Doing own oil changes under warranty?

Another question haha From my other posts I made the last few days about my wife's new Rav 4, I plan on doing my own oil changes in it. I work at a GM dealer as tech so I'm kinda capable of doing my own work.
Now I seen that crappy tire actually has Mobil 1 0w16 on sale this week for 29.99 which is good because I don't see it on sale often and it being basically half price, I'd like to buy some and stock up... Now here's my stupid question. Far as receipts go, can I buy multiple jugs on 1 receipt and multiple filters on 1 receipt or should I have 1 jug per receipt and 1 filter so each oil change has its own receipts? I was kinda thinking buy one jug, go back in buy another so I have 1 for each oil change with its own filter and document everything and keep everything seperate... Buy everything same day but keep it all seperate so each oil change has its own documentation... I know it's crazy but rather here everyone's opinion on what they do
Don't you get two oil changes from Toyota at 10k intervals? At least we did on our 2017 Rav4.

Took us to 25k, or about almost the full duration of the warranty period. I think they did the tire rotations at the 5k marks, so 5k, 15k and 25k

Oil changes at 10k and 20k miles.

After that, I just buy filters from the dealer as they are reasonably priced and change the oil.

No big deal.

Keep your documentation.

Edited to add sorry (haha) I didn't catch that you were in Canada. I don't know consumer law there. I'd still buy the filters from the Toyota dealer, or if you get the 2 year 40 thousand km Toyota Care like we do in 'Merica, just use the free oil changes. Good luck however you choose to go.

I mean think about that... who buys a new vehicle and never change the oil and filter in it. We all get reminders in the snail mail, email and even on our cell phones reminding us and also enticing us to go get it done because of specials!!!!!!! LOL
LOL look what came in my email today!! 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_20210916_151725465_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210916_151725465_HDR.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 55
Toyota does have their criteria for severe service for 5,000 mile (8,000 km) oil changes if, you meet it.

But that's why I pay for the pre-paid 10,000 mile OCI's, and don't mind paying for the 5,000 mile oil changes in between, as in the event of a oil-related warranty issue, having it documented within Toyota makes it easier for Toyota to warranty something... it's my money I'm wasting..... if there isn't a warranty issue.

ie, during the ski season, I will have a cargo box on top, which meets the criteria for severe service

I this iPhone app to track services, set reminders, and attach photos of receipts:

I take a picture of myself holding up the oil, filter, and a copy of the day's news paper and mail it to myself registered mail and put the unopened letter in my safe deposit box.

You know .... just in case.
You mean you take a picture of yourself while pouring in the oil, etc? Otherwise you could just take a picture of oil and a filter and skip the changing part. You could probably just shoot a video of yourself changing the oil and then just use the timestamp or just have the newspaper in the video.

Just keep filter/oil receipt date and mileage on receipt.. simple file keeping. Use and follow what the manufacturer recommends and if the filter box states meets or exceeds manufacturers specifications they can't hang you at noon.

I this iPhone app to track services, set reminders, and attach photos of receipts:
Will, or is, that app capable of tracking your mileage as you drive and automatically ticks down the mileage on your maintenance items? I’m looking for something like that - used to have a feature on my Lexus like that - it had all my maintenance items through the touchscreen and it would count down the miles as I drove.

I've always done my own oil and filter changes during the warranty period. I keep the receipts for supplies and parts and I keep a maintenance log.

When I changed the oil I took pictures of the oil and filter and the receipts. Those all went onto my iPhone and are kept in a auto maintenance folder in my Notes app. Easy to do and it solves the problem of fading receipts.

Are there any real examples when warranty is denied due to DIY oil changes if you have receipts?
Yes there is, I posted on in message #45. Did you not see it? Here it is again
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/edmonton-man-s-engine-destroyed-after-oil-change-1.3413778

I also have a personal example in the US a colleague of mine’s sister on Long Island, NY whose late model Subaru Outback with 19,000 miles on it had a catastrophic engine failure at highway speeds due to a thrown rod that resulted in a hole in the engine block. It could easily result in fatalities. This was two years ago. However it was being told to me on a day by day basis as events unfolded.

Though it is a new Subaru still under warranty she had the oil changed by a local mechanic not the dealer since new a guy in her parish, and also done just days before the incident. The Outback was towed to the selling dealership. Engine was a total loss. Dealership service department said the engine lacked engine oil causing failure of lubrication and refused service. And we have no records of reqired service here at XYZ Subaru of Long Island. At some point the Moss Magnusson act was brought up the tired canard and magic bullet here at Bob. I have receipts she says.

