Drove a 2021 equinox

Comparatively, the Tiguan and CX-5 come to mind.

No experience with the VW but we have a '14 RAV4 and daughter has a '15 CX-5 and you could not tell them apart blindfolded. No appreciable difference in driving dynamics. The Mazda interior is a black hole of blackness where the RAV at least has some gray panels on the dash, door inserts and seats for some visual interest.

Maybe Mazda put some Zoom-Zoom in later models?

What does OP rocky say?

If that was the case I would think a stop sale would have been issued? I know of a recall that could start a fire
Ok I added an emoji … thought it was obviously sarcasm
My niece (real estate) has done 3 year leases on the (top end) Traverse since they came out …

No experience with the VW but we have a '14 RAV4 and daughter has a '15 CX-5 and you could not tell them apart blindfolded. No appreciable difference in driving dynamics. The Mazda interior is a black hole of blackness where the RAV at least has some gray panels on the dash, door inserts and seats for some visual interest.

Maybe Mazda put some Zoom-Zoom in later models?

What does OP rocky say?

Sorry I don’t understand how someone could not discern driving dynamics between RAV4 and CX-5. Did you take them on a curvy backroad?

The CX-5 I had came with a light color interior. Like most mfgs you still have choice of interior color.

Sorry I don’t understand how someone could not discern driving dynamics between RAV4 and CX-5. Did you take them on a curvy backroad?

No, I've not thrashed around with the RAV4 or her CX-5 to push the limits and honestly don't see the point in a FWD cute ute. In normal day to day driving in town, commuting, on the highway, on 2 lane country they're nearly identical. Same size engine, same hp & torque numbers, even same tire size, physical specs within fractions of each other. Her CX-5 has a warning if a car is beside you and push-to-start and a bit more headroom because we have a sunroof. When someone says a car is bland and boring I understand it to mean it's character and appearance and interface. I could live with either day to day equally well and they were the 2 we considered, wife liked the RAV4 better so there you go. My experience is with MY 2014 & 2015, maybe there's more differentiation now? But this is about the Equinox, sorry.

Still curious what the OP dislikes about the Equinox? He didn't say the handling sucks when driven hard or it's gutless.

My understanding of this 3rd generation Equinox is that the 1.5 L turbo will be the only engine offered as of mid 2021. However IDK if it'll be paired w/ 9 spd auto. The diesel option has already been discontinued due to the low take rate.
The 2.0L turbo option is returning for the 2022 model year, so it is only going to be out of the lineup for the 2021 model year.

As soon as I hear about a 'cheap', CUV, and good gas mileage, I google the cargo space
Falls short of my Sportwagen.

2021 Equinox 29.9 ft³, 63.9 ft³ with seat area (31 mpg hwy)
2016 Sportwagen 30.4 ft³, 66.5 ft³ with seat area (36 mpg hwy)
Fails my spec comparison.

Our next likely purchase - is an Outback
32.5 ft³, 75.7 ft³ with seat area (and 33 mpg hwy or 30 w/ 2.4T)

Cargo capacity + hwy mpg = road trip / camping car.
I'm no longer that concerned with handling. I just don't 'push' the VW all that often. Its usually full of gear!

How does the cargo height work? One thing that bugged me when I had my '04 Jetta wagon was the ceiling height. Trashcans were a bit tight. Plus it was kinda annoying to drop the rear seats--not awful but I had to pop the headrests off and toss someplace, then flip the cushions up, and then the LATCH buckles were in the way. [Of course that last bit would be true for a CUV too.]

I do still miss that wagon though... I've got no love for our CRV whatsoever. Anyhow, not really relevant, sorry for the divergence.

The 2.0L turbo option is returning for the 2022 model year, so it is only going to be out of the lineup for the 2021 model year.
Good to know. I don’t know if I would have chosen it, but GM dropping the 2.0T meant I didn’t even cross shop it before ordering my 2021 Escape.

The Trailblazer is different from the Blazer. Yes, they have both now, and ironically the Trailblazer is now a tiny little thing and the Blazer is bigger, but still kind of small.

The Blazer I think shares more with the Traverse. Available V6, same size wheel studs, 4500 lb towing capacity, etc. It's sort of a "Traverse Sport." GM's CUV lineup is getting a little confusing, but I think they are trying out a variety of ideas to see what takes with buyers.

I do think they need to think about the names more. Naming a tiny micro CUV Trailblazer makes no sense when it started as a luxury Blazer, and grew into a much larger SUV than that. The Traverse should have been called Trailblazer from the start, Blazer should have been kept in the bag for a Bronco/Wrangler competitor, and they could have used Traverse for the thing they are currently calling the Trailblazer.

My understanding of this 3rd generation Equinox is that the 1.5 L turbo will be the only engine offered as of mid 2021. However IDK if it'll be paired w/ 9 spd auto. The diesel option has already been discontinued due to the low take rate.
I didn’t even know there was a diesel. That would be a pretty neat little suv.

We rented this 2019 in Hawaii last year. A big nope from me. Are there deep discounts off sticker prices on domestics? Otherwise I really don’t know how GM competes.
F9E7D584-A67D-4337-9D01-2FF96370F4CD.jpeg

Back