drywall crack. how do i fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
had problems with this area as long as i have had my house. it lifts in the winter and cracks. not sure how to fix it. i know we got some savvy home diyers out there

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'm in a different country so detail construction methods will differ.

My house is drylined with taper edged plaster board with a thin layer of finish plaster on top. Where I have movement at the join between two boards the only thing that works is to remove the finish plaster an inch or so either side of the join and then apply a stronger modern fibre glass jointing tape. I then use a specific jointing compound intended for the purpose over the tape to re-finish.

Originally Posted by JTK
Hard for me to tell from the pic, but is that an outside corner?

yes. there is a truss connection at that corner and a great room there. its truss movement that opens and closes with the seasons.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
Originally Posted by JTK

yes. there is a truss connection at that corner and a great room there. its truss movement that opens and closes with the seasons.

Gotcha.

I'd put a piece of outside corner molding, or some type of molding over it and call it day.

Like said, if you do a conventional tape and mud repair, it's just going to crack again with the movement.

Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by JTK

Gotcha.

I'd put a piece of outside corner molding, or some type of molding over it and call it day.

Like said, if you do a conventional tape and mud repair, it's just going to crack again with the movement.

+1

Everyone is wrong in this thread, that's a cornerbead: a thin metal angle that is nailed or screwed to outside corners to increase their durability. If you look at the part that has chipped off, the pattern stamped into it is unmistakable. Something could have whacked that and knocked the plaster off, but it doesn't look that distorted. It could have just popped the plaster off due to expansion or lack of adhesion.

You do not apply tape to beads, they stand proud of the board and you feather the plaster out to the surface of the drywall. To fix it, you need to remove the loose plaster, reapply new plaster and then paint it. The hard part will be replicating that stucco? finish.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Everyone is wrong in this thread, that's a cornerbead: a thin metal angle that is nailed or screwed to outside corners to increase their durability. If you look at the part that has chipped off, the pattern stamped into it is unmistakable. Something could have whacked that and knocked the plaster off, but it doesn't look that distorted. It could have just popped the plaster off due to expansion or lack of adhesion.

You do not apply tape to beads, they stand proud of the board and you feather the plaster out to the surface of the drywall. To fix it, you need to remove the loose plaster, reapply new plaster and then paint it. The hard part will be replicating that stucco? finish.

Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by JTK

Gotcha.

probably what i will have to do. any repairs in the past just don't last . as soon as the corner lifts it cracks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back