By gosh you do, so take your car back to Billy Joe Bob garage and let them fix it. She calls BJ Bob who says I’ve been a mechanic for 30 years and when this car came off the lift it had 5 quarts of oil and a new filter. Not exactly DIY if it were DIY you would be even worse off.

Now it’s a he said, she said. She opens a case with Subaru. Subaru regional engineer is brought in, looks at the car and says no dice, case closed. Moreover engine oil drain plug now appears to be missing: likely cause of oil loss.

She goes to dealership service manager who says, do I know you? Never seen you in here at XYZ Subaru of LI before. In the unlikely event one of our skilled factory trained techs had worked on your car the warranty work would have been fully honored but unfortunately, we have never serviced this new Subaru so we cannot help you.

Now she goes back to BJ Bob at the garage who says well, the dealership is full of it. Of course we put on the drain plug we even put on a new crush washer (not listed on the receipt). But we can extend a full refund on your $29.99 oil change.

How do you know that engine was not lacking oil in subaru due to a mistake made by BJ Bob? I would not necessarily accuse dealership of a lie. Do you think if dealership changes your oil and you come back 10 month later with blown engine that failed due to missing oil they will just cover it? THEY wont. If you read small print, you supposed to check oil level every time you put gas in your car. Did subaru person check it at every fill up?

Canada is a different beast than US.

A visual inspection of the engine will easily reveal if it was maintained.

Yes there is, I posted on in message #45. Did you not see it? Here it is again
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/edmonton-man-s-engine-destroyed-after-oil-change-1.3413778

I also have a personal example in the US a colleague of mine’s sister on Long Island, NY whose late model Subaru Outback with 19,000 miles on it had a catastrophic engine failure at highway speeds due to a thrown rod that resulted in a hole in the engine block. It could easily result in fatalities. This was two years ago. However it was being told to me on a day by day basis as events unfolded.

Though it is a new Subaru still under warranty she had the oil changed by a local mechanic not the dealer since new a guy in her parish, and also done just days before the incident. The Outback was towed to the selling dealership. Engine was a total loss. Dealership service department said the engine lacked engine oil causing failure of lubrication and refused service. And we have no records of reqired service here at XYZ Subaru of Long Island. At some point the Moss Magnusson act was brought up the tired canard and magic bullet here at Bob. I have receipts she says.

By gosh you do, so take your car back to Billy Joe Bob garage and let them fix it. She calls BJ Bob who says I’ve been a mechanic for 30 years and when this car came off the lift it had 5 quarts of oil and a new filter. Not exactly DIY if it were DIY you would be even worse off.

Now it’s a he said, she said. She opens a case with Subaru. Subaru regional engineer is brought in, looks at the car and says no dice, case closed. Moreover engine oil drain plug now appears to be missing: likely cause of oil loss.

She goes to dealership service manager who says, do I know you? Never seen you in here at XYZ Subaru of LI before. In the unlikely event one of our skilled factory trained techs had worked on your car the warranty work would have been fully honored but unfortunately, we have never serviced this new Subaru so we cannot help you.

Now she goes back to BJ Bob at the garage who says well, the dealership is full of it. Of course we put on the drain plug we even put on a new crush washer (not listed on the receipt). But we can extend a full refund on your $29.99 oil change.
I am sure if the dealer did the oil change and the tech left didn't tighten the drain plug the manufacture wouldn't warranty the engine either.

I am sure if the dealer did the oil change and the tech left didn't tighten the drain plug the manufacture wouldn't warranty the engine either.
Yes, it would have to come out of dealer pocket. But you will get low oil pressure and you supposed to immediately stop driving, if you continue, they are not responsible

Sounds like the Subaru dealership my friend went to on Long Island. He has a wrx sti he banked an off ramp sump went dri and blew the engine. They told him he didn’t have enough oil in the pan. And he had receipts within mileage and date that Subaru performed his oil changes. Maybe something wrong with subi engines

Sounds like the Subaru dealership my friend went to on Long Island. He has a wrx sti he banked an off ramp sump went dri and blew the engine. They told him he didn’t have enough oil in the pan. And he had receipts within mileage and date that Subaru performed his oil changes. Maybe something wrong with subi engines
Was oil level normal when this happened?

Back