keep the car for a long period of time.

You are seriously second guessing some of the best automotive engineers in the world, Germans.

It's not the engineers, it's the marketing departments. Almost all engineers I
know agree on early oil changes being highly beneficial for both engine and
transmission.

On a side note: Why does that same question appear three times every week?
I don't think we'll get any new findings.

In the old days most European car makers including Mercedes recommended an early oil change for first and sometimes second change starting at 1,000 miles. The internal parts of new engines have microscopic peaks that wear down as they are run, and those particles get shed into the oil. Engines in those cars, especially the diesels, routinely last over 500,000 miles. Good luck getting that much life out of today's engines with 10,000 mile oil change intervals.

Back