Drove a 2021 equinox

I leased a 2018 GMC Terrain (basically a restyled Equinox). It had the 2.0 turbo which includes wide Michelins and bigger brakes. It was quite nice - quick, quiet, nice handling and good MPG (for an SUV). I liked it as much as my 2020 Accord (1.5 turbo).

The new equinox is so much better than the old one. The interior feels worlds better.

I liked the 2010-17 and the current Equinox/Terrain(2018-pres) better the the top scorers & sellers in the segment and I have driven all of them. It feels more grownup than even the current CR-V. The Honda may have a slightly better interior in vinyl/plastic materials but I wouldn't say that it looks any better(subjective), just different. And I'm more of a Honda fan than a Chevy/GM fan.

And after driving the new RAV4(the smart choice), I just don't see the fascination from the automotive press. I even disagree with my favorite auto reviewers. It feels cheap, loud, tinny & unrefined. It feels like Toyota engineers didn't finish it and rushed all of its versions to market. However I did not drive the hybrid, which is said to be the best version.

Last edited:
My understanding of this 3rd generation Equinox is that the 1.5 L turbo will be the only engine offered as of mid 2021. However IDK if it'll be paired w/ 9 spd auto. The diesel option has already been discontinued due to the low take rate.

My wife is on her fifth leased Equinox: 2012, 2014, 2016, 2018, and 2020.

The 2020 broke the streak of never having to take one back the dealership for a warranty repair. When I picked it up, the TPMS light was on. I guess I never had to take it "back" to the dealer since it never really left.

I can confirm that it is bland and boring, but it gets the job done at the right price and returns great fuel economy.

My wife is on her fifth leased Equinox: 2012, 2014, 2016, 2018, and 2020.

The 2020 broke the streak of never having to take one back the dealership for a warranty repair. When I picked it up, the TPMS light was on. I guess I never had to take it "back" to the dealer since it never really left.

I can confirm that it is bland and boring, but it gets the job done at the right price and returns great fuel economy.
That's what most buyers are used to at that price point.
Spend another $20K on a different SUV and it gets exciting

Never thought of the equinox as a SUV- thought of it more as a four door hatchback. Times they are a changing.
I still think of body on frame as SUV … and FWD Uni as CUV … marketing folks do their own thing …

Reactions: GON
Back