Early 1980s Dodge D50/Mighty Max - thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
I thought it was the Mitsu 3.0 v6 that smoked so much in the early voya-vans. Ours did.

Our older 4cyl caravans never had oil burning issues, but I don't remember if they had the 2.2 or the 2.6. I remember ours were exceptionally reliable, and I believe they had timing belts.

2.2 had a timing belt and was designed mostly bu Chrysler. I have heard some people speculate that they got numerous ideas from the VW 1.7L engine used in earlier models. I heard the 2.2 wasn't exactly reliable because of head gasket issues, but those cars were on the brink of extinction when I went pro in this business.

2.6 had a timing chain.

Originally Posted By: css9450
Is this the same Mitsubishi 2.6 that was in the early Chrysler minivans? The one that smoked so bad at idle?

Those vans used to be everywhere, and for years it was a regular sight to be stopped at a red light and look around to see 3 or 4 of the things idling away, surrounding themselves and everyone else with blue smoke. Haven't seen one in years now, so maybe they've all gone to the great crusher in the sky.

The smokier ones were the Mitsubishi V6's they had troubles with valve guides.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
An excellent project for an SBC.

What is usually done is to transplant all drivetrain from a Conquest/Starion in it, almost a bolt in. Same weight more or less and sometimes twice the power and and somewhat ready to double that.

4G63T is probably more do-able than finding a running 4G54 Starion/Conquest.

The truck itself has junk steering components. The idler arm was made of papier-mache....okay, not really but I've never seen one that did not need or have a new idler arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back