Done with ANY selling online!

I think my biggest gripe now is scammers! Today I decided to place an ad on Facebook Marketplace - something I never did before and never will again. I just wanted to get rid of a set of 20" Camaro wheels I have laying around. I mean it was not 2 min and I get those "is it still available" messages and I can see why that annoys people. I got a "woman" who said she was interested. Then she says there are a lot of fake ads and scammers out there so could she get my phone number. I gave her the shop number figured she would call about the item. But no... Then say says in order to make sure I am real can she send me a 6 digit number to verify who I am. I told her look I am just as concerned about scammers as you are and my safety so if you are interested we will meet in a safe place and you can see the wheels. She then sends the text with the code. I replied SCAMMER! and immediately blocked them and deleted the whole ad. All his in like 10 minutes! You can't even sell stuff without a hassle! I googled scams before listing the item so I was already aware of this 6 digit code scam - they take over your google account with it. I wish could slap the daylights out of all the scammers!

Ive been saying it for awhile but facebook is over run with scammers. They are on a lot of the buy sell trade groups, automotive groups, you name it. They are even creating their own buy sell pages so they can scam people without getting kicked off a legitimate page. Ive reported so many fake and scammer profiles that I have long lost count.

I feel bad for the honest people actually trying to buy or sell something on facebook. Its a crap shoot on there with market place.

I guess you could've just blocked her and kept the ad up and moved on to a real person? I don't sell stuff often but I try to make sure I've listed all the relevant details for the item so there's no questions, and price it to sell fast, and then it does. No negotiations, or weird payment stuff, as there's usually a few real people that are next in line. I don't get the most money possible for stuff, but it moves out fast with little drama.
Also if you are suspecting you are dealing with a scammer or bot, just don't reply anymore, don't waste the effort.

Even after getting rid of all the scammers, legit buyers are hardly worth it. I haven't sold anything in years - donate it or toss it. Sad but true.

I will very occasionally post something for free. I'll give them the address and tell them it is in the driveway and the first person to get it, gets it. No holds, no responding to messages, once it is gone, its gone.

Works great for mattresses and old appliances.

Granted, you still have the idiots that can't read and want to message you to hold it or something to that effect. I usually send them a link in response:

www.rif.org

This past weekend I gave away a Bassett entertainment center from about 1990. Big old thing. Cost a lot of money back in the day. Real oak and built in the USA. I had maybe 50 responses. Mostly scammers, an old woman and her old wife showed up last night and they were pulling a trailer with their pickup. I helped them load it and they were gone in a few minutes. They run a thrift store that helps finance meals for the needy. It is a hassle dealing with the scammers. I suppose I could have sledgehammered and chainsawed it up and hauled it to the dump instead.

I got "catfished" last summer, went to look at two used tires sold by a "woman." Was a dude and he had a whole yard full of them. He wanted $50, I offered $40, he refused.

Nine months later, he/she still has them and dropped the price to $40. Instead of hoarding stuff like this you've got to churn, baby, churn! Any reasonable offer should be accepted. I should go offer thirty bucks. :D

Then say says in order to make sure I am real can she send me a 6 digit number to verify who I am. I told her look I am just as concerned about scammers as you are and my safety so if you are interested we will meet in a safe place and you can see the wheels. She then sends the text with the code.
You must be new at this online selling. I always give out my landline to people I don't know. They can text away all they want.

I mean it was not 2 min and I get those "is it still available" messages and I can see why that annoys people.
That's just the stock, supposedly designed by FB staff psychologists, ice breaker line to start communication between two people. FB thinks it's users don't have 2 working brain cells to be able come up with an opening line when inquiring about an item. Just click on the stock reply, Yes Are You Still Interested. When I do that, 50% never reply back.

Even after getting rid of all the scammers, legit buyers are hardly worth it. I haven't sold anything in years - donate it or toss it. Sad but true
To get rid of building materials, I put the stuff out to the curb with a FREE sign.
Usually gone within 15 minutes.
It's not money coming out of my wallet, and it gets the yard cleaned with no fuss.
I've talked to the people who stop, and their always happy to get something for 'free' .... SCORE ! ! !

Last edited:
Have a nice Adidas sport bag that I found in the trunk of a car I bought, and listed on FB for $20. Guy says he's nearby so comes to look at it. Older Egyptian guy I guess, driving a RAV4 with handprinted delivery service lettering on the side. Looks at it top to bottom, mumbles something about wear or too old and his son might not like it and asks if that's my last price. I say yes and he leaves. I'm mean, what do you want for twenty bucks? It's a clean USED bag. Spend $50 on a new one then.

Back