draining filter on 2001 F150 5.4l

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it will be as low as it will be. MC filters tend to have a good ADBV. The "s" is for silicon ..the best that we've seen so far.

So, that would be the least messy, imo. It may not amount to much difference though
dunno.gif

My feeling on this is that it's better to change oil right after the hot engine has been shut off. That way all the contaminants are in suspension in the oil instead of laying at the bottom of the pan. Also, you will get more oil out of an oil change if the oil is hot and thinner. To each his/her own.

I work at a Ford dealership and it ain't to bad really. The oil you get is goind to drop onto a plastic guard that actually lets the oil drain down infron to the passenger side of the front pumpkin. So when you get the filter off just let it drain first before pulling it all the way of then slowly take it the rest of the way off and have a drain pan down there. Some may come with the filter out the front of the truck but no biggie eiter just have a rag handy.

Install fresh new filter.

Now the fun part just stick a can of brake clean up there an spray the plastic pan down and let it drain into the drain pan and no fuss no mess and won't drip on your driveway.

Got a question. On my F150, I got the Motorcraft Fl420s (I think, forgot the exact number, but it's the Motorcraft and have a whole case of them at home, I'm at work now)and need to change the oil tonight. Truck has been sitting all week without being cranked up. My question is will the filter have less oil in it if I drop it now than if I drove it tonight and then dropped it? I'm sure it has the ADBV on it, but sitting this long, surely some of would have drained back into the pan. For those of you that don't have a F150, the filter is mounted horizontally and oil comes pouring out no matter how fast you are. Then it drips for about two hours. Ford was kind enough to put plastic drain "pan" around the axle, but it is still a PITA. Oh yeah, this is a 4X4 and you pretty much can't see anything up in there. You have to feel. You can wipe all the oil you want, but it still drips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back