Driving with a CVT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a 2012-Subaru Legacy with the CVT. I traded the car in two weeks ago-not because of the CVT but other issues.

The CVT was fine.

Lot of CVT hate on BITOG.. I'm curious when I hear "it hunts for gears". We now have 8-10 speeds transmissions coming. It would seem with that many gears those things will also be "hunting" for the right gear.

Long term reliability for CVTs? They have been around for years-in both vehicles and other applications.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuously_variable_transmission

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Today I drove a new Honda CRV with a CVT transmission. I think I might skip buying one because of the drivability. I just did not like the hunting around and the numb response. It made me feel like I was abusing the engine..

Was this a brand-new zero miles CRV? Just curious because like all automatics these days, they need some miles to "learn". If you are a car person like we talk about in all the threads on this topic, you WILL feel the differences of a CVT vs what you are used to. I know many non-car people that didn't even know they had a CVT vs conventional AT.

I've had 2 Subarus with CVT, a 2012 Legacy and currently a 2016 Forester and a 2016 Nissan Quest. The Subaru can be a little rubber-bandy and noisy, but it goes when you need it to. The Nissan is just awesome. Quiet, smooth and will pin you back in the seat if you get on it. The Nissan does do what feels like a single shift, but that might be the TC locking.

I bought a 2013 Nissan Rogue 18 months ago. Never got used to the cvt; either trying to accelerate or going down a hill. Merging onto a highway was just an exercise in over-revving. I tried to explain that it has two speeds, forward and reverse. With a lot less parts than a conventional transmission, the manufacturers must think it is what people want; they even program the cvt to mimic shift points. Not something i liked in addition to underpowered engine.
I initially looked at trading for a 2014 Passat; same 170hp; but the difference with a transmission was amazing. They offered nothing for the Rogue in trade as the VW dealer had 3 others on the lot. Guess I wasn't the only one.

Originally Posted By: PhillyJoe
I bought a 2013 Nissan Rogue 18 months ago. Never got used to the cvt; either trying to accelerate or going down a hill. Merging onto a highway was just an exercise in over-revving. I tried to explain that it has two speeds, forward and reverse. With a lot less parts than a conventional transmission, the manufacturers must think it is what people want; they even program the cvt to mimic shift points. Not something i liked in addition to underpowered engine.
I initially looked at trading for a 2014 Passat; same 170hp; but the difference with a transmission was amazing. They offered nothing for the Rogue in trade as the VW dealer had 3 others on the lot. Guess I wasn't the only one.

Maybe. It's the best selling vehicle right now. The Rogue has passed the Camry in sales. So acceptance of the CVT doesn't seem to be an issue-except of course on BITOG.

The Rogue was a good grocery-getter and I always felt safe in any weather, but I was coming out of a Grand Prix GT, so I was down 90hp before all the quirkiness. Ended up getting a 2014 MKS Ecoboost this past Saturday. Makes the Grand Prix look like a Chevy Spark. My kids asked if I was going to miss the Rogue; but they knew the answer.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Huge difference between a 2013 Rogue and a 2017 Rogue.

Yes there is. Much more refinement. AS I said-number one selling vehicle. Of course-on here that doesn't mean anything, as has been stated before that sales doesn't equal a good vehicle. A BITOGism.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
The also have IIRC, 7 virtual gear/feel = fake shifts as do the other MFGs.

That seems a bit weird.

If I understand you correctly, they are simulating what was an imperfection in a "classic" GM style auto box because that's what people are used to?

Well yeah, sorta! I can't explain it completely. But for example, when you give the gase part throttle, there a simulated feeling of a kick down. And when you go WOT, the tach revs up to the/or near redline...drops off slightly and repeats several times(in sport mode only) in my case, to give the feeling of a shiftable automatic tranny.

"SIMULATED GEARS CHANGES" as the MFG's & the PRESS call it.
As one auto writer stated, "it's more of a sound than a feel"!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

These threads have been coming up often. I've driven quite a few now, and had similar impressions although I didn't like the Subaru unit very much either. Fortunately for me the vehicles I like aren't made with a CVT transmission, and hopefully it stays that way. Time to hide.
27.gif

I have a bigger problem. There is nothing that is being made now that I really like from any OEM. Actually, makes things easier from a buying perspective. It is very easy to walk away from a deal. I will just try and keep the vehicles alive as long as I can. Every time I just do a little net surfing and looking at various vehicles, it doesn't take long before I give up in disgust. And transmission types really are not one of the top reasons for that disgust.

I hear ya. There are a lot of reasons to stay clear for me. Rather than start a war, I won't list my reasons for avoiding certain vehicles, but I will say CVT is on the list.

I may not like the sound of the engine staying at a continuous high rpm(Crosstrek) but I know that it's technically most efficient. It's not exciting, but it does give the best acceleration and mileage for the provided gearing, right?
The few skirmishes I've had driving it were interesting. I could see the other car lose that tiny bit of time in between gears.
Some drivers, notice I say some, not all, get uneasy when the revs get close to 4,000 r.p.m. so to them there is something wrong with the drivetrain and commonly blame the CVT. An engine in certain circumstances is working less hard at higher revolutions.
I had a friend who bought a new Civic with a 5 speed in the early nineties and he was worried about wearing out his pistons with high revs. Merging onto a highway at 45 mph short shifting with a tractor trailer bearing down on him at 75 mph and he was worried about piston wear!
Back to my point, floor your throttle once in a while, it may cure what ails you, or your car.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
"Other than that, I find my CVT to be smooth and unobtrusive. I did notice over the weekend that the CVT in my daughter's Impreza (which I'd guess would be the same one as in the Crosstrek) took quite a while to shift from drive to reverse and back."

