Driven with no oil - Wife's 2000 Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last I looked, used cars sold privately are on an "as is, where is" basis. No warranty express or implied and the condition of the car is whatever the buyer thinks it might or might not be. Given its mileage, I doubt if CarMax, a dealer or any other car buying site will take it. So no worries when selling this automobile, if in fact the OP does decide to sell it.

If it was me, I would drive it like stole it until it dies its inevitable death, and then call up the junkyard to haul it away.

Some of you have obviously never done much business with the primary market for aged vehicles. Legal technicalities are of little use when an unemployed angry person has nothing better to do with their copiuous spare time than harass you for some perceived inequity.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Some of you have obviously never done much business with the primary market for aged vehicles. Legal technicalities are of little use when an unemployed angry person has nothing better to do with their copious spare time than harass you for some perceived inequity.

This x100. Add Social Justice warriors, and the entire county with a direct line to my boss and it's just a world of BS I'd rather avoid.

I'm willing to bet your car is just fine. In your video the engine sounds perfect. If there was any damage,you'd hear it.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I'm willing to bet your car is just fine. In your video the engine sounds perfect. If there was any damage,you'd hear it.

I'm not going with just fine, I'm going with minimally damaged. Its back running and the wife has been driving it. Not sure how many miles she's put on it since I last drove it, but we're still trucking along. I'm probably going to do one more oil change this weekend and let it roll with the normal schedule after that unless its still throwing lots of metal.

Originally Posted by ctechbob
...and the entire county with a direct line to my boss and it's just a world of BS I'd rather avoid.
You've alluded to your employment before so I understand where you're coming from. That sucks..... There's gotta be a way you can be treated like anyone else when doing private sales of anything though. I mean, what does your boss say to people who call him about something you sold them ? He can politely but firmly tell them to screw off and that it's a private matter and there will be no employment-related repercussions towards you in the matter.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
...and the entire county with a direct line to my boss and it's just a world of BS I'd rather avoid.
You've alluded to your employment before so I understand where you're coming from. That sucks..... There's gotta be a way you can be treated like anyone else when doing private sales of anything though. I mean, what does your boss say to people who call him about something you sold them ? He can politely but firmly tell them to screw off and that it's a private matter and there will be no employment-related repercussions towards you in the matter.

Ohh, he probably would, he's an awesome guy and a great boss. I'd just rather it not be an issue at all. I never want to have my honesty or ethics questioned if I can at all help it. Just not worth the time and hassle these days. Too many people run off to facebook with pitchforks raised any time they feel the least bit slighted. Not saying its right, or that I don't have a spine, but for something as minor as disclosing what happened to a car that not disclosing might get me another $50, its not worth it.

It does have its advantages though. Any time I sell something I usually arrange the meeting for when I'm at work, covered by 100 cameras and armed. The chances of me getting ripped off = 0%
grin2.gif

I did have one dude back out when I insisted that the only time and place I could meet him was at the courthouse/jail. He was either wanted, or wanted to rip someone off out of 2 tires I was selling.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
That's a tough day. Many women (and men) would keep driving after the oil light comes on, so don't be too hard on the missus.

are you kidding? She deserves an [censored] chewing over that one....lol

Glad to hear major problem was averted, sounds like it's minimally worse for wear. Sometimes we dodge bullets, sometimes we get tagged.

By the way, do you have a minute to listen to a product testimonial of a new product you might not have heard of: Restore? =P

Originally Posted by InvalidUserID
Glad to hear major problem was averted, sounds like it's minimally worse for wear. Sometimes we dodge bullets, sometimes we get tagged.

By the way, do you have a minute to listen to a product testimonial of a new product you might not have heard of: Restore? =P

LOL

I actually did pour some in, it magically took 300k off the car, so I put it up for sale 'like new' and got $15,000 out of it....You know, nostalgia and all for some dude who said he grew up driving that generation Accord.

Ok, not really...but life goes on, and the wife continues to rack up the miles.

Well, here's where the story ends. Unfortunately I won't be able to update any more on this saga. The wife and kid were just about plastered today by an inattentive driver in a 28 foot box truck. They're ok (banged up) but the car did its job and didn't survive. I'm going to go get everything out of it Monday and it will be the insurance companies problem.

Kinda sad, it was a good car.

[Linked Image]

Sorry to hear that is awful after al that work and years of good maintenance. Glad to hear your family is ok! That car definitely did it's job protecting them ðŸ‘

That always puts things in perspective for us. No matter how meticulous we are with the maintenance, some darned fool can always derail those plans with a moment of inattention. Everyone being in one piece is the most important part.

Well that escalated quickly! I didn't expect the thread to end like this. Glad no one was hurt.

We generally don't do new cars so it will probably be an 8 year old Pilot, which is what she was wanting last time we talked about it.

If I could talk her into a CRV it would be pre-CVT, neither one of us like them at all in any form.

We generally don't do new cars so it will probably be an 8 year old Pilot, which is what she was wanting last time we talked about it.

If I could talk her into a CRV it would be pre-CVT, neither one of us like them at all in any form.

I just got a new CR-V for my father's home caregiver.
What a wonderful car. I liked it better than the new RAV4 hybrid (pricey).

Good luck and glad everyone is safe.

Sorry to hear your family is banged up but at least they are OK. While you undoubtedly have insurance, look into a PIP claim for any deductibles you have to pay.

Few more pics from the scene, it was one heckofa hit. Wouldn't have taken much more energy to get to them in the front seats, I'm glad they weren't shutting any of the kids friends. Someone in the back seat would have been in for a much tougher time.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back