domain name - correct vendor

ok I am ready to buy a domain name, but like ur suggestions for the best vendor. I read somewhere many moons back that most places like godaddy u don't own the domain name but they do. I want to avoid that, I want to be owner of the domain. how do I buy this?

When you buy your domain name it is good for 1 year and if you do not renew someone else can get it. I renewed for 10 years the last time. I use Server 101 but I have heard that godaddy is good also.

I have always used godaddy.com for my domains and for others who I have setup. Never an issue, great support and always get ample time to renew. I would use them with confidence.

Godaddy has the most impossible UI and everything seems written in flash or java which crashes mediocre computers. They are cheap though.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Godaddy has the most impossible UI and everything seems written in flash or java which crashes mediocre computers. They are cheap though.
Yeah their UI isn't easy and I'm a techie, although I have been through the setups many times I still struggle because they keep changing stuff, but they are cheap so I guess a little "one-time" frustration for savings isn't bad.