Domesticating a feral cat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone achieve this?

I'm not talking about a stray cat that once lived with humans as they can usually adapt to human presence easily again, but a true wild cat.

We've been getting visits in the garden, a few weeks ago, from a few cats. I don't know how or why it started, but they were suddenly there. The wife started putting let over food outside at that point, and in doing so we could identify the strongest of the bunch really quickly. They had a specific order in which they helped themselves to the food and in 2 days only one kept coming. I guess any argument got settled the old fashioned way.

The one that kept coming is a female and was clearly (to me anyway) pregnant, although the wife and her friends figured she was just fat. I was right, as a week or 2 later she missed coming for a day and was thin after. Since then, she has shown her 6 kittens aswell.

Anyway, at first when we'd open the back door she'd run right out of the garden and return a few minutes later to check if we left food. Time went on and she'd only run to the end of the garden, then wait half way and return right after we go back inside.

Recently she's waiting right outside the back door or looking through the window into our living room but if we go outside she'll show her teeth and hiss if we get too close. I started to wait by the food in a lawnchair and see how close I can get her. Today I managed to touch the bowl with the food and shake it while she's eating without her stopping. She still hisses at me but even when I touched her ear today (naughty me) she didn't attack, just hissed and jumped back a few feet. In short, very defensive but not agressive.

When she brought her kittens over I'd hoped they would be more friendly, but they're actually worse than the mother. They definitely attack anything that comes within a few inches. They look cute, being smaller than my hand but they scare me. The mother obviously didn't like me getting so close as she changed her mind about having them on our deck and moved them under some bushes in the back of the yard. Iwas cutting the bushes back a bit today (chainsaw) and scared one of the kittens from under it. Maybe they'll move out of the garden all together now.

The cat will never be allowed to live in our house as the wife doesn't want animal hairs, but how domesticated and friendly am I going to get her, and how long will it take?

Is there a humane society or something that you can call that will capture and spay/neuter these cats?

I am doubtful you can get them tame like a domestic house cat. You may be able to tame them to a point, but they will not be like your beloved Fluffy when you were growing up.

First you must catch her and the kittens and get them all fixed. Without hormones she will be calmer.

Some cats domesticate much easier than others. Without more kittens to care for, when she will have a longer life.

Your best bet is to domesticate one of the kittens if you just have to have a pet.

Of course having a healthy outdoor cat means regular flea, worm, etc treatments.

And some will ask why you hate birds.

Good Luck

Rod

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Is there a humane society or something that you can call that will capture and spay/neuter these cats?

the city will catch and kill them.

When you get a feral cat fixed there is a standard they'll trim off the tip of its left ear to mark that the cat has had shots and spayed. The city should leave them alone then.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mk378
When you get a feral cat fixed there is a standard they'll trim off the tip of its left ear to mark that the cat has had shots and spayed. The city should leave them alone then.

Agree.

We did this with a male Maine Coon Cat.

With regular feeding the cat settled right down. Sits in our laps. Allows us to brush him. Gets along with our household cats and dogs.

Before getting him fixed, he was aggressive and stressed.

We de-worm him every spring and fall.

Last edited:
It takes food and time. Don't be pushy.

We are in the process now of taming a feral cat. I captured her at probably less than a year old with a badly infected leg. She was 3-legging it and surviving but very skinny. Evidently it's common for the cat that is losing the fight to get bitten on the rear leg when turning to escape. She's making up for lost time, now. When her leg was completely healed we took her in and had her "fixed" and chipped.

Now, she comes in the house and hides during the day. At night she goes out doing what ever. We can finally pet her and she is starting to seek out our company if we sit very still. It's been just over a year. She has figured out that not having to kill her food or raid trash cans and having a safe place to crash it good. Before she inhaled the food while looking around, ready to bolt. Today she eats at a leisurely pace and now even leaves a bit of food on the plate every now and then.

She is now interacting with the dogs and the crow that comes to visit. This has been a big step in the process of converting her from a monster to a pet. Her name is now Annie, like in Little Orphan Annie. Her first name was "ouch". Her second name was "[censored]" and her third name was, "SOB".

Last edited by a moderator:
My cat was a feral kitten. She was kicking the snot out of the kids, but with some forceful persuasion she calmed out of her violent ways. By year 2, she was the best cat ever, she used to babysit the kids, and when they ran off into someones house, she would be parked out in front of the entrance until they would come out. She would walk my kids to school, attack dogs and other animals (and shred the snot out of them) if my kids were nearby. She would greet me/wife/some neighbors every night form work, and be there for breakfast every morning for everyone as well. We have coyotes roaming, and I guess one was tougher than the dogs around here, last one I saw was taller than the average GSD. During winter time they loose all fear, saw one digging in a trash heap 20 yards away from my kids' school, at noon on a school day. Miss my cat.

We caught one in a live trap that was so mean he'd attack the cage until his face was bloody. He spent about 6 months in a cage with fresh food and water daily until he mellowed out. Took another year or so before we could pick him him.

Turned out to be the best cat we ever had. Loved people and dogs too.

So far her agression towards me is only verbal. I've touched her today while she was eating (she's letting me get close while eating, but isn't comfortable) and she jumped back like shot out of a gun, but didn't even attempt to bite or scratch me. That gives me hope that she'll eventually be a pet. it's only been a few weeks o feeding her aterall.

That she brought her litter over to our terrace is also a good sign imo, but I couldn't have that as they'll [censored] everywhere and are actually more dangerous than the mom. They killed the piece of cardboard that I used to test their resolve. She moved the litter away again after that, for the best...

through the window she'll oten meow at us now, and sometimes replies if I do it with her. but the next second she can show her teeth and blow. Strong teeth too, she ate a pork rib the other day.

chip implants are required here. Not going down that route. I'll give her some foods and a blanket + box to sleep, but that's about it.

I have 2 cats that were ferrels. The first one took months of feeding,then being close while he ate then finally petting him when he ate. He is now a house cat.

He does not like strangers or strange noises.

The 2nd cat was a kitten born from a ferrel cat that I could not get close to at all. The kitten was easy as he was only 3 weeks old when he came home with me after his mom got hit by a car.

So I think it depends on the cat.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
mk378 said:
chip implants are required here. Not going down that route. I'll give her some foods and a blanket + box to sleep, but that's about it.

You need to have the cats neutered or you'll have whole colony of ferals eventually. Check if there is humane group or facility in your area that will do low cost neutering and shots.

But I would just play it as though its your cat, not a feral or that will open a whole can of beans.

I've had several feral cats that I adopted to house cats successfully and they were the BEST and most loving cats I ever had. They all lived about 6-10 years as a feral cat has a lower life span for whatever reasons.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I've had several feral cats that I adopted to house cats successfully and they were the BEST and most loving cats I ever had. They all lived about 6-10 years as a feral cat has a lower life span for whatever reasons.

Feral cats get worms and other parasites that are untreated and shortens their life.

Where do you live ?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Where do you live ?

Europe.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
mk378 said:

You need to have the cats neutered or you'll have whole colony of ferals eventually. Check if there is humane group or facility in your area that will do low cost neutering and shots.

But I would just play it as though its your cat, not a feral or that will open a whole can of beans.

Yes I agree there's going to be a colony. In fact, there might already be one, seeing as 3 cats converged in my garden when this started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back