Does High Octane Fuel Store Longer?

QuikTrip sells Top Tier E0 (ethanol-free) 90 octane gas. This is what you should use. You have QuikTrip stations all around the Dallas area.
None of them sell E0. DFW area QTs are all E10, E85, and slowly but surely, E15, which none of my vehicles can take.

The Buc-ees in Denton is the closest one.

Ps. I just called Quick Trip's corporate information number and they told me that QT does NOT sell E0 at any of their locations in Texas anymore.

Last edited:
I know you said that E0 wasn't available near you, just want to make sure that you have checked pro lawn equipment retailers and any marinas that may be around you. If neither of those exist, VP or Sunoco both sell E0 in a 5 gallon container, or you can buy the E0 in 2 gallon containers at the big box stores if no other options exist.
Excellent tip, I will look into it!

Every QuikTrip in Central Texas where I live (a non-attainment area, like Dallas) has E0, and every QuikTrip that I have personally visited elsewhere in Texas has had E0.
QuikTrip here and KwikTrip in the midwest are not the same company.
If you are actually in an EPA nonattainment area such as the five-county area here in southeastern Wisconsin then it is illegal for any station to sell gasoline without an oxygenate. Yes I know the difference between the companies and again it’s not tied to a brand. Kwik Trip here in Wisconsin also sells E0 but not in the nonattainment zones nor in areas that have voluntarily decided to be included.

If E0 is being sold then it’s either you’re mistaken, it’s not a zone or it’s illegal. It has nothing to do with the brand.

I've been storing cars, motorcycles, lawn mowers, power washers, etc over the last 20+ years with E10 in the fuel system and have never had an issue. Many of those years were with no fuel stabilizer either. They all fire up 5-6 months later and run great, just like they were just used.

I've been storing cars, motorcycles, lawn mowers, power washers, etc over the last 20+ years with E10 in the fuel system and have never had an issue. Many of those years were with no fuel stabilizer either. They all fire up 5-6 months later and run great, just like they were just used.
Wow! That's great! You must have a really good gas station... That has not been my experience.

That’s been my experience here as well, we’ve had an oxygenate mandate since the 1990s with EtOH being used for about 15 years.

None of them sell E0. DFW area QTs are all E10, E85, and slowly but surely, E15, which none of my vehicles can take.

The Buc-ees in Denton is the closest one.

Ps. I just called Quick Trip's corporate information number and they told me that QT does NOT sell E0 at any of their locations in Texas anymore.
Hmmm... Quick Trip's corporate information lied. I just purchased E0 three days ago at the QT two miles from my house. I wasn't mistaken, the ethanol-free E0 is clearly marked, the filler hose is separate from the filler hose for other oxygenated fuels, and it has a red handle (vs yellow for the oxygenated fuels). Half of the pumps dispense E0 and the other half dispense diesel and have a green handle. They don't have E85 or E15 at all.
Something that I wasn't aware of... we were removed from EPA non-attainment status in 2020 since our air pollution levels have dropped below EPA limits and stayed there for two years. We still have to get our vehicle's emission checked every year though (I guess that's a state required thing).

Hmmm... Quick Trip's corporate information lied. I just purchased E0 three days ago at the QT two miles from my house. I wasn't mistaken, the ethanol-free E0 is clearly marked, the filler hose is separate from the filler hose for other oxygenated fuels, and it has a red handle (vs yellow for the oxygenated fuels). Half of the pumps dispense E0 and the other half dispense diesel and have a green handle. They don't have E85 or E15 at all.
Something that I wasn't aware of... we were removed from EPA non-attainment status in 2020 since our air pollution levels have dropped below EPA limits and stayed there for two years. We still have to get our vehicle's emission checked every year though (I guess that's a state required thing).
I wouldn't doubt it. The girl on the phone who said her ne was Tiffany didn't seem to know what I was asking... I had to explain that E0 meant non ethanol gasoline... At which she promptly replied, "We don't sell that anymore."

Anyhow, none of the QTs in my area have E0. But thanks for your reply and trying to help!

A lot of people recommend using high octane for motorcycle storage, and I wanted to understand why.
The reason is that as gasoline ages in the gas tank, it can lose some of it's octane rating over time. So, they fill with high octane in the fall, hoping the gas in the spring is still good.

With today's sealed fuel systems, it is less of an issue.

I use only use Top Tier fuel, prefer Chevron, Texaco, Exxon, and Shell.

I was told by my Honda guy just to shut the petcock when I turn it off. No need to try and "dry out" the carb bowl... But I do it anyway!

There's no E0 within a 100 miles of me in Dallas. Only E10, E15, and E85.

I'm not paying $10.99 for a quart of E0 at Home Depot... LOL

Let me see if I can scare up some E0 racing fuel. I've got a few other fuel injected bikes that would probably appreciate it too.
Buc-ee’s in Melissa, TX (just north of Dallas) has e0 in 87 octane. I filled up my ‘85 van there on my way to/from Wisconsin in July/August. Most Austin-area QT stations stations have 90 octane e0. I just filled some cans with e0 over the weekend at a QT in Round Rock/Pflugerville, which is in a county that does smog inspections (Travis/Williamson County).

Last edited:
QT has the same setup in the Austin area, but there are no statewide smog tests. Inspections in Hays County don’t include smog and are $7. Go down the road to Travis County and it’s something like double the price and includes a smog test.

Or you can just make your own non-ethanol!

Has to be 91 octane or higher!!!!!
I've done this on a gallon's worth and though I didn't get all the food coloring out I dropped my ethanol content by around 80%.

QT has the same setup in the Austin area, but there are no statewide smog tests. Inspections in Hays County don’t include smog and are $7. Go down the road to Travis County and it’s something like double the price and includes a smog test.
The yearly state inspection in Travis County is $18 and includes the smog test. Smog tests are required in 17 Texas counties (Brazoria, Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, El Paso, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Johnson, Kaufman, Montgomery, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, Travis and Williamson) which started in five of these counties in 2002. All of these counties were EPA non-attainment areas at some point. Travis and Williamson counties were removed in 2020 but we are still required to get the smog test.
I went to a second QT this morning, it also had 90 octane E0. I don't often use it in my van because it is so expensive (higher than premium E10), but the van sure does like it. I do use it in my motorcycle, boat, and OPE.

i live less than 2 miles from 2 different QTs and i only put red handle E0 in my vfr800 (ya know mention a motorcycle in the motorcycle forum) it is about 55cents a gallon more then the 87octane swill. QT has offered E0 since the day they opened and every day since.
i live in williamson county and have NEVER had my 2013 toyota tacoma ... never. its inspection is due in november and so i'll drive to stickerstop and have it done again.

It's humorous when people state that ethanol is bad because it's hygroscopic but then recommend adding Seafoam which is ~30% isopropanol with similar hygroscopic tendencies.
The difference, huge difference, is isopropanol and water disperse in gasoline, while ethanol and water phase separate.

The difference, huge difference, is isopropanol and water disperse in gasoline, while ethanol and water phase separate.

Ethanol and water do NOT phase separate until the amount of water exceeds a certain amount.

The same is likely true of isopropanol.

E10 can absorb about 20ml of water per gallon before phase separation starts to pull water-diluted ethanol out of the gasoline.

Reference: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/how-can-10-ethonal-gas-produce-73-alcohol-with-water.946301/

Back