E-parking brake longevity

Looks like the unit is sealed and there is nothing to service. Here are a few generic screen shots.

11A189F2-C52B-40FC-8092-1454DBDF6421.jpg
52860D34-BE81-4DB3-83B4-A2727F7F154A.jpg

use mine everyday at least on average 4 times Monday -Saturday. More if we do shopping. #4k miles from new 2019. Last time I did a complete power wash cleaning and tire rotation I always in spec the condition of the suspension and brakes and the E-brake still looked OEM new. I have also not detected a change in the motor sound actuating it either.

I still would have liked and prefer good old hand actuated e-brake for various reasons. ;)

The thing I really dislike is the motor drive is so slow. I had one set up on the bench to see if I could modify one for "off Highway use" but the motor drives are so slow I have not figured out a way yet to speed them up to be useful for say a launch control (line lock) or for drifting with a momentary and adjustable attenuation dial button combination . I think my idea is beyond the current engineering use of an oem unit? However if you power them with 24 volts they wake up "Its alive". The down side however is obvious.

I never use them unless I'm parked on a cliff suitable for billy goats. Guess I will not shy away from using them anymore.

My Mazda CX 5 has an EPB that I occasionally set when parking on a grade so as to not stress the Park feature in the auto transmission.
My Jaguar sets the EPB every time you put the car in Park. It still has a switch to engage/disengage the EPB but I'm not sure where you would use it. Maybe if you put the car in Neutral temporarily rather than in Park for some reason ?

My brother has a 2015 Audi SQ5 in salty Boston area with 150k. Trouble free but guessing dealer maintenance helps.

Our 2018 VW Tiguan has 87k and fine. However a bummer because the rear brake work required a VDS? (VW) tool to put parking brakes in proper position and recalibrate after replacement.

I read all too frequently on here that the new fangled electronic parking brakes are ticking time bombs but I have yet to read of a case where one has failed. For those of you that have a vehicle equipped with one, how many miles on your car, how frequently do you use it, and have you had any issues? There are about 30K collective miles on vehicles equipped with e-parking brakes in our family and we have not experienced any issues, and they get used nearly every time the vehicles are parked.

I've replaced parts of the e-brake on close to a hundred cars over the last years. Luckily mostly under warranty as at first the manufacturer wanted over 4000 euro for a handbrake actuator.

Can one of you that uses the e brake daily explain to me why you feel the need to do this, assuming you aren't parking routinely on a slope?

Can one of you that uses the e brake daily explain to me why you feel the need to do this, assuming you aren't parking routinely on a slope?

I'm not sure you have a choice with some vehicles today. There's probably a way to disable it, but I know in my in-law's new 2021 Rogue, every time you put it in park the electronic parking brake puts itself on.

1) habit from driving a manual, even with a EPB.
2) it's one more layer of security added to the parking lug in the automatic transmission. If you're parking on a slope, resting on the EPB than the parking lug usually means a smoother shift out of park.

1) habit from driving a manual, even with a EPB.
2) it's one more layer of security added to the parking lug in the automatic transmission. If you're parking on a slope, resting on the EPB than the parking lug usually means a smoother shift out of park.
Ditto on both.

I was taught to use the parking brake every time. Early on with manuals because it made sense. Later with automatics because of the habit created. It’s a natural reflex for me now after 45 plus years of driving. It doesn’t hurt anything.

We have a 2017 Fusion with the El-brake; no issues yet but only 27k miles on it, and I use it all the time when I drive the car (it's hers, so I only drive it on Sundays for church, but at least it gets exercised every week). So we have yet to know how it will play out ...

However - we have friends who had a 2015 Fusion, and the rear El-brakes failed (seized, perhaps?), and they had to spend around $1000 for a fix at the dealer. Admittedly, the dealer is probably the highest-price around, but still, even at an independent shop it wouldn't have been cheap by any means. I think their car had about 50k miles on it, and I doubt they exercised it much, if at all.

My BIL has a 2010 Genesis 4.6 owned from new, the EPB failed about 15 months ago, dealer wanted $6k CAD to fix. It has since been disabled with no plans to repair.

If u are talking the style with the motor on the caliper, they seem to be VERY trouble free from what I have seen. I have only ever changed couple. I have changed some that were wrecked by someone trying to jam them back with piston compressor/or taking them apart but thats not a part issue. Have done quite a few of the jumper wire harnesses on fords. They are MUCH better than the shoe in the rotor style in the rust belt, only get about 3 years on them up here before shoes rot off/hardware seizes solid.

What scares me if these systems disengage when put in gear. I use my pedal emergency brake every time I have to leave wife in van with ac running as I have two dogs that love drivers seat. If you ever owned a Ford that jumped in gear then you would get in habit of emergency brake use.

What scares me if these systems disengage when put in gear. I use my pedal emergency brake every time I have to leave wife in van with ac running as I have two dogs that love drivers seat. If you ever owned a Ford that jumped in gear then you would get in habit of emergency brake use.

The dogs would have to push the brake pedal while pawing on the shifter, I don't see that happening.

Back