Drinking Water With Meals

Wow, after all these years of not drinking water with or even near my meals, I found out that perhaps I should be.
I think I may start drinking water with my meals from now on.
After I stopped taking magnesium 2.5 weeks ago I got a very dry lower colon and it hurt to go to the bathroom, so I added Mag again, but then I learned that drinking water with meals might also help quite a bit.
If you google "benefits of drinking water with meals" you seem to get most results in favor of drinking water with meals.
I drank a 12 oz glass of water with my lunch and I feel stuffed.

Should You Drink Water While Eating?

Last edited:
Drinking water, with and sans meals, is excellent for your health in many ways.
* It fills you up, tricking you into eating less or less often.
* It's generally free. Saving $ that adds up, even just $1 per meal is $1000 annually...
* Hydration is essential for your entire body, including colon and other organs.
* Add a squirt of lemon for flavor and added health benefits.

* It's generally free. Saving $ that adds up, even just $1 per meal is $1000 annually...
* Hydration is essential for your entire body, including colon and other organs.
There is almost nothing health wise that having enough water in you is detrimental to. I pretty much always have a 32oz bottle with me and my joke is I drink it like I need it to live. Finding ways to habitually drink it is a general life improvement.

I'd hate to tell you about all the years I took herbal laxatives to try to deal with sluggish elimination, when I could have drank water with my meals and been better off. Oh yes but the herbalists need to put bread and butter on their tables too, lol.

The dryness I've been having may have something to do with the fact I've been eating 1/2C of beans 3x a day for the last 2.5 weeks for their soluble fiber benefits. They say beans can be dehydrating.

Last edited:
Try preloading with a water before you eat to lose weight:

"Overweight and obese men and women randomized to two cups of water before each meal lost nearly five pounds more body fat in 12 weeks than those in the control group. Both groups were put on the same calorie-restricted diet, but the one with the added water lost weight 44 percent faster. A similar randomized controlled trial found that about 1 in 4 in the water group lost more than 5 percent of their body weight compared to only 1 in 20 in the control group."

We both drink lemon water all the time(y) She likes to make cucumber water, and strawberry water.

I typically do drink water with lemon 🍋 with my meals. I won’t touch water without lemon unless it’s spring water. Drinks are too expensive at restaurants I just get them at the gas station whenever I’m out they give us fountain drinks since we have been going there for a long time.

Wow, after all these years of not drinking water with or even near my meals, I found out that perhaps I should be.
I couldn't imagine not having some liquid to wash down the food unless it was something salt free like bare salad greens. How do you stay hydrated? Have you had kidney stones? If the taste is too bland there are plenty of alternatives. My choice is Arizona diet ice tea. Go through 2-3 gallons per week the last five years and haven't had a stone since.

Water - colorless, odorless, and tasteless.
How can something like that be so refreshing to drink?

I really started to appreciate water many years ago when I was outside cutting firewood on a very hot day.
There is nothing better than a cold glass of water.

Fun Fact: Water just keeps getting recycled.
The water we drink today could have been the same water cavemen drank thousands of years ago.

Only water for me 98% of the time. Sometimes, if I want something with some flavour, I'll have a soda sweetened with stevia, but that's rare. I don't drink alcohol, so other than water, it's black drip coffee or espresso for me. Half a glass of red wine twice a year with my dad; at Easter and Christmas dinner and I still have beer in the fridge from January 2020.

I can't remember if I read it on BITOG or not, but recently, there was an article suggesting that water during meals actually dilutes the meals nutritional values. 🤷‍♂️

Drinking a fair amount of water every day has been helpful to my well-being in a few ways. I have a few quart glass milk bottles in the fridge, some of which are always filled with filtered water. Often I'll squeeze some lemon or lime into the liquid, sometimes another citrus. Trader Joe's has carbonated water at a very good price and in a variety of flavors, There are always some bottles in the fridge. Sometimes, for one of several reasons, I'll mix the bubbly with cold, refrigerated water.

I try to drink a 12-oz glass before eating, and then sip some throughout the meal. I love a glass of cold, flavored water when I wake up and drink about 12 oz with my morning meds. I try to drink a minimum of a quart per day, but often I'll drink more.

Weird thing is, I hate drinking plain water ... adding flavored water to my diet has helped me dring more H2O.

I love ice cold milk and ice water. There is truly no reason to drink milk at all. High in calories and, without the added vitamin D and A the dairies put into it, almost no nutritional value for humans. The fat is good for baby cows, but we humans don’t need that either.

Back