Done With Glocks

Al

History: Own three..42, 43, 26

First one I bought was my 42. Initially maybe 30 stovepipes after that 5000 rounds..no failures. Then and now one stovepipe out of 200 failures. Installed a new spring. No improvement.

Next my G43. Almost no failures out of 5000+ rounds. Then stovepipes and failure to eject. Replaced spring. No improvements.

G26. Stovepipes from the beginning.

All have had different ammo. Instructors have tried all three.

Conclusion: Statistically this is not enough sample size to confirm that Glocks have a general problem. I think its just a fluke that I have had problems.

My plan: Send all of them back to the factory. And then sell them to my local dealer. With all three I can buy the Sig Sauer P365. Obviously that can't happen now as they are not available for sale.

There are two common factors here, manufacturer and shooter.

If it’s not the manufacturer...then, is it possible that it’s a shooter problem?

I’ve shot a G42 that jammed and stovepiped on every magazine in the hands of its owner. But worked flawlessly for me.

I’m not clear from your post if they worked OK for others, or if this happens with consistency across ammo types. Winchester white box, made a few years ago, continues to be problematic in many of my guns. I can’t wait until I’ve shot up the last of that junk...

Last edited:
By the way, so other folks know, this is quite a change in position for you over the last couple of months.

If I did a lot of shooting for sport. And was 40 years younger I would probably play with a G2S. But I only do SD Shooting and take it pretty seriously. I don't have time to experiment. My carry will always be a Glock. The G43 is my choice.
Again not saying Glocks are the best. But I know and trust them.

I’ve tried on Glocks like I’ve tried on shoes. They just don’t feel good in my hands. The Smith & Wesson M&Ps just feel better. I looked at a Glock 43 and wound up with a M&P Shield 9. I’m happy with it.

Some guys SWEAR they've never had a Glock jam and I have and witness stovepipes fairly frequently.
Not Walther PPK regularity, but enough to where my enthusiasm for the brand isnt great.

UD

Some guys SWEAR they've never had a Glock jam and I have and witness stovepipes fairly frequently.
Not Walther PPK regularity, but enough to where my enthusiasm for the brand isnt great.

UD

Many shooters take time to adjust to the grip angle. During that adjustment process it's common to have malfunctions. Away form you to the OP's comment about a new 42 that malfunctioned multiple times when new then fine for 5k rounds. That statement supports my premise. Glock isn't like a tight fit 1911 or a Kahr that requires a 300 round break in to get things smoothed out. IMHO 30 stovepipes to 5k flawless rounds shows the learning curve of the grip at onset.

I own and enjoy lots of pistols of different manufacturer (Glock, Sig, H&K, S&W, Kahr, Springfield, Wilson, Kimber). Sig 226 and 229 are my personal favorites. I've been responsible officer for my department's move from 20 year old G17's to Gen3 G22/G23 and Gen4 G22/23. That is 270 Glock pistols in all. The 17's were tired but all worked and worked well. We had multiple shooters have issues moving from 9mm to 40 but that was recoil related and grip issues. Training fixed that.

We've never had to send any of those 270 pistols back to Glock. We don't have a program to replace RAS either; not even with the 40 caliber pistols. Love em or hate em is a ok but they perform and perform well. I realize I said the Sig's were my favorite and they are. Tell me I'm going to war tomorrow and I' taking a LMT or a Colt M4 and a Glock 17 will be holstered on my vest.

OP: The Sig 365 is an excellent pistol. It did have a number of performance issues that have since been worked out. No more trigger spring issues in the new ones. Make sure you don't get an older one. The issues were substantial enough Sig stopped production to fix. Commend them for doing it but that also shows how bad the issues were. Smoother trigger than the G43 but the gun comes with a lot more heft to lug around. Happy shooting.

History: Own three..42, 43, 26

First one I bought was my 42. Initially maybe 30 stovepipes after that 5000 rounds..no failures. Then and now one stovepipe out of 200 failures. Installed a new spring. No improvement.

Next my G43. Almost no failures out of 5000+ rounds. Then stovepipes and failure to eject. Replaced spring. No improvements.

G26. Stovepipes from the beginning.

All have had different ammo. Instructors have tried all three.

Conclusion: Statistically this is not enough sample size to confirm that Glocks have a general problem. I think its just a fluke that I have had problems.

My plan: Send all of them back to the factory. And then sell them to my local dealer. With all three I can buy the Sig Sauer P365. Obviously that can't happen now as they are not available for sale.

The google says:

A stove pipe is when a shell casing is not fully ejected from a gun when it cycles. This causes the gun to not return to battery (ready to fire with a shell chambered and the chamber closed).

Well no one knows me (really) and I don't know any of you. But you would Think that some one who has shot 10's of thousands of rounds, had 3 different instructors at a law enforcement academy, and is going for 3 more instructor ratings would know how to shoot. But who knows? And if it is me hopefully the P 365 willj work better for "me". The other thing is that like I said..5000+ rounds thru the 43 and 43 each-no problem. :shrug"

By the way, so other folks know, this is quite a change in position for you over the last couple of months.
Yep..both these things (G42/43)have occurred in the last 2 months. Sad but true.

Also, what do you mean the Sig P365 “are not available for sale”?
Well you can not just go into a store and buy one in my area. They just don't have one. The guy told me they can not order they wait till one shows up. He said if I call every day at noon or so they will have one in a week or two.

Last edited:
I know you’re very experienced, Al, from previous posts. That’s why I was wondering if your guns were having the same problem with other people.

Gun, magazine, ammo, shooter. All four have the potential to mess up the function on a semi-auto. So, I was asking to try and eliminate all the causes on what seems to be a gun problem, when my Gen 3 Glocks are near that round count with zero malfunctions (and a few new recoil springs). As in zero. Ever. Not when new. Not when well used. Not when in the hands of a 13 year old girl learning to shoot. Not ever. I own a lot of different autos; Glock, S&W, H&K, Colt, Springfield, Beretta, but the Glock is my go to for teaching new shooters because it never ever has issues.

That said, ammo shortages eight years ago, and the increased production that followed, resulted in some substandard ammo being produced (new workers, with shifts and plants working around the clock, whatever). I had a .40 S&W (a 4006) fail to extract twice with Winchester White box last week. Extractor and spring are good. 100% reliable with every other brand, but that ammo was bought in 2013, at the height of the previous shortage, and I’ve had problems with it in other guns, too.

So, in your case, when was the ammo made, and what kind was it, when you had the stove pipes?

While Gunbroker is expensive, there are a bunch of P365 for sale on there. Prices on anything right now, new or used, are very high, and the popularity of the P365 has exacerbated that problem for that gun, but if you want one, you can get it at that high price.

I’ve shot a P365 a few times. Like it very much. It’s a fine choice.

Yea Astro. As I said, maybe its me. But no matter. The ammo recently was Wolfe and Federal in the nine. and Lawman in the.380.

And glad YOU liked the P365. Apparently others (as per the internet :unsure:) feel the same.

Back