Drivers with dangling arms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TallPaul
If just dawned on me that nearly every car I see with an arm dangling out the window is very likely equiped with an automatic transmission. Makes sense since an automatic transmission equates to boring driving experience, so thus the dangling arm as a sign of boredom.

When I used to deliver parts during the summer, I always had my arm resting on the windowsill, or out the window. Even when driving the manual trucks. Driving a manual isn't that much more exciting or "involving/engaging" as so many here claim it to be. After you get used to it and it becomes second nature, it's just as boring as driving an automatic. I think the reason you notice so many of these people are driving automatics, is simply because most vehicles on the road today ARE automatics and manuals are becoming increasingly rare.

I don't drive with my arm out the window anymore, because I hate driving with the window open. Those few summers made me realize how much I hate driving vehicles without air conditioning.

I drove with my arm up on the window for years while driving a manual truck w/o PS or A/C. It rarely ever tracked away from straight because it didn't have P/S. It was around 11-12 years in FL heat that made me appreciate a vehicle with A/C, which goes without saying. I never dangled my arm about, though. Could have a bug hit it or a piece of rubber/gravel from another car. I had a few pieces embed themselves into my forearm.

I remember a movie back in the 70s where a guy lost (or mangled) his arm in an accident this way. The character was a major league pitcher who lost his throwing arm.

Nope don't do it. But I am more concerned about the guys around here with their Chevy Blazers with no doors and the idiots that drive their Razors on the streets like you should enjoy them off road. I call drivers like that posers.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Never do. Kinda' hard with a manual trans.
grin.gif

I've done it with a stick shift while eating a taco.
24.gif

My wife rides shotgun with her foot on the dash/airbag area. That would be an orthopedic mess if we got in a wreck.
frown.gif

My mom works at a doctors office and had a guy show up their who had his arm shattered due to being tboned with his arm hanging out the window. His arm was already fixed but I guess he was coming in to get it checked out again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back