Will towing an automatic in drive turn the motor?

I used to notice kids or guys trying to push start manual trans cars and bikes and having a hard time. They were doing it wrong. You don't push start in first gear you push start in 3rd or top gear. First or second tries to spin the engine too fast ( 3.55:1 * 2.64:1 = 9.372)

So, on a wide ratio first gear T-10 with 3:55 rear gear, one rotation of the rear tire tries to spin the engine
almost 9-1/2 times! Put it in top gear that would reduce to 3-1/2 times - much easier to push or roll start.

- Ken
Used to bump start the Ford 8N all the time.

We were on top of a long hill and rolling the tractor down the hill was much more effective than the 6v battery when it had sat for a while.

Warm, it would fire right up from the battery, but after a long sit, particularly in winter, bump start every time.

I used to push start my dirt bikes at different times. I am not gutsy enough to tow a car at 35 mph and drop it in gear. Sounds dangerous and it's one of those "hold my beer" antics. Those old powerslides were slow but pretty tough.

I used to push start my dirt bikes at different times. I am not gutsy enough to tow a car at 35 mph and drop it in gear. Sounds dangerous and it's one of those "hold my beer" antics. Those old powerslides were slow but pretty tough.
Used to live on a hill. There were times when it was easier to bump start the Packard, than it was to have to recharge the battery, and get out the ether.

I generally used third gear

Last edited:
No, but make sure to disable 4x4 or pull the front driveshaft.

I saw a tow truck doing this to a poor GMC Canyon:

I saw tire treads on the road a few miles earlier and thought that that was odd for that time of year in winter, turns out it was from the front tires getting de-readed on the tow forks.

#2 son had a 2005 Colorado with the 3.5 5-cyl. He let it sit too long. Changed the battery and the oil and took it in to be smogged. They destroyed the motor reving it up to get tailpipe emissions to pass. Our chief suspect was bad gas combined with no load high RPMs.
If you figure our the start problem, I'd recommend you also drain the fuel tank and put in fresh gas.

My neighbor has a 2005 GMC Canyon pickup truck that has sat idle for a year. I've been helping him try to get it running again to diagnose the problem it has.

He charged up his battery and tried to start it and it just had a brief groan. Later I hooked up the good battery from my truck and you can hear the starter solenoid click but the engine doesn't turn, even the slightest. I suspect the engine is seized.

To see if I could unstick the engine I tried cranking on the alternator with a socket and a breaker bar but the pulley just slipped on the belt. The front of the engine is so tight that it's impossible to access the crank pulley or any of the other pulleys to try to turn the engine.

One of his friends suggested towing the truck. With an automatic transmission, if you put the transmission in drive and towed it, would the engine turn?

This would just be a brief tow to try to unstick the engine so we can fire it up to do the main diagnostics. Thanks.
No the torque converter will keep that from happening. This is why you can't pushstart an automatic vehicle.

Back