Doing own oil changes under warranty?

Another question haha From my other posts I made the last few days about my wife's new Rav 4, I plan on doing my own oil changes in it. I work at a GM dealer as tech so I'm kinda capable of doing my own work.
Now I seen that crappy tire actually has Mobil 1 0w16 on sale this week for 29.99 which is good because I don't see it on sale often and it being basically half price, I'd like to buy some and stock up... Now here's my stupid question. Far as receipts go, can I buy multiple jugs on 1 receipt and multiple filters on 1 receipt or should I have 1 jug per receipt and 1 filter so each oil change has its own receipts? I was kinda thinking buy one jug, go back in buy another so I have 1 for each oil change with its own filter and document everything and keep everything seperate... Buy everything same day but keep it all seperate so each oil change has its own documentation... I know it's crazy but rather here everyone's opinion on what they do

I'd just get one long receipt with oil and filters only on it. Have cashier scan oil and filter, oil and filter etc and just note the date by the oil and filter when used.

I’d ask at the dealer you work for what they think.. but agree with dbias. You could even post here with a pic of the oil change as documentation.

I maintain aunt's 16' Avalon. I only buy the oil and filter before every oil change, write the date and mileage on it, and make a copy. Have every service record in order in a folder.

For my Genesis I did the same, except at the end of the oil change I would record me pouring the oil in through the oil fill cap, then get in the car and show the odometer for the mileage. I'd also say the day's date. Then upload the video to YouTube as unlisted so only I can see it. Maybe an extra minute's worth of work.

I'm doing my own 7500km (in-between) changes and VW doing the 15, 30 and 45k changes on my 21 VW Polo GTI. I bought bulk Castrol 5W40 packs on sale and all on one receipt. I also printed a table maintenance schedule which I'll attach a VW filter receipt to on each change and fill out the details to match. The dealer was happy and knows I like to do more than they deem necessary.

Where does it say in the warranty no to it your self oil changes?
Canada has different consumer's laws, and if you have something go wrong you'll have to jump through hoops to make your case and PROVE that it wasn't your doing. Nor worth IMO for the $ savings for the warranty period.

If you have a Hyundai or Kia, under warranty and have engine trouble, they will try VERY hard to deny warranty work because you did your own oil changes.
I also save every receipt, write mileage and date down on said receipt, AND have a maintenance log that shows the oil and filter was to spec for that car, plus take pictures incase they try to pull that nonsense.

You CAN change your own oil under warranty without issues, but some manufactures like to give you a hard time, say you can ONLY use This filter ect.... and then try to deny warranty work.

NEVER a warranty problem changing your own oil - usually some problem with someone else changing your oil - even the dealer. Just keep your receipts and a log of date and mileage and a signature of whom it was that performed the work - even if it was you.
I keep the filter box lid or cellophane wrapper also. If you want to be really nutty you can keep the old filters you removed - I do this too.
My biggest issue has been with the thermal print receipts "fading" and "disappearing". You may have to keep them in a folder or in a freezer baggy in the house rather than in the glove compartment. If you loose things - as we do sometimes - we started an excel spread sheet called ' Where IS it? that helps us keep track of where things were put away that may not be used in 6 months or a year.

Don't forget to perform required Inspections and fluid and safety checks in the Maintenance Table,

Enjoy! And do you REALLY want to run 0W16 in that? Well that is a subject for another thread already on this forum ... somewhere.

Canada has different consumer's laws, and if you have something go wrong you'll have to jump through hoops to make your case and PROVE that it wasn't your doing. Nor worth IMO for the $ savings for the warranty period.
And one would think that the Canadian owner's manual or warranty book would reflect such a difference.

I made a folder in Dropbox just for oil changes so I take pictures of the receipt and record it then do same with filter. When I change oil I take pictures of oil and filter with odometer then put that in folder. I also log into Mopar owners and log. Not sure if Toyota has an owners page but if they do then you can log it there.

If you are going this route, I would scan/photo every receipt you have. Unless stores in Canada use some super duper ink to print with, the receipts will be unreadable within a couple of years.

Another question haha From my other posts I made the last few days about my wife's new Rav 4, I plan on doing my own oil changes in it. I work at a GM dealer as tech so I'm kinda capable of doing my own work.
Now I seen that crappy tire actually has Mobil 1 0w16 on sale this week for 29.99 which is good because I don't see it on sale often and it being basically half price, I'd like to buy some and stock up... Now here's my stupid question. Far as receipts go, can I buy multiple jugs on 1 receipt and multiple filters on 1 receipt or should I have 1 jug per receipt and 1 filter so each oil change has its own receipts? I was kinda thinking buy one jug, go back in buy another so I have 1 for each oil change with its own filter and document everything and keep everything seperate... Buy everything same day but keep it all seperate so each oil change has its own documentation... I know it's crazy but rather here everyone's opinion on what they do

I made a folder in Dropbox just for oil changes so I take pictures of the receipt and record it then do same with filter. When I change oil I take pictures of oil and filter with odometer then put that in folder. I also log into Mopar owners and log. Not sure if Toyota has an owners page but if they do then you can log it there.
Toyota does have an Owners page that you could log into and input various maintenance services. After filling out the Service, you can print it out. It’s has the appearance of a Service ticket.

Toyota Owners Registration Page

For my 2020 Rav4 I don't keep any records of my oil changes. I'm not the least bit worried. I'm confident that it won't have a warranty claim on an oil related issue that Toyota will try to deny and blame on my oil change history. Which is strange due to my profession in the pharmaceutical manufacturing world where we say if it wasn't documented, it never happened. C'est la vie. But than again, at work, our signature saying we did the work proves accountability. From a legal or warranty sense, just saying you did it doesn't prove you actually did do it. Receipts just prove you bought oil and filters. Doesn't prove you actually used them at the appropriate intervals.

Yep keep good records. And Toyota will only do 10,000 mile oil changes under warranty unless you have a really good dealer who will cover them. They do tire rotations every 5,000. Not sure if that is different in Canada or not but that is just to get you out of the warranty so I’d definitely be doing my own.

This is not the case at all.

Back