Donaldson: sold not sealed ?!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
Originally Posted By: Nissanized
I still think an accidentally single sand grain would do BIG, HUGE, damages to a bearing. And even trying to clean or applying vacuum won't let you be 101% sure there is nothing inside your new, unsealed, filter.
21.gif

It all depends on what goes on at the factory between the last production step and when it gets put in the box. If the plastic seal goes on at the factory, and then it goes right into the box, then any contamination done at the factory is already in the filter ... under the seal.

The seal is mainly to keep it clean once it leaves the factory, but IMO if it's in the box it really can't be contaminated unless someone pulls it out and subjects it to contamination.

Yes, this is more likely what I fear, a contamination out of the factory.

Quote:

Actually, if there is any loose debris inside the center core, a good vacuum will remove them easily. I've done it more than once.

This is what I'm going to do too, thanks

Originally Posted By: widman
I have about 750 different Donaldson filters in stock, manufactured in about 18 different countries.
The air filters come in boxes.
Of the oil and fuel filters, about 70% are shrink wrapped, the rest are in cardboard boxes like you posted, with 6 or 12 per corrugated outside box.
I haven't tried to figure out if it is a country thing or what, but even most of the cheap ones are shrink wrapped, then inside a small box and inside the corrugated one.
Maybe I'll snap some pics tomorrow.

car_progress.jpg

Thank you!

BTW I don't know what to say: I bought 2 and both were unsealed!

You got my curiosity up. I went down to my showroom and warehouse this morning and need to revise what I said. It looks like 90% or better of the filters are shrink wrapped or bagged inside the boxes. The only filters I found without an interior wrap are the ones made in Germany. Might be a few other countries.
Here you can see the triple packing of a couple of them, and in the next, just a shot of one of the stands in my showroom with a dozen or so various filters, all wrapped from the plant.
empaque_de_filtros_602px.JPG

filtros_varios_-_envueltos_600_ps.JPG

That is a nice filter. I have to measure my gasket surface, but if it fits I'll be using the same one.

Originally Posted By: labman
In modern manufacturing, threads usually are rolled, not cut, producing few chips. Contamination is more likely.

Outside threads are easy to roll. Oil filters have inside threads. Are those rolled too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back