Driven with no oil - Wife's 2000 Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
It might consume oil going forward, but otherwise I think it'll keep chugging along.

Same thing happened to my 95 Accord, except the oil pressure light started to flicker about a block from my house, so I turned it around and went back home. At that time I didn't know about the retainer so I opted out to change the seal, timing belt and all pulleys while at it.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
if its just a local run around car , drive it until it die
s. if the body is still good condition you could slap a used engine in it also.

Fair point. Trade in value is likely next to nothing so why not drive it 'till the wheels come off, if all you're looking to do with it is run errands with it.

Fwiw if I were inclined to sell it before it dies, I wouldn't hide that part of the vehicles history to the buyer. I would emphasize that the cars still running but I wouldn't hide that past issue. That would be a dikhead thing to do and I've had it done to me in years past and it sucks. #karma

Last edited:
Even if you do disclose it....and the engine fails months from now...any puppy who bought it won't remember your honesty.

Don't sell it to an ostensively needy kid (student, recent parolee etc.).

Sell it to an adult and make sure the buyer knows the engine is likely on borrowed time.

This is a perfect car for a younger guy who works at a Honda dealership or body shop.

He's most likely to run across a good, used engine if he wants to do a swap.

Originally Posted by Kira
Even if you do disclose it....and the engine fails months from now...any puppy who bought it won't remember your honesty.

Unless written on a bill of sale.

The OP either buys and holds and runs them for a long time or buys old with miles and gets what he can. Props if he runs them for 200-300K miles. Wish I could.

Hint of the day: Do whatever make wife happy.

I second the used engine idea, when (and if) this one fails. This whole scenario turned out pretty good considering the circumstances against it. Usually people don't get that lucky.

I read about the balance shaft retainer and had my mechanic install it during the last timing belt change.

These are tough motors. Just keep on motoring. It ain't over til it's over.
19.gif

This is a textbook example of a vehicle badly needing Restore additive. RESTORE is not "snake oil" like some want to claim. Restore is a proven product that actually fills in abrasions and restores lost compression.

After the initial oil flush, add Restore at 5K intervals for the next 20K miles. This will actually undo some of the damage.

7/26/2019 Update - Drove to dinner and work, approx 12 miles, no problems other than the car stinks from burning off the 5-6 quarts of oil it dumped on the undercarriage. I didn't have time to pressure wash it off. Checked the oil level, it is where I set it last night after the 2nd change, so its not guzzling oil.

A little background on the car. We purchased 3 years ago with 212,000 on it. It has always burned through about 1qt ever 1000 miles. More than you'd like, not enough to be overly annoying.

As for selling. There's no point, there's very little sales value left in the car. The wife treats her cars like a tool. Doesn't care where she parks and totes around a ton of unneeded stuff, so body wise, its dented up and ugly. Mechanically, except for the burning oil, its in/was in good shape. All of the suspension and brakes have been well taken care of over the years. I just had the trans rebuilt when it ate a bearing in January with the intent of getting another year or two out of it before we moved her on to something else. I also would never sell something and not disclose any problems with it. People already hate me enough in my line of work, I don't need to deal with angry buyers as well that could well go running to my boss and create problems. Plus, I'm just not that kind of person to try and hose someone over just to make a little more money.

It will be driven until it quits. Then I'll decide what to do with it. F23A1 motors are about $500 used, so that's not a terrible idea, but I do need to get the wife something bigger, and I don't really need 4 cars, probably 5 if the Granddad runs off and buys a car for the kid (Whole other argument I won't get in to, I've already lost that battle).

I'll keep updating as I drive it.

Last edited:
This is a 20 year old car with over 330k miles on it. The OP has no obligation to "disclose" this breakdown. It was caught rather quickly, repaired (properly), and is running like it ran before this repair. He shouldn't base things on what might have happened or what damage there might be. I mean, if it is still running fine 9 months from now and the OP then decides to sell, he should still disclose it ?

I'm not saying these things like I'm a scam artist either. Anything I sell, I always point out any existing problems too, whether it's mobile phones, one of the kid's bed frames, a lawnmower we've replaced, and so on.

Don't sell it to an ostensively needy kid (student, recent parolee etc.)
Who would seek retribution after they bought a 300k mile car and it smoked the mill months later? A movie villain?

Originally Posted by maxdustington

Who would seek retribution after they bought a 300k mile car and it smoked the mill months later? A movie villain?

Have you seen some of the people operating out in the world these days? Social Justice warriors will complain loudly about anything. Helicopter/Lawmower parents charging around like they run the show.

No thanks,

I'd rather disclose everything in writing with signatures. Might still be a headache, but it would be less of one. Plus, like I said before, I wouldn't take too kindly to people running to my boss (The Sheriff) making up stories about how one of his Supervisors ripped them off with a used car.

If there's one thing I've learned from doing this job, if its not on paper, didn't happen.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
This is a textbook example of a vehicle badly needing Restore additive. RESTORE is not "snake oil" like some want to claim. Restore is a proven product that actually fills in abrasions and restores lost compression.

The real failure he experienced was a big leak that wouldn't have been helped by any additive, snake oil or otherwise. As it stands, he notes it burns a quart per thousand miles, which is far from troublesome, particularly on a vehicle with 300,000 miles. Run some cheap conventional in it, even experimenting with a viscosity change for the heck of it, and drive it until it dies or sell it off.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
This is a 20 year old car with over 330k miles on it. The OP has no obligation to "disclose" this breakdown. It was caught rather quickly, repaired (properly), and is running like it ran before this repair. He shouldn't base things on what might have happened or what damage there might be. I mean, if it is still running fine 9 months from now and the OP then decides to sell, he should still disclose it ?

I'm not saying these things like I'm a scam artist either. Anything I sell, I always point out any existing problems too, whether it's mobile phones, one of the kid's bed frames, a lawnmower we've replaced, and so on.

I'm one who said I'd disclose..but only if I were selling it immediately. But 9 months from now and it's still running like champ, I'd let it be. The 9 months would be sufficient time to reveal any demonstrable damage.

But like the OP said, with the age a mileage and his recently rebuilt tranny... I'd (re) consider keeping it and run the wheels off it. Heck, who knows...that thing might go for another 100k! (I had an early 90's Camry that looked like crap when I sold it but the tranny and 4 banger still ran like a champ with over 300k on it)

Originally Posted by maxdustington

Is karma considered a movie villain?

Originally Posted by Garak

The real failure he experienced was a big leak that wouldn't have been helped by any additive, snake oil or otherwise.

The use of Restore is not an attempt to "fix or prevent a leak". Restore literally fills in abrasions on the internals. The byproduct of this is restored compression. Besides, any engine with 300K miles, even if maintained perfectly during its life, could easily benefit from Restore. Restore reverses wear to some degree. He should use Restore at 5K intervals, when oil is changed.

What would he gain out of that? He's got a car that's served him over a reasonable lifespan. Any excess money spent on additives or even expensive oil is really flushed down the toilet.

Has any formulator here suggested using it with each oil change?

Here is one mention of it I found fairly easily by Mola.

Last edited:
Not to mention, I'm not concerned about the rings. The car still has good power, doesn't smoke, and is smooth. I'm much more concerned with the main, crank, and cam bearings.

Restore's claim is that its for cylinder walls, not bearing journals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back