Does synthetic protect better than dino

what a great group of folks here. you take things so far beyond what i was looking for.
simple point i was asking is, say two trucks, or cars, both same engine, driven same path to same job everyday. or as close to identical operating environments as one can achieve. i believe the dino will protect the engine just as good as the synthetic.

If the engine is maintained on a regular basis I don't think it really matters using synthetic or conventional. Today's oils are so well made even the cheapest house brands are great. Most likely a transmission failure or accident will retire a vehicle now days, not an engine lubrication issue.

Using the conditions you state (normal OCIs, decent typical ICE example, no obscene temps), then you are actually correct.

The difference you're going to be reading about in both the replies above, and those that will follow mine, is the concept of lab proof versus real world data driven results.

The conceptual difference is that syns are more "capable" in some conditions; better at extreme heat, better at holding vis in really long OCIs, better at uber-cold pumpability, etc. But, those all mean exactly zilch when your conditional limitations are in place. Products which are extremely capable in extreme conditions do not always exhibit their superiority when the conditions are not very challenging. Having "more" of something when it's not required is of no real tangible benefit, despite the nearly hysterical drum-beating cacophony of the masses claiming it to be so.

I've got over 25,000 UOAs in my database by now, and there's actually very good proof that good quality conventional oils do every bit of the job as well as synthetics, under the parameters you state. There is no credible claim to say that syns are "better" under the conditions you operate in. I have personally run home experiments in multiple vehicles over the years and posted the results here. I have studied (literally) tens of thousands of UOAs; I'm a statistical process quality control engineer by trade. I can say without any compunction whatsoever that syns do NOT perform "better" when the use factors are totally "normal". And in fact, I've seen many examples where the capability of dinos far exceeds what most would believe to be true.

Syns are great products and they are worth the expense ONLY when the circumstances of their use allow their capability to shine brighter than a conventional oil. If you cannot differentiate the claimed superiority of a product from those of other choices, then the reality is that the product is not actually "better", despite all the marketing hype and bloviating hypothesis.

Simply put, there's a huge difference between which MIGHT be "better" IF something MIGHT happen, versus something not actually doing any better because the conditions are not challenging enough to bring out disparities between product performance.

Here's a few examples of how this really works in the crankcase of your vehicle: (I am using simple numbers for the sake of the example)
EX 1: ability to hold soot in suspension
Suppose you have an engine that produces 10 grams of soot every 10k miles (1 gram/1k miles). Now you have two oils to choose from ...
oil "A" is capable of holding 30 grams of soot in suspension before the oil add-pack gets overwhelmed and it will leave deposits behind
oil "C" is capable of holding 15 grams of soot in suspension before the oil add-pack gets overwhelmed and it will leave deposits behind
Now, if your planned OCIs are only 5k miles, you're only going to have around 5 grams of soot in the lube, total. That's WELL below both the total capability of the soot carrying capacity of both lubes. Even if you accidentally overrun the planned 5k mile OCI by 3k miles, you're still well below the danger level of both lubes. Was oil A "better" in these circumstances? Well, not really - none whatsoever. Despite the claimed superiority, the conditions will never get so bad that the "better" oil can ever distinguish itself. Only if the OCI went over 15k miles would it really make a difference.

EX 2: ability to tolerate extreme temps
Suppose you drive a normal n/a engine with no known design flaws. The typical operating temp of the oil is kept "normal" by an OEM oil cooling circuit, and the oil typically runs around 210F. Even if you sit in stop/go traffic in summer in your area, it still only gets up to around 220F, because the OEM cooler is using a liquid/liquid cooler circuit to dissipate the heat from the oil into the coolant, and then dump it to atmosphere via the radiator.
oil "A" can survive to 300F before coking and causing deposit issues
oil "C" can survive to 250F before coking and causing deposit issues
The reality is that both oils are more than capable of sustaining even the most extreme temp your situation experiences. That oil A can survive "more" heat is of no consequence, because the conditions never get that extreme. The higher temperature capability of oil A matters not; it's simply wasted capacity. Oil A cannot distinguish itself over oil B because the condition don't get hot enough in real use.
The same can be said of cold temps; if you never get below freezing in your area, then pumpability at -25F is kind of moot; it doesn't happen to you.

