Wife left a an 80V Li battery out in the rain............

Greenworks. Two blowers. Chainsaw, 4th chain, new bar. Weed whacker 4th season, never clean. Really good stuff. Strong and we beat the heck out it.

I have a varied set of batteries. The only sketchy battery is a cheap knock off (50% of rated Ah) - but point is EXPENSIVE for OEM.

As mentioned elsewhere, we've been working between HARD rains........wife was was string trimming along the beds and such. Welp, she takes out the discharged battery and leaves it on patio table.........got rained on pretty good, this was a couple nights back. I found it the following morning. She thought I would be angry. Silly girl, I don't get angry about such things. Sure it bugs me a bit, but never do I get angry at her about things.

I can hear water inside. So turn, turn, turn........no more water inside.

Anyway 80V 2A, ~$150. Made in 2021.

I do the AI chat bot at Greenworks. Useless.
I do the human online chat with Coreen. She just tells me warranty is void and good luck drying it. I told her I'm not a liar and if it dies, we are responsible. But zero tips on drying.
Call 800 number and do the call back thing see if they have tips.

So I start the serious drying process. Fan. Low heater. Blowing. Turning. Sun light. All day.

Call back comes in. Real guy. Fernando. He says, yes can dry. Should be OK/ Warranty still in place and will help if dead. He says, large bowl of rice! These bats are not tiny. 25# sack of rice......hahahahaha in a 5 gal bucket. Oh boy - but he said keep doing what I'm doing.

So yesterday AM the battery accepts a full charge. Seems dry. I used it exclusively. Near empty, full recharge. Use. Seems just fine! I have labeled it as being wet as of April 29 2024. Charged again just now.

Greenworks rocks.

Last edited:
Greenworks. Two blowers. Chainsaw, 4th chain, new bar. Weed whacker 4th season, never clean. Really good stuff. Strong and we beat the heck out it.

I have a varied set of batteries. The only sketchy battery is a cheap knock off (50% of rated Ah) - but point is EXPENSIVE for OEM.

As mentioned elsewhere, we've been working between HARD rains........wife was was string trimming along the beds and such. Welp, she takes out the discharged battery and leaves it on patio table.........got rained on pretty good, this was a couple nights back. I found it the following morning. She thought I would be angry. Silly girl, I don't get angry about such things. Sure it bugs me a bit, but never do I get angry at here about things.

I can hear water inside. So turn, turn, turn........no more water inside.

Anyway 80V 2A, ~$150. Made in 2021.

I do the AI chat bot at Greenworks. Useless.
I do the human online chat with Coreen. She just tells me warranty is void and good luck drying it. I told her I'm not a liar and if it dies, we are responsible. But zero tips on drying.
Call 800 number and do the call back thing see if they have tips.

So I start the serious drying process. Fan. Low heater. Blowing. Turning. Sun light. All day.

Call back comes in. Real guy. Fernando. He says, yes can dry. Should be OK/ Warranty still in place and will help if dead. He says, large bowl of rice! Oh boy - but he said keep doing what I'm doing.

So yesterday AM the battery accepts a full charge. Seems dry. I used it exclusively. Near empty, full recharge. Use. Seems just fine! I have labeled it as being wet as of April 29 2024. Charged again just now.

Greenworks rocks.
I'm sure it'll be fine with it being freshwater.
I managed to fly my DJI drone into our saltwater pool, the battery was toast but the drone has been fine following a submersion bath in salt-away and CLR.

Rice works well for such situations.
Found that out when a Motorola two way radio fell off my belt, and into a puddle.
Rice and a large Ziploc bag cured that issue.

Rice works well for such situations.
Found that out when a Motorola two way radio fell off my belt, and into a puddle.
Rice and a large Ziploc bag cured that issue.
No, bad, /slap

No, bad, /slap

Well. that was 15 years ago and doing so solved the issue at the time
The rice trick was considered proper practice at the time.
It worked then, and the same radio still functions as required today.
Works for me.

Well I guess IF I wasted that much rice, it would be buried under the garden or somewhere out back......you do know these batteries are 7"x5"x3".

Our rain water must be fairly clean!

I thought their products had an IP rating...good for use at least in rain. I could be wrong though...I have used our greenworks trimmer in the rain before.

Minerals in the rain water would be my concern. After the water dries, the minerals are left behind to conduct electricity. That can add a slow discharge path so the pack self discharges somewhat faster after you take it off charge.

Another concern would be minerals on any electronics inside the pack. If it does not function right, try to flush them away with Distilled water that has no Minerals in it, then dry before charging or using.

Low heat with a lot of air works well to dry it. Just sit it in the path of an air outlet of a forced air furnace for a couple of days.

Minerals in the rain water would be my concern. After the water dries, the minerals are left behind to conduct electricity. That can add a slow discharge path so the pack self discharges somewhat faster after you take it off charge.

Another concern would be minerals on any electronics inside the pack. If it does not function right, try to flush them away with Distilled water that has no Minerals in it, then dry before charging or using.

Low heat with a lot of air works well to dry it. Just sit it in the path of an air outlet of a forced air furnace for a couple of days.
Rain water here has very very low mineral content. I labeled it.............I have another with nearly the same serial number (same 2021 build date obviously)

The thing is, I may end up using this battery pack the MOST so testing won't be fair!

No, bad, /slap

full build playlist:

Rice works just wrap your phone in a paper towel so you don't get rice in your headphone jack

Source: i fell in a river and my phone got wet

Back