That sounds ominous. Has the fluid been changed?

She doesn't even have 15kmiles yet, so the CVT fluid hasn't been changed.
I don't believe this is really unusual for CVTs, mine has a slightly longer delay than my other cars did but I got used to it quickly. No real difference after my fluid was changed around 60kmiles.

That seems a bit weird.

If I understand you correctly, they are simulating what was an imperfection in a "classic" GM style auto box because that's what people are used to?

I can set my car in I, S, and S# modes, and also have the choice between auto or paddle shifting settings in each mode.
For either setting, the car will pretend to have 8 speeds in S# mode.
If I paddle shift, the car pretends to have 6 speeds in I and S mode.
I only paddle shift in tough winter conditions because it is too slow for sporty driving. The downshift paddle shifter still comes in handy in the auto settings because I can stab at it when I'm going to get on it and jump up in RPMs quickly...the car was a lot less fun before somebody clued me in to this function. I actually put extenders on the rather small paddles since I use that trick so much, although I probably only really needed one.
I generally use auto S mode unless I'm driving in bad weather and stick with I...S# mode generally feels too jumpy and my mileage is pretty bad using it. In auto S# mode, upshifts are delayed to keep revs higher...some people say it is great for aggressive driving in hills with lots of tight turns, but it mostly just drives me crazy.

I believe this was all adjusted for the 2017 FXT and I'm not sure how things work now.

I've driven an Accord CVT and it felt fine
smile.gif

Ford really needs to replace those dual clutches with regular automatic transmissions!

I'd like to test out a new CRV with the CVT to see how it is.

My grandmother's 2011 CRV is dead slow in the mountains, only sits at 4,000 RPMs with your foot to the floor, won't go any faster/rev any higher. A CVT would be great and let it keep the RPMs high when needed.

Originally Posted By: 555
I may not like the sound of the engine staying at a continuous high rpm(Crosstrek) but I know that it's technically most efficient. It's not exciting, but it does give the best acceleration and mileage for the provided gearing, right?
The few skirmishes I've had driving it were interesting. I could see the other car lose that tiny bit of time in between gears.
Some drivers, notice I say some, not all, get uneasy when the revs get close to 4,000 r.p.m. so to them there is something wrong with the drivetrain and commonly blame the CVT. An engine in certain circumstances is working less hard at higher revolutions.
I had a friend who bought a new Civic with a 5 speed in the early nineties and he was worried about wearing out his pistons with high revs. Merging onto a highway at 45 mph short shifting with a tractor trailer bearing down on him at 75 mph and he was worried about piston wear!
Back to my point, floor your throttle once in a while, it may cure what ails you, or your car.
In the early nineties the national speed limit was still 55 so a tractor trailer bearing down on you on an onramp going 75mph would probably not be the norm.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

That seems a bit weird.

I can set my car in I, S, and S# modes, and also have the choice between auto or paddle shifting settings in each mode.
For either setting, the car will pretend to have 8 speeds in S# mode.
If I paddle shift, the car pretends to have 6 speeds in I and S mode.
I only paddle shift in tough winter conditions because it is too slow for sporty driving. The downshift paddle shifter still comes in handy in the auto settings because I can stab at it when I'm going to get on it and jump up in RPMs quickly...the car was a lot less fun before somebody clued me in to this function. I actually put extenders on the rather small paddles since I use that trick so much, although I probably only really needed one.
I generally use auto S mode unless I'm driving in bad weather and stick with I...S# mode generally feels too jumpy and my mileage is pretty bad using it. In auto S# mode, upshifts are delayed to keep revs higher...some people say it is great for aggressive driving in hills with lots of tight turns, but it mostly just drives me crazy.

I believe this was all adjusted for the 2017 FXT and I'm not sure how things work now.

Thanks for the explanation. Whole new world.

I've only had one autobox and never really got to like it. Currently, if I don't like the shift pattern, I can usually find the problem in the mirror.

I think I'm set with a transmission choice. I tend to keep cars and I'm worried that the CVT solution is not there to promote a long life. The idea of a rebuild is not comforting. I looked at one torn down in the shop and it's quite

Next, that small Ford I drove with the twin clutch is not ready for prime time. I actually felt like I was abusing the car by driving it and ended the test drive.

So far my choice is the Crosstrek with a manual. It's a small station wagon that can get around out in the desert where I spend a lot of time. The Subaru brand shows the reliability and build quality that is needed for a long life.

The Honda salesman told me they don't give discounts on the HR-V AWD and some have an addendum sticker. He stated that the Honda all wheel drive is so good that I'll never get stuck. He also educated me on what a bad engine the Subaru's have. He said they blow head gaskets and that the pistons wear unevenly because of the horizontal layout. My wife decided that she had to step in and tell him that the better the all wheel or 4-wheel drive system might be means that you'll just get stuck worse and have to winch or dig more, every AWD or 4-wheel drive vehicle will get stuck at one time or another or you're just not having enough fun. You'd think that if my wife knows this that the salesman should, also.

I do understand why you and others are concerned with CVTs. I will say my car has 187k miles and the CVT has been quite good. I do believe that the motor being a 3.5 has helped the CVT perform better as well. I think a smaller motor is not a great match with a CVT. I also believe that a larger motor than mine wouldn't be a good match for a CVT either. I also think the changing of fluid in these cars has caused some people some big problems as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back