The concept to understand above is that until a condition (temps, OCI, contamination, etc) exceeds the capability of the lessor product, then the superior product isn't doing "better", because both are doing "well enough" to survive the operational conditions.

As I'm sure I'm going to be challenged for my proof, I offer these:

That something CAN be better, does not automatically mean it WILL be better; that depends upon the circumstances. The reality is that unless a product can distinguish itself in real-world use, under the conditions which you can reasonably expect to occur, then there's no ability to claim any one product is superior to another. Lab testing (and even field testing) which exhibit uber-stupid-extreme conditions you'll never see really are not "proof" that something is better; it's only proof that marketing and rhetoric are proven ways to separate a fool and his money.
Great post.

If the engine is maintained on a regular basis I don't think it really matters using synthetic or conventional. Today's oils are so well made even the cheapest house brands are great. Most likely a transmission failure or accident will retire a vehicle now days, not an engine lubrication issue.
You need special motor oil for HEMIs ;) - otherwise, they implode...

hemi.jpg

The concept to understand above is that until a condition (temps, OCI, contamination, etc) exceeds the capability of the lessor product, then the superior product isn't doing "better", because both are doing "well enough" to survive the operational conditions.
That's exactly the point that lots of people on this forum miss. Everyone keeps saying "synthetic is better" without considering that "better" real world constrains. Marketing works...

Example: Silver is better conductor than copper and copper is better than aluminum.
However we don't wire our houses with silver wires because that "better" capability is not relevant for our use.

That's exactly the point that lots of people on this forum miss. Everyone keeps saying "synthetic is better" without considering that "better" real world constrains. Marketing works...

Example: Silver is better conductor than copper and copper is better than aluminum.
However we don't wire our houses with silver wires because that "better" capability is not relevant for our use.
Aluminum is used less than copper for residential wiring, but it's still used. We don't use silver because it's expensive.

Synthetic oil is competing on price with conventional oil to the point that it's cheaper to just buy "synthetic." Does that make sense?

Is it better? The marketing sure is. Because that's all it is at this point, marketing, as all motor oil in the US has to be blended to certain standards. Unless you want to use Dollar Store motor oil, and that's up to you and how much you value your own vehicle

Synthetic oil is competing on price with conventional oil
Those cheap oils are actually not "synthetic". They are slightly processed oils.
Anyway, "define better" in your application. If you say they are better because they can withstand 350F, does you car reaches that temperature?
Better because you think you can leave that oil in a new car more miles than manufacturer recommends? Why would you do that? There are other aspects that makes the change of oil needed at for example 6 months, regardless of how many miles you drive.

An example: Seals in the cars really like normal oils. They put additives in the true synthetic oils to compensate for that, but eventually those additives wear out (before anything else in the oil itself) and rubber seals harden. That's why car manufacturers still make and sell semi synthetic oils under their brad.
Example Motorcraft/Ford, they recommend for their older cars synthetic blend: https://www.motorcraft.com/us/en_us...ants/motor-oil/gasoline-engine-motor-oil.html

I learned in the first year the difference after switching to Mobil 1 synthetic from running Pennzoil 10W30. During the summer in high temperatures and in traffic my oil temperatures would routinely hit 210-230 degrees with the regular Pennzoil conventional oil even with an oil cooler. After switching to Mobil 1 in the same situation my oil temperatures dropped into the 180-190 degree range.

In the winter with temperatures in the low twenties when I started up the car, the oil pressure gauge would peg at 100 psi until the engine started to warmup. With the Mobil 1 the oil pressure would only run at 75-80 psi at start up.

