Down side of partial oil changes?

I was afraid that not removing the drain plug for 3 years [ only occasionally siphoning a little out of the dipstick hole ] would lead to a lot of wear metals accumulating in the bottom of the sump.
Hypothetically assuming this scenario, and based on what you are saying, removing the drain plug then should help in removing those accumulated metals in the sump which consequently would be a good thing. Not sure what I'm missing here...

“As an engine operates, acidic by-products from the combustion process get past the piston rings and into the oil. The acids combine with moisture (every gallon of gasoline burnt produces 1/2 gallon of moisture) which can dissolve bearing surfaces.

Modern motor oils contain additives to combat the acid build up in the oil. As the oil becomes contaminated and turns acidic, the additives get used up. Preventing acid buildup is a very big reason for changing motor oil regularly. Short trip driving is the worst kind of driving for this problem as moisture is not boiled off during driving cycles.”

Change your oil every 6 months regardless of mileage.

you would be doing yourself ,and the car by changing the oil and filter properly,,go buy some high milage,extened performance oil of your choice ,good filter,,at say wallmart ,then take to a local mechanic ,pay him labor,(if he is willing to do this) and do it once a year if milage you put on is low (under 5k)

1 quart per 4,000 miles is burning oil, but not very much. Siphoning 1 quart from the sump and adding fresh oil seems like a lot of work for little benefit. You can do that a few times but yes there are downsides to doing this indefinitely, so I would not rely on this approach. Obviously you are interested in taking care of the car, and I know it's painful to crawl under, but still it deserves a proper service at some sort of regular interval, with top-offs in between. Get some help with a wrench or take it to a trusted garage. By what I have learned, it is generally recommended to do shorter oil service intervals as an engine achieves high mileage with associated symptoms.

Quick lubes are plentiful.
Pull into one annually, ask for synthetic oil since you are going to only change it every 12 months.
You don't need to get under it, or get your hands dirty, it takes 10 minutes.

Back