E-parking brake longevity

I read all too frequently on here that the new fangled electronic parking brakes are ticking time bombs but I have yet to read of a case where one has failed. For those of you that have a vehicle equipped with one, how many miles on your car, how frequently do you use it, and have you had any issues? There are about 30K collective miles on vehicles equipped with e-parking brakes in our family and we have not experienced any issues, and they get used nearly every time the vehicles are parked.

Most of them are too new to be old enough to fail :cautious:

Some EPB systems automatically activate the parking brake every time the car is off, so the parking brake actually gets used.

Non-use of the parking brake is the biggest reason for rear caliper failure for parking brakes run off the rear caliper/pads, so if anything, the EPB actually helps more than it hurts.

I know people with a 2006 Tiguan, 2007? Jetta TDI wagon, and a 2012 Q5 and they haven't had any issues with the emergency brakes. One of our neighbors has an older Q7 and and some Audi sedan that I figure probably has them, again no problems.

and they get used nearly every time the vehicles are parked.
Isn't Florida flat? You don't trust the parking pawl in the tranny?

The new GMC has one and it must be able to measure grade because it will set it automatically if I park on an incline. Getting used to that. Seems like one more thing to go bad in the rust states but maybe not.

EPBs are around for ~20 years, so any common issues should be well known today.
My GTI has an EPB (as any Euro spec Golf Mk7 comes with it) and I use it every day.
Easy to set in the menu if you want it to engage every time you park the car or not.
I have it at "automatic" and it works flawlessly, as well as the hill assist does (which is
a different animal, since it applies all four hydraulic brakes - many get confused with
these two systems). You guess it, I prefer the EPB over a conventional parking brake.

70,000 miles on my Chevy SS manual, and I use it every time I park. Living st 7000 ft in the mountains it has to hold on some HILLS! Still working well.

2021 Tucson. Too early to tell but I use it every time I park the car. I also use the Brake Hold function at ever stoplight. I'll keep you all posted...

Just sold my 15' Genesis. After 7 years and 80k miles it worked fine. It turned itself on depending on the parking incline when you turn off the car and turned itself off when you put it in gear and touch the gas pedal. It also would randomly turn on on flat surfaces, so about 1/2 the time it was used.

Just sold my 15' Genesis. After 7 years and 80k miles it worked fine. It turned itself on depending on the parking incline when you turn off the car and turned itself off when you put it in gear and touch the gas pedal. It also would randomly turn on on flat surfaces, so about 1/2 the time it was used.

When do we get to see your new Stinger?

Just watched a video where Eric O from SMA fixed an E-parking brake on a 2017 Civic. It looked as if the owner dropped the caliper during a pad change and pulled a pin out of the electrical connector for the actuator.

I'm good with these systems provided I can still do a pad and rotor change myself without special equipment.

Back