I'll never switch back to conventional after seeing the difference.

Last edited:
Okay, so what are group III, Visom, EHC45, and GTL base oils?
In US Castrol won the case against Mobil1, so group III can be called "Full Synthetic"
In Germany they lost, so the group III is not called "Synthetic".
As for the GTL... there is a "bio" oil made probably from cow trimmings/lard. That could be called "Synthetic" too in US.
IMO if is not group IV, or V, it's just improved dyno oil.
Nothing wrong with that group III IMO, it's just not "synthetic" to me. Our cars are not race demons that need 350F oils... Obsession with "synthetic is best" is driven by marketing.

PS: Margarine is not butter either...

Last edited:
Id say the molecular structure of synthetic alone should prove that it protects better than dino does. Synthetic handles heat and cold better than dino does as well.
Where is the spec stating "synthetic" has different molecular structure? Where can I send oil samples that can tell me wither it is synthetic or refined?

If synthetic is superior, and "everyone" is saying "how dare you question motherhood!", where is the performance certification/standard for an oil to be "synthetic". Why is the standard, "how it is made" and not "performance of the product"?

The Mobil-1/Castrol Syntec court case was tried in a private court of binding arbitration, and tried on marketing terms not scientific, engineering, or chemistry. The result is the only definition we have and doesn't say anything about the end product only that "manufactured with processes which are generally accepted as synthetic."

Back to the original question, where is the proof that a synthetic motor oil is superior? Costco has $2.50/qt synthetic. Where are the standards, the certification, that this oil is superior to a refined oil? Or superior to any oil? That it is not the worst SAE/API S-category oil ever made?

"Deposit control" has been mentioned. Since when is that an inherent property of synthetic-process manufactured base oil? Amsoil's infamous Lifetime Oil Change was a non-detergent oil. Engines failed due to excess deposits. Detergent is an additive up to the blender. One of many additives over and above "synthetic".

I do not doubt synthetic processes can produce a superior motor oil but I do doubt the claim that all synthetic motor oils are superior. If all synthetic was inherently superior then all synthetic would be equal. "Costco has $2.50 synthetic! Why is this even a debate in 2021!" says exactly that all synthetics are superior and equal.

"Deposit control" has been mentioned. Since when is that an inherent property of synthetic-process manufactured base oil? Amsoil's infamous Lifetime Oil Change was a non-detergent oil. Engines failed due to excess deposits. Detergent is an additive up to the blender. One of many additives over and above "synthetic".
There was no such thing. You maybe are thinking of something else? Don't know, but please keep it factual.

There was no such thing. You maybe are thinking of something else? Don't know, but please keep it factual.
No worries, the non-sense will accrue. I was afraid of this. That's why I made the sarcastic comment that I made on the first page of this thread. It's not going to go anywhere. Maybe one of the moderators can close this thread for everyone's sake.

The OP should have been more diligent, and at the very least, made an effort to read the information available on the front page of BITOG. There is tons of useful information.

It is not that hard to understand that we don't really have mineral motor oil anymore. All motor oil is engineered and synthesized, and we can only go by approvals and certifications and manufacturer reputation (AMSOIL, Red Line, Driven, HPL, etc.) to judge such motor oil. It's not as cut and dry as judging by the base stock used or the visible additives on a cheap VOA/UOA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those cheap oils are actually not "synthetic". They are slightly processed oils.
Baloney! Even the cheapest store brand syns are better than dinos. They all come from one of the major oil companies anyway. If I can get store brand syns at the same price, or even close to the same price as name brand dinos, I'm taking the syn every time...

Baloney! Even the cheapest store brand syns are better than dinos. They all come from one of the major oil companies anyway. If I can get store brand syns at the same price, or even close to the same price as name brand dinos, I'm taking the syn every time...
The lowest tier oil I can find at Walmart is Synthetic Blend. Can you even find Dino anymore at the store, lol?

Back