Does anyone think Mobil 1 is

Status
Not open for further replies.
the best oil under six bucks a quart? Am I hearing that it's better then GC for general automotive use? Better than PP and the version of Amsoil that's the same price? After all, Mobil 1 is the official oil of NASCAR, right? Could all these Mobil 1 supporters be wrong? The ads on TV are kind of interesting. I don't see Amsoil or GC on TV, and PP either. It must be common knowledge that Mobil 1 is better, and what can you say against that?

$8.99 at Canadian Tire for a quart of M1, I think it's something like $10.99 or a bit more for a quart of M1 at an Esso gas station.

Mobil 1 is $5.68/qt plus tax. I think M1 is good stuff but Redline at $7.00/qt plus shipping is better IMHO. At least when Redline makes the viscosity I need , which they almost always do.

I think GC 0W-30 at $5.00/qt is better than M1,

I am also curious as to Pennzoil Platinum at $3.97/qt ...this might be one of the better deals out there.

Jeez, here, the M1 is $6.78, and the EP is $7.15. GC is a moot point, never see it in the stores. And the PP is $3.97 at WallyWorld, but they don't have 5W20. PP is $5.58 a quart at Advanced..

Someone explain THAT price swing to me..

quote:

Originally posted by LarryL:
After all, Mobil 1 is the official oil of NASCAR, right?

LOL - the "Mobil 1" poured into NASCAR racers ain't by any means the same Mobil 1 stocked at WalMart that you and I can buy.
wink.gif

Yep, probably the best widely available bang for the buck. I think all Wal-Marts carry the 5 qt jug of 5W30 and 10W30 for around $21, making it about $4.20/qt.

local super autobacs sells 5w-20 royal purple for $5.99

how would that stack up
tongue.gif

mobil 1 5w-20 is hard to find much cheaper than that, never seen it in 5 quart jugs

[ June 28, 2006, 12:28 AM: Message edited by: outersquare ]

quote:

Originally posted by cos:
Yep, probably the best widely available bang for the buck. I think all Wal-Marts carry the 5 qt jug of 5W30 and 10W30 for around $21, making it about $4.20/qt.

Ditto. $21/5qt jug...THAT makes it a great value compared to others...IMO

I have PP in mine right now, just to try it...gas mileage is up a little(5W-30 being used), but since it isn't 'confirmed' yet by enough UOAs, I'll be going back to M1 next oil change and running it comfortably(in my mind, too
smile.gif

I use Mobil 1, but when my stash runs out I'll turn to the PP I got at half-price last spring. This is what will probably happen...

"Man, this PP seems to be making my car run ______ (insert "smoother," "quieter," "super-duper") and I'm so much more happy with my vehicle's performance."

Is that reality? Probably not. I think any major synthetic oil on the market is a great oil. But I'll have this PP cost savings hidden in the back of my mind and it'll have more influence than anything on my opinion of PP or Mobil. Then, when I go to my stash of Wallyworld Synthetic w/VSOT, I'll be doing it all over again.

I think that both "ekpolk" and "Bill in Utah" have produced "no wear" UOAs here with non-Mobil1. I don't really see how you can get better wear than no wear. Can you elaborate on what characteristic of M1 would be considered "better" than all other qt oils?

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
I think it's the best period. Had lots of vehicles go well past 200K using this stuff.

I think Mobil 1 is a great oil, but it is hard to use that argument. I have had vehicles go over 200,00 and 1 over 300,000 on Valvoline All Climate 5W30.

Mobil 1 has just climbed to about $6.20 a qt at the local Wal-Mart. It is just starting to get too expensive for me, so I have quit using it.

No, I find PP to be a far better oil for under $6. Mainly because its under $3.80 and has shown UOAs easily as good as mobil1.

Larry, I think Mobil's ad campaigns have succeeded against you way too much! If you want to judge oils, you have to first define the measures of greatness.

M1 is a great oil for a great price (when it's ~$20/5qts or B3G3free).

I couldn't see paying full price for it - in fact I couldn't pay full non-sale price for any oil after BITOG's rebate/sale forum. PP was less than $.50/qt after rebates at the beginning of the year, and before I could use that up, Maxlife is free!

The oil company with better TV commercial is always better. I never buy AMSOIL or Motul cause they have no TV Commericial. They dont even put their banners on NASCARS! If their stickers are not good enough for NASCAR then they must suck.

Valvoline has nice TV ads so I am sticking with what looks better on TV.

At the prices M1 can be had for at wal mart, you cant really beat it for most applications.

That said, M1 isnt an oil that is the best for all applications, but like any oil selection, UOA is the only way to really tell.

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back