Doing own oil changes under warranty?

While under warranty I keep reciepts for oil and filters, and a spread sheet with the date I did the work and the miles on the vehicle at the time.

During warranty period (and somewhat beyond) I just get the regular maintenance done at the dealer and do an intermediate oil change between myself. The dealer doesn't need to know about it. Remember in Europe both BMW and VW (as well as MB and many others) suggest extended but variable (condition based) intervals of up to 30,000 km/18,641 mls under ideal driving conditions what translates to ~25,000 km/15,534 mls on the OLM in real world most often.
On one car I use the exact same oil that I supply to the dealer and an OE filter. On the second car I also use an OE filter but just a "similar" oil. It tests the same in an UOA as the one I provide to them for the regular maintenance as long they don't check for tungsten (which commonly isn't the case). That said, both my VW and BMW dealers actually use to tag both the oil filter housing and the drain plug with red paint, but it's easy to mimic. On the third car, well, I was a child when it's been under warranty.....

My 2020 Tundra routine. When I change oil (5k) I use their app to log date, oil used, filter used and type so they and me have electronic records. I use Amsoil OE and Amsoil filter and buy online so my Amsoil account serves as date bought/delivered if I ever nees reciept.

This!

Scott
No need to worry, the car will be out of the factory and extended warranty by then! :giggle: I keep receipts because you can sell a car for more money to a private party if you have maintenance records to go with it.

Another question haha From my other posts I made the last few days about my wife's new Rav 4, I plan on doing my own oil changes in it. I work at a GM dealer as tech so I'm kinda capable of doing my own work.
Now I seen that crappy tire actually has Mobil 1 0w16 on sale this week for 29.99 which is good because I don't see it on sale often and it being basically half price, I'd like to buy some and stock up... Now here's my stupid question. Far as receipts go, can I buy multiple jugs on 1 receipt and multiple filters on 1 receipt or should I have 1 jug per receipt and 1 filter so each oil change has its own receipts? I was kinda thinking buy one jug, go back in buy another so I have 1 for each oil change with its own filter and document everything and keep everything seperate... Buy everything same day but keep it all seperate so each oil change has its own documentation... I know it's crazy but rather here everyone's opinion on what they do
What ever way you do it make sure the receipt stands up to test of time as any claim will require original receipts, my NAPA receipts printed on a full page are in perfect condition, many of my "standard" cash register receipts have faded or disappeared ink!

Contrary to a snide remark further back in this thread, Hundai/Kia are not necessarily looking to deny claims since the problems years ago.

Talking to a service rep while buying oil filter, re: oil changes, he told me that the only time they start looking for poor owner maintenance is when they see obvious signs of abuse in the engine, ie. sludge, etc. ITs fairly obvious if you know what you're looking for.

If you have a Hyundai or Kia, under warranty and have engine trouble, they will try VERY hard to deny warranty work because you did your own oil changes.
I also save every receipt, write mileage and date down on said receipt, AND have a maintenance log that shows the oil and filter was to spec for that car, plus take pictures incase they try to pull that nonsense.

You CAN change your own oil under warranty without issues, but some manufactures like to give you a hard time, say you can ONLY use This filter ect.... and then try to deny warranty work.
If you dont have the ksds update they will, they know better than to try to violate the terms of the engine settlement, many denial are because the vehicle owner didn't bother to get the update, and as stated in the terms of the settlement Kia/Hyundai can and will deny the warranty,even if you change your oil and filter daily.

I use the Toyota owners website that has a mainenance records page for each vehicle I own. But all my cars are long since out of warranty. I would use dealer service department for they simple reason they know you.

Just curious, but when was the last time a warranty was denied because one changed their own oil?
Mitsubish has forefeited the entire 5 year / 100,000 mile warranty not just one warranty claim, if owners do not regularly present their vehicle at the dealership, for periodic inspections. That means even if you change your own oil you still must make an appointment at the dealer and keep it, so they check your work.

Mitsubish has forefeited the entire 5 year / 100,000 mile warranty not just one warranty claim, if owners do not regularly present their vehicle at the dealership, for periodic inspections. That means even if you change your own oil you still must make an appointment at the dealer and keep it, so they check your work.
I don't think this is accurate. I really would like to read where that info you got came from.

Nor does anyone need to keep receipts. A simple record of the date and miles and what you did would more then stand up in court. I am sure we have some attorneys that are members that can explain better. Also we have the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act .
Last time I looked in the USA court of law you swear to tell the truth.

I don't keep invoices but I do keep a detailed log not to mention a few oil analysis alone the way. Oh and all of those forum pictures I have posted changing the oil and dating the oil filter before I installed it would make it rather undeniable if questioned I would think HA!

I might also point out that in a 40 year period you would be hard pressed to find many warranty claims denied from an auto manufacture based on an engine failure do to not changing the oil and oil filter at regular intervals. They would have to show definitive proof that the cause of engine failure to change the engine oil and filter.
I mean think about that... who buys a new vehicle and never change the oil and filter in it. We all get reminders in the snail mail, email and even on our cell phones reminding us and also enticing us to go get it done because of specials!!!!!!! LOL

Walmart is always the cheapest place to buy oil, even if the parts stores have it on sale, Still cheaper.
AT one time Chain auto parts store had the best price on motor oils because they would purchase in such high quantities that stores like K-mart Target and walmark could not compete. Now its all turned around. Back in the day my Auto Parts store and even if I combined my order with my Performance Auto Parts store the best discount I could ever get was buying 4 pallets at a time every month in the 80's. At least I could compete with everyone and oil was simply a lost leader for me.

I take a picture of myself holding up the oil, filter, and a copy of the day's news paper and mail it to myself registered mail and put the unopened letter in my safe deposit box.

You know .... just in case.
(y):cool:

Here is just a few I grabbed real quick. There are "lots" more I just can't find them .... LOL

Attachments

• 20200729_112324_resize_5e355749e22df73b8f3697156bec301c77b12224.jpg
    20200729_112324_resize_5e355749e22df73b8f3697156bec301c77b12224.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 10
  • editedof_e8657b8b4e81ffe8a0cf705fdf84fc96f3108ad0.jpg
    editedof_e8657b8b4e81ffe8a0cf705fdf84fc96f3108ad0.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 10
  • img_20210507_081440305_resize_c0f55fe1e799dc7d17ab70ae56623f302dfbf5b8.jpg
    img_20210507_081440305_resize_c0f55fe1e799dc7d17ab70ae56623f302dfbf5b8.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 10
  • img_20210728_090645899_resize_edfd92dffaa024ad917e17b831c8171c4ec956f4.jpg
    img_20210728_090645899_resize_edfd92dffaa024ad917e17b831c8171c4ec956f4.jpg